British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

These coins are stunning unfortunately I have none with any nice toning :(((

So, this also raises a new point...what determines AT?

Is an old, deep grey, hammered coin, that has been cleaned from the ground, and then stored in an old collector's cabinet for 200 years, artificially toned?

Is a previously dipped coin, that's been sat on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard for the last year, artificially toned?

I think it's all about intent. A silver coin stored in inert conditions will over many years go though grey and eventually to black. Add any type of polution into the mix and you get colours. So is storing a silver coin in an old brown envelope AT or NT.
Apologies to all for sidetracking this great thread, but silver coins do not follow a predictable colour change! I recently lived right beside the Severn estuary, and any and ALL exposed coins would go steely blue with rainbow hues! It's been annoying to say the least, as they look atrocious until they go through this 'window' and either 'brown-out' or go dark enough that they don't look US rainbow-toned!

I've got an E7 Crown that I've had in said conditions, which I'm going to sell just as soon as I get it photographed (I'll post them up here for interest, though it's now much darker than it was in the rainbow zone), it's had nothing added, just a coin sat on the cupboard!

Hmmm, don't want to call anybody out, as they say, but a couple of the examples posted are suspicious for cleaning and then retoning, AT or not....

If any of the suspicious examples are mine, please feel free to "out" them as such.

Light golden toning on a 1907 florin:

Nice! I like it when the toning is in the hair giving that little bit of contrast.

1902 shilling:

That's a gawjus one Nick

Edit: so is the 1907, right up my street!

Edited by Paulus

While I do own some coins that have been cleaned, none of my coins have been cleaned by me. Neither have I ever resorted to AT. Indeed, in my naivety, I didn't know that such a thing existed until the recent thread.

Oh, I tone off all of mine by feeding them to Sumatran Civet cats. Messy process and the shipping costs are horrendous but the results .. oh, wait. Maybe that's my coffee ....

:lol:

Edited by TomGoodheart

While I do own some coins that have been cleaned, none of my coins have been cleaned by me. Neither have I ever resorted to AT. Indeed, in my naivety, I didn't know that such a thing existed until the recent thread.

Oh, I tone off all of mine by feeding them to Sumatran Civet cats. Messy process and the shipping costs are horrendous but the results .. oh, wait. Maybe that's my coffee ....

I like it :D:D

On a more serious note though, does he really need 6 images to show off a corroded 2p? Little wonder he started it at $6.99 as his fees for the extra images must come to nearly that. :blink:

I notice the postage costs are even higher than that. I assume that's because he has to send such a valuable piece by the American version of Special Delivery? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note though, does he really need 6 images to show off a corroded 2p? Little wonder he started it at $6.99 as his fees for the extra images must come to nearly that. :blink:

I notice the postage costs are even higher than that. I assume that's because he has to send such a valuable piece by the American version of Special Delivery? :rolleyes:

Like this? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start=150&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=914&tbm=isch&tbnid=t9I0sS7kfPvQfM:&imgrefurl=http://www.raleighscrapmetalrecycling.com/&docid=dc4iAls5kkKftM&imgurl=http://www.raleighscrapmetalrecycling.com/images/slider/slide-5.jpg&w=964&h=340&ei=zDNoUs_LAcTX0QW_ioGwCA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:53,s:100,i:163&iact=rc&page=5&tbnh=133&tbnw=348&ndsp=39&tx=164&ty=92

Like this? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start=150&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=914&tbm=isch&tbnid=t9I0sS7kfPvQfM:&imgrefurl=http://www.raleighscrapmetalrecycling.com/&docid=dc4iAls5kkKftM&imgurl=http://www.raleighscrapmetalrecycling.com/images/slider/slide-5.jpg&w=964&h=340&ei=zDNoUs_LAcTX0QW_ioGwCA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:53,s:100,i:163&iact=rc&page=5&tbnh=133&tbnw=348&ndsp=39&tx=164&ty=92

Uhhh, Nick how about bribing my silence by paying me off with the 1869 6d? LOL

OK, I don't want to start a witch hunt with my hide the designated target, but IMO a couple of questionables (okay excepting Nick and Accumulator, with whose I can't quibble):

the OP 1902 6d, cleaned and retoned

the 1834 2/6 , cleaned or dipped.

the 1787 jaggy bit cleaned/dipped and retoned

the 1911 2/6

the 1821 crown

that 1806 Colin G bit

OK, I don't want to start a witch hunt with my hide the designated target, but IMO a couple of questionables (okay excepting Nick and Accumulator, with whose I can't quibble):

the 1911 2/6

the 1821 crown

that 1806 Colin G bit

3 of mine there VS and absolutely no offence taken, always keen to learn! Certainly no cleaning done by myself in the 6 months - 4 years I have owned them. What are the tell-tale signs you are spotting? With cleaning I only really look for hair lines. With dipping a dull, lifeless quality that I find hard to put in to words! The 1834 and 1821 are both CGS slabbed, and the 1821 is ex DNW, neither mentioning possible previous cleaning or dipping, but I know they are sometimes often wrong!

1902_Sixpence_600_zps094f8ff9.png

Here's the OP coin again, I have never been in the least concerned about it from a cleaning/toning point of view, what have you spotted VS?

VS the 1806 is a copper proof hence the tone...it is perfectly natural....I personally think it is good that you challenged some of the coins

Edited by Colin G.

I guess it goes back to the point, what actually defines AT! Because a 're-toning nicely' coin, which many must be out there, or a time-suspended toned coin, which has suddenly been unlocked from its dark place (or slab) to begin a second, possibly third, stage of toning, is that a genuine tone?

Really difficult! But, I guess for myself, that, as long as the tone looks natural (ie not accelerated in any way) in its progression, it's all good!

Eye appeal is of course king and, to use the OP coin as an example, I'd want to suspend it in exactly the state it's in presently...which also begs the question, if someone had had the same thought in 1920, would it be a lesser coin not to have had its full 100 year whack of oxidation and grime? ;)

the 1911 2/6

the 1821 crown

that 1806 Colin G bit

Not a chance. :) You mean you don't have one in top grade?

the 1911 2/6

the 1821 crown

that 1806 Colin G bit

I'm not sure where I bought the 1787 6d ... but I think it was around 1984 from Joseph Lepczyk Auctions. In the time it has been in my possession it has not been dipped, cleaned or artificially toned.