British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coins can tone in so many ways. Some prove to be very attractive, some not at all.

I think the secret is even toning.

Some great examples pictured in this thread.

And I have to get a few pennies! Nice chocolate toning:

Penny1806%20P1328%20Bronze%20Proof%20REVPenny1831%20Proof%20CR%20REV%20500x500.j

Absolutely gorgeous !!!

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

I see Rob has been rummaging through the £1 tin again. :ph34r:

The 2F York 2/6 is magnificent.

And that CNUT and Cromwell! Blinking, Blimey, Bonkers!

And ALL the others on here...it's like a sweet shop! :)

That York Halfcrown has some eye appeal...there are some proper droolers in this thread!!

Cromwell shilling

c1260-Cromwellshilling_zps8c204140.jpg

I was rather hoping to see some more of Rob's coins in this thread! Excellent!! :) :) :)

Coins can tone in so many ways. Some prove to be very attractive, some not at all.

I think the secret is even toning.

Some great examples pictured in this thread.

Yes exactly, and NONE are like that glitzy shite over on the Yankee forum. Just goes to Show, Natural Tone has bugger all to do with a rainbow, let the petrol boy continues their AT habits

I'm getting such an attack of the 'I wants' from the pics on here, I definitely prefer attractively naturally toned coins to un-toned (I guess that's obvious!) It really is a joy looking through these!!

Another E7, this one with some gentle lilac toning:

1904_FL_Sellers_zps166ba4ba.png

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

While this one has an even(ish) golden tone:

1700_SH_CGS_400x800_zps49c92ae2.png

Intriguing isn't it, I would say that >95% of my silver coins exhibit no obvious signs of toning at all.

Does anyone have any examples of toned ancient coins? Not sure I have seen any (at least not with the sort of toning exhibited in this thread)!

Edited by Paulus

Some very beautiful coins in this thread.

Thanks for sharing !

Does anyone have any examples of toned ancient coins? Not sure I have seen any (at least not with the sort of toning exhibited in this thread)!

The nearest I have is this Arcadia siliqua (sorry about the tiny size, it's the best I can do without rescanning) :

post-4737-0-03916600-1382516882_thumb.jppost-4737-0-05809200-1382516903_thumb.jp

dissapointed with the lack of rainbow toned roman/byzantine coins :ph34r:

Hmmm, don't want to call anybody out, as they say, but a couple of the examples posted are suspicious for cleaning and then retoning, AT or not....

Toitoiseshell toning - Monneron de 5 sols 1792 struck by Matthew Boulton

DrM55dMonneron5Sols1792AnIV.jpg

Hmmm, don't want to call anybody out, as they say, but a couple of the examples posted are suspicious for cleaning and then retoning, AT or not....

Interesting comment, I deliberately put up an image of my 1858 farthing to try and see whether anyone would comment on the uneven tone displayed in the photo, the tone is definitely original and genuine, but the coin has prooflike qualities and has the smoothest fields I have seen on a circulation issue copper farthing. I believe it to be struck from polished dies, because the Obverse does show signs of severe polishing around the hair/bun (areas of field visible that are not usually present). The devices also exhibit frosting/matte finish.

The colours in the photograph do indicate cleaned and retoned to me and that is what I would have said if someone had put them up. After all it is important to see how far away from the norm can still be genuine....however if you weren't talking about my farthing sorry for the ramble :D

I know a couple of mine were cleaned a while back and have a feeling one or two might be AT, but I can't remember now whether any in the tray I posted might be the ones. Certainly the Briot hammered has been dipped (quite a bit I suspect) and isn't toning particularly nicely. But it would be difficult to replace, so ...

Hopefully not the copper or bronze! :o

So, this also raises a new point...what determines AT?

Is an old, deep grey, hammered coin, that has been cleaned from the ground, and then stored in an old collector's cabinet for 200 years, artificially toned?

Is a previously dipped coin, that's been sat on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard for the last year, artificially toned?

So, this also raises a new point...what determines AT?

Is an old, deep grey, hammered coin, that has been cleaned from the ground, and then stored in an old collector's cabinet for 200 years, artificially toned?

Is a previously dipped coin, that's been sat on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard for the last year, artificially toned?

I think it's all about intent. A silver coin stored in inert conditions will over many years go though grey and eventually to black. Add any type of polution into the mix and you get colours. So is storing a silver coin in an old brown envelope AT or NT.

While I do own some coins that have been cleaned, none of my coins have been cleaned by me. Neither have I ever resorted to AT. Indeed, in my naivety, I didn't know that such a thing existed until the recent thread.