British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

For all the debate about toning and not, you do come up with some things from time to time that are genuine despite the initial disbelief. 6 or 7 years ago I acquired a 1731 shilling that was sealed in the bottom of a broken Georgian drinking vessel and which was contemporary. The only toning was a blackening to the outside of the reverse legend characters, which presumably was down to the heat applied when it was sealed in. In the end I cracked it out because of the sharp edges and the fact that it didn't sit in the trays very confortably, but wonder what would people think when you have a (genuinely) full lustre coin that's 280 years old without the knowledge of it having been hermetically sealed? Would they assume it had been dipped or otherwise cleaned? About the same time Michael Gouby had a 1750 shilling in a similar state and sealed in a glass bottom. The truth is we only have a short snapshot into a coin's history.

Did you take photos (or a video clip) of the coin in the drinking vessel? Many people with be convinced by that. I assume you wouldn't store such a coin in a cabinet afterwards for fear of toning?

I don't mind toning, and at £137 for a shilling in that grade because it was described as a sixpence I was quite happy. :) The shoulder armour gave it away. ;)

No video or photo. Sorry.

Edited by Rob