British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Toning ... Again

A picture of Mrs Peters will do ;)

Is she well toned??

From what he tells us, the Misses Peter might be worth a look too, all togged up in their Friday night best. :lol:

Is she well toned??

From what he tells us, the Misses Peter might be worth a look too, all togged up in their Friday night best. :lol:

So that's artifically toned then?

Is she well toned??

So that's artifically toned then?

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah

So we have 3 subscribers to Readers Wives. :o

When I went to Australia I got recognised......because I'm pretty big down under. B)

Pictures of myself and my coins I will keep to myself :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been thinking again about this, partly as a result of comments about toning on another forum. One participant said of AT:

"Prove it... that's the rub. How do you prove it was intentional exposure instead of years of incidental exposure.

But since it is exactly the same chemically
[AT and NT] that's why a purist doesn't differentiate between pretty and damaged."

I guess if one had to compile a list of 'coin crimes' there are some that would get you on Santa's naughty list and others, not so much ...

1) Sanding down one side of a coin and engraving it .. well, Victorians did this and while it would be a 'no no' now, people do collect such things!

2) Drilling a hole through it. OK, I admit guilt here. I wanted a Mercury dime on a cord for luck. And I did do it to a gold touchpiece, though a Jonson Matthey replica, not a real 18th century Angel of course! And holed siege pieces, well, we just have to live with those.

3) Cleaning with sand, brillo pads, or whizzing.

4) Varnishing

5) Giving it a quick 'rub' to bring out the shine(!) or the spit and aluminium foil thing.

6) Colorization (again and spelling deliberate!)

7) Adding a bit of subtle colour to make it look less straight-off-the-production-line.

Anyone else ones to add? Or re-order according to views?

I've been thinking again about this, partly as a result of comments about toning on another forum. One participant said of AT:

"Prove it... that's the rub. How do you prove it was intentional exposure instead of years of incidental exposure.

But since it is exactly the same chemically [AT and NT] that's why a purist doesn't differentiate between pretty and damaged."

I guess if one had to compile a list of 'coin crimes' there are some that would get you on Santa's naughty list and others, not so much ...

1) Sanding down one side of a coin and engraving it .. well, Victorians did this and while it would be a 'no no' now, people do collect such things!

2) Drilling a hole through it. OK, I admit guilt here. I wanted a Mercury dime on a cord for luck. And I did do it to a gold touchpiece, though a Jonson Matthey replica, not a real 18th century Angel of course! And holed siege pieces, well, we just have to live with those.

3) Cleaning with sand, brillo pads, or whizzing.

4) Varnishing

5) Giving it a quick 'rub' to bring out the shine(!) or the spit and aluminium foil thing.

6) Colorization (again and spelling deliberate!)

7) Adding a bit of subtle colour to make it look less straight-off-the-production-line.

Anyone else ones to add? Or re-order according to views?

That would be a genuine forgery too ;)

A "gentleman" in Caledonian Market would clean his silver coins to a mirror like finish and then leave them in old gear box oil or similar sludge for a month or two to age them. Bearing in mind that the Cally was a dealer's market you'd have thought that he'd be caught out frequently but at five in the morning, most people weren't too aware.

Sometimes the smell was a bit of a give away though.

8) Tooling a coin.

9) Slabbing a coin.(especially hammered)

10) Ignoring the dreaded green.

11) Not cleaning grunge from a coin.When it can be done very carefully and effectively.

12) Coin jewellery.

13) Enameled coins.

14) Ebay sellers handling coins who should know better.

15) Finger prints and carbon spots on BU coins.

Early poorly defined hammered deserve a bit of saliva and silver paper.

A "gentleman" in Caledonian Market would clean his silver coins to a mirror like finish and then leave them in old gear box oil or similar sludge for a month or two to age them. Bearing in mind that the Cally was a dealer's market you'd have thought that he'd be caught out frequently but at five in the morning, most people weren't too aware.

Sometimes the smell was a bit of a give away though.

God yeah - there's few fouler oil smells than gearbox oil.