British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
rpeddie

Ordering From The Us Of A And Vat

fellow collectors

hoping i can gain from your experiences with this :):D

i am looking to buy a gold hammered coin pre 1500AD from the U.S and was wondering what sort of things i am needing to worry about with regards to the customs duties and VAT that are required to bring it home?

i was skimming over documents a while ago and read something about items over 100 years old being considered antiques and not have vat and duties applied? but not sure if i read this correctly or had a few too many and just made up the story?

just basically looking for advice on how to make this go as smoothly as i can and what to expect :)

thanks everyone in advance :D

fellow collectors

i am looking to buy a gold hammered coin pre 1500AD from the U.S and was wondering what sort of things i am needing to worry about with regards to the customs duties and VAT that are required to bring it home?

i was skimming over documents a while ago and read something about items over 100 years old being considered antiques and not have vat and duties applied? but not sure if i read this correctly or had a few too many and just made up the story?

just basically looking for advice on how to make this go as smoothly as i can and what to expect :)

Hi rpreddie,

Coins over 100 years old attract a charge of 5% and coins less than 100 years old attract a 20% charge, this charge is on top of the buyers premium so you pay it on the whole final cost of the coin

fellow collectors

Hi rpreddie,

Coins over 100 years old attract a charge of 5% and coins less than 100 years old attract a 20% charge, this charge is on top of the buyers premium so you pay it on the whole final cost of the coin

Any postage and insurance is also included. Ensure the declaration also included the commodity code otherwise they will most likely just add the 20% flat rate.

I paid 20% on a James 1 1/- earlier this year.

I believe revenue also have a time limit to claim back errors.

Most major dealers/auction houses will correctly code the customs declaration.

I wrote mine off to experience.(you lose £15 per £100)

I've had several packages coins from the US with no customs/declaration. :)

I've only really bought from Heritage in the US. They seem to get the documentation right, leaving me to pay the 5% on delivery.

thanks for your help greatly appreciate it :)

just looking through all the codes now cant seem to find an exact one im looking for, think the best thing is to give HMRC a call tomorrow

thanks again for your help :)

There was a thread on here somewhere discussing the correct codes, it might be possible to pull it up?

post-7823-0-91643500-1382277668_thumb.jp

i am correct to mention to the seller to use the code 9705 00 00?

attachicon.gifrepost.jpg

i am correct to mention to the seller to use the code 9705 00 00?

That's the one.