British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
declanwmagee

1863 Farthing With Dot Under The Lighhouse

What do we think about the dot under the lighthouse variety for the 1863 farthing, chaps? One has arrived on my doormat - should I be jumping for joy or raising an interested eyebrow?

What do we think about the dot under the lighthouse variety for the 1863 farthing, chaps? One has arrived on my doormat - should I be jumping for joy or raising an interested eyebrow?

Picky please

Declan, Post a pic of it. I have never seen one.

They are quite common and as yet not noticed by many dealers.(Even auction houses)

Not a fantastic variety by any stretch but unmistakeable.

I have been looking for a GEF+ for a while but I'm sure collectors without a clue are also after any 1863 being it a key date. :(

A nice little variety to search for at a fair buried beneath those shiney pennies. ;)

I will do a pic - it'll be in my regular Sunday morning photo session while listening to Desert Island Discs...

It's nothing to write home about, grade wise, VF or thereabouts and I suspect some old lacquer, bless 'em.

Thanks Peter - that's more or less my conclusion after 10 minutes looking through auction house results - definitely more interested eyebrow than jumping for joy!

Declan

If you sell it make sure it is properly described.(less lacquer) :)

Good one Peter, dot under lighthouse, fat 8 over thin 8, wide date. Cheers Colin, what would we do without you!

Good one Peter, dot under lighthouse, fat 8 over thin 8, wide date. Cheers Colin, what would we do without you!

As he dips back into varieties. ;);)

From the 1863 farthings that have passed through my hands about a third have been dot beneath lighthouse types.