British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

1858 Vic One Penny(Error T In Britanniar.)

Hi guys been looking at a 1858 vic one penny of mine and the T in BRITANNIAR is totaly split down the middle,any idea's.I will list a photo as soon as i can.Any ID on that 1853 vic one penny,thanks jim.

I'm not an expert Jim, but considering the dint that runs across the 'N' I'd be inclined to say that's also what has happened to the 'T'.

A bag mark, or Post Mint Damage (PMD) it's called in coiny circles I believe. Sorry.

Thanks tom for your advice but if tou take a closer look at the T there's no scrape on the metal,like the N.

'Bag marks' are not so much scrapes as dints/knocks caused by the rim/edge of one coin striking another. They can be caused on modern coins as they drop off the conveyor into collection bins, or with older ones as bags of coins are man-handled from one location to another.

I could be wrong of course, but die damage is normally due to cracking/splitting or clash marks. In such instances the damage to the die is concave leading to a mark on the coin in relief (ie sticking out). For a flaw to cause an indented mark on the coin there would have to be additional metal on the face of the die, or in this case because it lies across a letter, a blockage in the die. But this doesn't look like die blockage to me.

Just explaining how I came to my view, in case it helps!

Great advice tom thanks,if any other images are needed i'll try my best, my oppinion it could be blockage of the die.Can you see the second image i uploaded.Thanks jim.

For it to be a blockage, you'd be looking at an ultra-ultra-hardened 'ridge' of metal being perfectly aligned up the vertical of the die's T!

Edit: the vertical component of the T looks wider, and the curvature/angle beneath the left horizontal also looks reduced, suggesting post strike damage, rather than die deformity! You'll probably find a 'folded' edge along the left edge of the vertical, the shadow also suggests this?

Edited by Coinery

I have to agree with the others , it does look like damage to me as well

Thanks all i'm starting to agree totally with all comments,last photo and then we can put this to bed,thanks guys. a4b270c2-b148-42df-bd26-1b24f3335c7b_zps

Looks less dramatic when face-on (what happened to the other images?), die fill or post mint damage, nothing significant really! Keep looking, and keep posting! :)