British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

1863 Open 3 Revisited

There are at least three different reverse dies used in the production of the open three pennies. Each one is clearly recognisable as different.

that's an intriguing statement re a variety that has probably less than 20 examples documented! are they all freeman 6+G - (gouby J+g)?

Without delving into the precise mechanics of the issue, David, sympathies for not getting it. Quite a reasonable grade for such a rare item.

I put in a bid of $1.20 plus a snipe of $300 when it was newly listed at 99p with no mention of open 3 in the description. looked at it again at 15 minutes to go and it had a high bid at about $9.50 but noticed that the seller had added the open 3 description - then I watched as 4 bidders pushed it to $770 :(

Very hard these days to pick up rarities without others spotting them too, But then the the low grade example I do have was just £5 on Ebay - just have to keep looking :rolleyes:

Edited by davidrj

A few pictures of different open three pennies. If I recall, some 3's are not upright, some exergial lines are curved above 3, some are not. Some 3's are slightly different, noticeably the top left serif of the three.

post-5652-0-15892700-1381867426_thumb.jp

What do you think nearly fine?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Fair

This one got my heart racing for a minute but I don't think it is after much examination - any thoughts anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-UK-Victoria-1863-bronze-Penny-attractive-brown-XF-/190787369116?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2c6bd0389c

Declan, It might be one, but you cannot tell definately because of the crud under the middle part of the three. If you could wash the 3 on the coin, you could tell without question.

This washer went for £108

Yes, I watched all those drift by, David! I decided I couldn't live with the grade on any of them apart from the F17, which I got for £50 or so. Happy with that...

Who is that mystery seller? Penny Dealer.co.uk doesn't work any more...I'll find out when it arrives I suppose...

Yes, I watched all those drift by, David! I decided I couldn't live with the grade on any of them apart from the F17, which I got for £50 or so. Happy with that...

Who is that mystery seller? Penny Dealer.co.uk doesn't work any more...I'll find out when it arrives I suppose...

There was a fantastic 1863 Open 3 on eBay about 2 weeks ago, which went for £800+. I did leave a proxy bid but went out for the evening. When I looked later, I'd missed out by a fair margin! :(

The seller of the 1863 and other coins you mention is a well-known collector. Well done on the F-17 Declan. I did buy the F-28 as a reasonably priced gap filler. London Coins have sold a couple in the past few years at £500+

Nice shooting on the F28, ,Steve!

I figured that the seller would be well-known - they're not the kind of coins you find on the car-boot....

I won the open 3...

pictures were dark but it looked like it might be a different type open 3 than the example I have...

Seller is knowlegeable so I reasonably sure it's the variety listed..

If it's not , it will be going back...

if it's the type I have, I'll just resell it or trade it..

I won the open 3...

pictures were dark but it looked like it might be a different type open 3 than the example I have...

The one last night, or the one two weeks ago?

I won the open 3...

Interesting. Let us know if it is different type?

Did any of you spot the 1860 TB/BB mule that was listed on eBay for a few days, it went upto £350 odd and the seller ended the auction early.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-1860-penny-/151219580550?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WYI%252BBnYHSeo7A2fyYwvGtmtJlwo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Yes.... I would have tried to.upgrade mine..... Hope.he got a good price because I would have made a nice bid or even an offer had I known he would end the auction

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Oh I do like it when that happens. Would have made lotsauctions day. He clearly didn't know what he had. Feelgood story!

I saw it too and wrote to the seller when the auction ended early. Apparently the seller was only an agent for the owner and, once they realised what the coin was, have decided to de-list it and take 'expert' advice.

I won the open 3...

Interesting. Let us know if it is different type?

Turns out NOT to be an open 3 after all and will be returned.....

Guest 1863

Does anyone have a 1863 open 3 in high grade that they could share photos of please?

3 hours ago, Guest 1863 said:

Does anyone have a 1863 open 3 in high grade that they could share photos of please?

Although plenty of them they are scarce above VF.

There is a decent one GVF on the LCA website ,just click on realised prices for the picture.

They are the same as any 1863 but the last digit open as been discussed on this forum many times ,just type in the search box top right.

Have you found a BU one :)