British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
AardHawk

How Do I Edit One Of My Posts.

I made a slight mistake on a post I made and would like to correct it but there doesn't seem to be an edit button. Am I missing something?

Supplementary question; How do I do a forum search? I cant find a search button anywhere.

I see a search box to the far left of the 1_wwwskin.jpg

I don't remember the edit button being available when I first posted but it appears for me now so I don't know.

Edited by Mr T

Thanks. I found the search hidden under a crap message about allowing cookies/spyware being loaded onto my computer.

Thanks. I found the search hidden under a crap message about allowing cookies/spyware to be loaded onto my computer.

Okay, I found the edit button. It seems to be one of those that disappears after a few minutes. Not very helpful really.

I quite agree, edit in this new system is annoying. I'm sure when we had the old format forum, editing was simpler!

While I found the edit button easily enough ..,

post-129-0-96242800-1380447028_thumb.jpg

(there it is!) ^ the fact that I have to then choose that strange toggle switch (arrowed) or click on 'Use full editor' before any of what I type appears in the bloody box bemuses me. And if I want to then cut and paste part of what I've written, or if I want to highlight text in bold or italics, I have to click it again!!

As for nesting urls within a picture link from the internet (which I used to be able to do quite quickly, so long as I could see the code) well, I have to rethink that each time.

Why it's clunkier .. I have no idea. And as for the fact that if you try to edit too quickly it 'activates flood control' and if you leave it too long the edit function disappears ... yeah, that's irritating too!

Edited by TomGoodheart

I quite agree, edit in this new system is annoying. I'm sure when we had the old format forum, editing was simpler!

While I found the edit button easily enough ..,

attachicon.gifEdit.jpg

(there it is!) ^ the fact that I have to then choose that strange toggle switch (arrowed) or click on 'Use full editor' before any of what I type appears in the bloody box bemuses me. And if I want to then cut and paste part of what I've written, or if I want to highlight text in bold or italics, I have to click it again!!

As for nesting urls within a picture link from the internet (which I used to be able to do quite quickly, so long as I could see the code) well, I have to rethink that each time.

Why it's clunkier .. I have no idea. And as for the fact that if you try to edit too quickly it 'activates flood control' and if you leave it too long the edit function disappears ... yeah, that's irritating too!

I'm not sure you're both talking about the same thing? I get the impression that Aardhawk is talking about making an Edit AFTER the post has been made. In the old system we only had something like 15 or 20 minutes to do that before the Edit button (bottom right of the post) disappeared. Now I think we get a bit more time, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

As for pictures, I'm getting quite depressed trying to convince everyone that they can be posted directly to this forum, provided they are reduced in file size - see the Sticky in the Beginners forum.

I think the edit function stays active for about a minute. On my first attempt to edit the above post, it timed out on me while I was in the edit screen, then when I did it again it reposted the whole message. Its a bit of a crock really.

Peckris, though I always use the forums own photo hosting facility, It really bugs me that I have to log on to see the posted photos. I just wish that forum administrators understood the fact that lots of people cant log in to forums and sites when they are at work using their employers systems.

TomGoodheart

I agree about the abysmal quote implementation. Some topics are 95% re-quotes and means original intent of the topic is lost, especially when the facility is used indiscriminately.

I'm not sure you're both talking about the same thing? I get the impression that Aardhawk is talking about making an Edit AFTER the post has been made. In the old system we only had something like 15 or 20 minutes to do that before the Edit button (bottom right of the post) disappeared. Now I think we get a bit more time, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I have just checked my post above and an hour later I still have the facility to edit it. But what I have found is that sometimes the reply box refuses to take any text until I click on the 'toggle' switch icon I highlighted with an arrow. I wonder if AardHawk is talking about that (since, unless you know 'the trick' it would then appear that you can't reply at all)

As for pictures, I'm getting quite depressed trying to convince everyone that they can be posted directly to this forum, provided they are reduced in file size - see the Sticky in the Beginners forum.

I've not had any problems with jpegs below 100KB. In fact, because photobucket has been so crap lately I've stopped linking to my photos there in preference to just resizing them and directly inserting. The only tricky step is remembering to click on the 'insert into post' button so they appear where I want.

And to avoid being entirely negative about the new software (which Chris had little choice other than to change) I do like the Auto Save function as it's saved me having to retype one of my monologues on a few occasions now when my laptop has messed up!

Peckris, though I always use the forums own photo hosting facility, It really bugs me that I have to log on to see the posted photos. I just wish that forum administrators understood the fact that lots of people cant log in to forums and sites when they are at work using their employers systems.

I don't understand that? You'd have to login to the forum to see ANY pictures here, whether they're hosted in the abysmal Photobucket or directly here.

Hmmm, well to me editing under the new system seems no different to editing under the old system.

The edit button is obvious enough.

Hmmm, well to me editing under the new system seems no different to editing under the old system.

It is while it is there. I my case it seems to disapear after about ONE minute. On many forums the edit function is active indefinitely.

There you go, four minutes and its gone!

I remember I also had great problems with editing when I was new to the Forum, but now it is easy. So perhaps the edit period is variable based upon the number of posts?

I'll see if I can time how long edit is available for me with this reply.

Edit: Still available after 1 hour 38 minutes.

Edited by Nick

It is while it is there. I my case it seems to disapear after about ONE minute. On many forums the edit function is active indefinitely.

Actually, it's dependent on the forum software. There are several systems I've come across :

1. no editing allowed at all
  2. editing allowed for a brief period to correct mistakes (as here)
  3. editing allowed any time up until someone else posts beneath yours
  4. you can edit topics you start, but not your posts in topics started by others
  5. editing allowed anytime

Of course, the snag with editing - e.g. deleting - your posts, is that someone can quote your post which means your pre-edited post is still visible, even if you later delete it.

I suppose it means I cant rewrite history, even if its wrong.

Its only this implementation of IP Board software that has this funny set up. On other forums of which I'm a member, that use the software, there is no problem editing a quote nor with editing earlier posts.

Any way I dont want Chris to think that I'm getting at him! I'm very grateful for this forum.