British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Decimal Introduction

Looking through Spink at the decimal section obviously the decimal changeover was in 1971 although the mint had introduced the 10 and 5p in 1968 into circulation

Spink states that the copper was'nt introduced until 1971, so i'm assuming they were minted at the same time in 1968, but was the copper minted with the years 1968-69 and 70 up to the run up of 1971 and the changeover?

The reason i ask is that i have a red cased specimen set with the coins all dated 1968

DSCF8292.jpg

DSCF8293.jpg

Edited by azda

I read somewhere that the bronzes were predated. I'm sure the blue wallets were issued in 1968 for people to familiarise themselves with the new coinage. I have not seen or heard of any coppers dated 1968 69 or 1970, have you got an obverse picture of them?.

The red case was just a fancier case rather than the standard blue wallets. You also got a red case for the 1st and last coinages made by the same company (see the small logo on bottom left)

post-5660-0-27523100-1380192982_thumb.jp

post-5660-0-20934900-1380193099_thumb.jp

Well i'll have to ask my buddy as he has this set at home and i asked him about the Dates and he said all were 1968, so will ask him again to make certain and Tell him to send me a picture of the copper OBVs

I'm sure this is wrong.

The blue wallets were issued in 1968 for familiarisation purposes, when the 1968 10p and 5p were issued for circulation. The bronzes were struck between 1968 and 1971 in massive quantities, but were all dated 1971, including those in the blue wallets, to indicate they weren't yet legal tender.

I note in your picture that the CuNi are obverse up, while the bronzes are reverse up - if they were really dated 1968 don't you think that would be displayed due to their incredible rarity?

If I was a betting man I'd put my house on there being no genuine decimal bronzes with the date 1968.

They are an auction lot i bought with a friend of mine Peck, he took the pic then went to work, i asked him the dates on the copper and he said they were all 68, problem is, he does'nt get home from work until tomorrow and i've asked him to tell me what the copper is exactly.

that would mean having dies for 1968, why have dies for that date when they were not going to use them until 1971, especially when they were still making the older ones in 68

I'm sure this is wrong.

The blue wallets were issued in 1968 for familiarisation purposes, when the 1968 10p and 5p were issued for circulation. The bronzes were struck between 1968 and 1971 in massive quantities, but were all dated 1971, including those in the blue wallets, to indicate they weren't yet legal tender.

I note in your picture that the CuNi are obverse up, while the bronzes are reverse up - if they were really dated 1968 don't you think that would be displayed due to their incredible rarity?

If I was a betting man I'd put my house on there being no genuine decimal bronzes with the date 1968.

Same here. I've never once heard of or seen any decimal bronze dated prior to 1971. After this length of time, I'm pretty sure we would have done if they'd existed.

that would mean having dies for 1968, why have dies for that date when they were not going to use them until 1971, especially when they were still making the older ones in 68

Same here. I've never once heard of or seen any decimal bronze dated prior to 1971. After this length of time, I'm pretty sure we would have done if they'd existed.

Exactly. Even VIP issues would have been known about by now. And if they were going to issue VIP proofs, they too would be dated 1971.

I think your mate has told you a porkie, Dave.

Well i agree with everything that's been said and he was adamnat they were 68 and he has them in hand so i could'nt doubt what he was saying. Obviously what he's done is read the 10 and 5p dates and then assumed the copper was the same date not realising the relevance of his mistake.

Still, i'll get a picture when he gets back from work tonight just to make sure ;)

It probably doesn't help that the box lid says "FIRST ISSUE OF SPECIMEN DECIMAL COINS 1968" and lists all 5 denominations. Your mate has taken that at face value, possibly not realising the particular history surrounding the 1968 specimen sets, and jumping to the conclusion you've pointed out, i.e. assuming that since 1968 is the only date mentioned it must therefore apply to all the coins.