British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Portcullis Varieties On Decimal Penny

A quick additional update. I've now also found a 2004 penny with no portcullis studs, even though the normal type is type 2 i.e. with incuse edges to the studs. Also, on the 2000 specimens, I've found three types. All are type 2, but there are three minor types:

1. The '1' points to left of a bead and there is a wide gap between the letters and the rim.

2. The '1' points to left of a bead and there is a narrower gap between the letters and the rim.

3. The '1' points to the right of a bead.

Well done Dave. Your findings mirror mine, though I am also looking for further varieties, which I will publish in a week or two.

One point worthy of note, is that there are in fact three portcullis "types" which I will refer to as;

1. Type 0 1971-81. Relief rivets and gap between portcullis and rod. (See the photo above labeled Type 1).

2. Type 1 1982-91, 93-94, 07-08. Relief rivets and no gap between portcullis and rod.

2. Type 2 1991-2008. Incuse rivets and no gap between portcullis and rod. (See the photo above labeled Type 2).

All the above refer to circulation coins. |The BU set and Proof coins differ.

Why am I getting the urge to tip out a big pot of 1p coins and start hunting!! :o:D

I must confess I bag up all 5's,2's & 1,s and just keep anything that looks AUNC.

Likewise I'm tempted to start a survey myself....sad isn't it. :ph34r:

Without wishing to pollute this thread with irrelevant chit chat;

No its not Peter. Welcome back to the world of hobby coin collectors.

Without wishing to pollute this thread with irrelevant chit chat;

No its not Peter. Welcome back to the world of hobby coin collectors.

We don't ALL have Aspergers Syndrome :D

Don't we?

:lol:

A quick additional update. I've now also found a 2004 penny with no portcullis studs, even though the normal type is type 2 i.e. with incuse edges to the studs. Also, on the 2000 specimens, I've found three types. All are type 2, but there are three minor types:

1. The '1' points to left of a bead and there is a wide gap between the letters and the rim.

2. The '1' points to left of a bead and there is a narrower gap between the letters and the rim.

3. The '1' points to the right of a bead.

Hi. I'm new to posting but a regular reader. Any chance of an illustration of the 2000 1p please? I'm having problems seeing what constitutes a wide gap and a narrow gap. Am I right in thinking that your type 1 (and 2) has the first stroke of the N of ONE pointing to a GAP whereas type 3 has it pointing to the right hand side of a BEAD?

Goes off whistling, and puts on a Catherine Tate video...

Hi. Thanks so much for the postings of the 1p. I'm very grateful. The pointings don't cause any problems now.

Anyone any tips regarding the wide gaps and narrow gaps? Any illustrations of those available on the net, does anyone know please?

Its all to do with the gap between the border bead and the lettering or border. I illustrated the gap between the bead and the border. Those that have a wider gap between bead and border have a narrower gap between bead and lettering, and vise verse.

You will also not that the beads are also of a different size.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm grateful for the assistance. It's just about clear to my aged eyes regarding the bead to the border, when I have the two pictures side by side, less so bead to letter. Far more of a challenge with a coin in the hand. Perhaps I should try to take a good photo to check.

On rev 2 you quote 108 beads. As the beads seemed a little smaller, I thought there might be more than 108. I make it 113. Does this mean there is a 108 bead border, a 109 and a 113 ?

Good spot, I've tweeked the jpg!

post-936-0-19144900-1406526697_thumb.jpg

With regard to studying coins, I tend to use a magnifying lamp, a hand held illuminated magnifyer or a scanner to compare details.

post-936-0-88916100-1406526896_thumb.jpg

A question for the forum experts. Why dont these pictures come out at full size rather than thumbs? I dont have problems on other forums that use the same software.

Edited by AardHawk

A question for the forum experts. Why dont these pictures come out at full size rather than thumbs? I dont have problems on other forums that use the same software.

Yeah, me too. I belong to a photography forum where the "thumbnails" are somewhere between half and two-thirds the size of the actual picture. Here they're just dots on the horizon, completely useless. Chris, can we have much larger thumbnails please? Most people's broadband can easily cope with it.

Hi. Thanks for the tips. So 113 and 109.

I use a mac so I don't know whether it makes a difference viewing the pics. I double-click on the thumnail pic and comes up in glorious gigantiscope, filling the screen. If I drag it off here and onto the main screen,

continued... That went before it should have...

I double-click on the thumbnail pic and it comes up in glorious gigantiscope, filling the screen. If I drag it off here and onto the main screen, I can compare two reference pics side by side in enormous detail.

I must master the art of posting pics here, because yesterday I came across a 1973 1/2 p which I'd like to share with the experts and which has on the reverse top left quadrant what seems to be part of the bottom left quadrant of a 1p with the dangling chains. Either this is a Mint error or someone VERY skilled at metalwork has been playing at silly b******s. But that is for a new post when I can suss out how to do that.

continued... That went before it should have...

I double-click on the thumbnail pic and it comes up in glorious gigantiscope, filling the screen. If I drag it off here and onto the main screen, I can compare two reference pics side by side in enormous detail.

I must master the art of posting pics here, because yesterday I came across a 1973 1/2 p which I'd like to share with the experts and which has on the reverse top left quadrant what seems to be part of the bottom left quadrant of a 1p with the dangling chains. Either this is a Mint error or someone VERY skilled at metalwork has been playing at silly b******s. But that is for a new post when I can suss out how to do that.

I use a Mac too. I posted a tutorial in how to upload pictures here using Picasa (when I posted it, the limit was a dismal 150k per post, but now it's 500k which is no hassle to reduce a jpeg to, if you follow the tut.)

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/7880-posting-pics/

But it would still be good to have decent-sized thumbnails so you don't necessarily have to click on them unless you need to see full details.

I know this is a relatively old topic...

BUT does anyone know somewhere I can read/visualise the different dies in circulating UK coins ??

I've got the whole Check Your Change series (Including some of the early ones :P)

Also... Thanks to this thread I found a 1992 penny with Type 1 in circulation (split set?)

I found this today, in my own forum, from a google search!

I'd also be interested in pictures of the decimal varieties of 1p if anyone can provide some that I can use on the web and possibly in books.

• Like 1

Just joined this forum. Lots of lovely info! Just wondering, apart from all the different alignments and beading, how many have noticed the differences in the lion's face and mane on large and small 10p's, and in the design of the thistle on the large 5p's? I started a while ago to make a log of these differences but don't have enough proofs or BU's to make it comprehensive. This could be a new topic... Where's my anorak?

Just joined this forum. Lots of lovely info! Just wondering, apart from all the different alignments and beading, how many have noticed the differences in the lion's face and mane on large and small 10p's, and in the design of the thistle on the large 5p's? I started a while ago to make a log of these differences but don't have enough proofs or BU's to make it comprehensive. This could be a new topic... Where's my anorak?

Welcome to the forum.

I've got plenty of singles across the two denominations if you need any, proofs and BUs.

Your anorak could have been nicked by any one of a number of very dubious forum members, :ph34r:

• Like 1

Declan was handing them out for 20thC varieties the last I checked, and Rob for everything else across the board!

I've got one from both of them! :D

Anoraks that is!