British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Enameled Coins

I wondered if anyone had an explanation or theory as to why this coin may have sold for such a high price (on the face of it?).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enamel-1804-George-III-Dollar-Five-Shilling-Coin-or-Crown-Bank-of-England-/190894025711?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=MA2hHJicuYE7HrSG8XId4l4UliM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I acquired an extremely attractive and high quality enameled 1821 Crown as an example for my collection a few months ago for around £32, and watching them before and since they seem to all go for £20-£40, but this one has fetched over 10x the going rate, any ideas anyone?

I wondered if anyone had an explanation or theory as to why this coin may have sold for such a high price (on the face of it?).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enamel-1804-George-III-Dollar-Five-Shilling-Coin-or-Crown-Bank-of-England-/190894025711?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=MA2hHJicuYE7HrSG8XId4l4UliM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I acquired an extremely attractive and high quality enameled 1821 Crown as an example for my collection a few months ago for around £32, and watching them before and since they seem to all go for £20-£40, but this one has fetched over 10x the going rate, any ideas anyone?

It's a beautifully enamelled reverse, but the obverse is totally ruined by brooching. Some people have more money than sense.

The buyer seems to have spent at least a hundred or even three hundred on every enamelled piece he's bought. :huh:

There's got to be more than one person willing to pay a premium, as they wouldn't reach this price otherwise. As for why, I'm not sure.

This one sold for £320.

Bizarre, that one's not particularly attractive or well done IMO!

Bizarre, that one's not particularly attractive or well done IMO!

And there's no image of the reverse. My guess would be someone who buys them purely for their artistic merit.

Edited by HistoricCoinage

The one's I have seen the observes are never enameled, nearly always a brooch and therefore completely wrecked (as a pure coin) ... I was just taken by the huge disparity in prices paid between the ones I have witnessed, the one in my OP and the example you have posted Historic ...

The one's I have seen the observes are never enameled, nearly always a brooch and therefore completely wrecked (as a pure coin) ... I was just taken by the huge disparity in prices paid between the ones I have witnessed, the one in my OP and the example you have posted Historic ...

It'll be interesting to watch the prices on eBay over the next few months, and how much new stock appears, as I have a little theory? ;)