British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dannymik

austrian gold sovereign (1914)

Guest dannymik

hello people i have a pure gold austrian sovereign dated 1914. am curious as to the history and also of the value and rarety of this coin.any info whatsoever would be most appreciated.

cheers

danny

Guest Guest_From_Austria

Are You sure that the coin is dated 1914, because if its dated 1915 it would be a modern

restrike and its value would be the value of the gold. Otherwise its original from 1914.

It could be one these 4 coins, all off them are from the mint in Vienna:

A. 1 Dukaten (Ducat) or 4 Dukaten:

on the front side of the coin:

FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.AUSTRIAE IMPERATOR

on the back side of the coin:

HUNGAR.BOHEM.GAL.LOD.ILL.REX.A.A.1914 (1 Dukaten)

HUNGAR.BOHEM.GAL (4) LOD.ILL.REX.A.A.1914 (4 Dukaten)

1 Dukaten 1914: 986/1000 fine; value 58 - 87 Euro (in austrian catalogue)

4 Dukaten 1914: 986/1000 fine; value 220 - 440 Euro (in austrian catalogue)

B. 20 Kronen (Corona;Crown) or 100 Kronen:

on the front side of the coin:

FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.IMP.AUSTR.REX BOH.GAL.ILL.ETC.ET AP.REX HUNG

on the back side of the coin:

XX CORONAE MDCCCCXIV 20 COR. 1914 (20 Kronen)

C CORONAE MDCCCCXIV 100 COR. 1914 (100 Kronen)

20 Kronen 1914: 900/1000 fine; value 510 - 950 Euro (in austrian catalogue)

100 Kronen 1914: 900/1000 fine; value 730 - 1450 Euro (in austrian catalogue)

If Your coin does not match to one of these 4 coins, then Your coin is not from Austria.

About the rarety:

The Ducats are not rare coins their value is just little above the value of the gold. The Kronen

Coins from 1914 are rare coins and so their value is much higher.

About the History:

The Ducat is originally a coin from Venice where it was struck since the 13th century. In Austria the Ducats were struck from the 16th century till 1914 (and Austria today still strikes modern restrikes with the date 1915). The Ducats where the gold coins of the Gulden currency. The Gulden currency was based on silver and was in use since the 16th century. The main coin of the Gulden currency was the famous silver Taler. The small coins of

Gulden currency were the Kreuzer and the Pfennig.

The Kronen was the new currency in Austria in the year 1892. The Kronen currency was based on gold and replaced the Gulden currency, but the coins of the Gulden currency

where still in use until 1900. The small coins of the Kronen currency were the Heller.

After the first world war there was a Hyperinflation in Austria and

so no coins where struck between 1919 and 1923. Only paper money was in use at that

time. Thats why the Kronen currency was replaced by the Schilling currency in the Year 1924.

10000 Kronen (paper) were only worth 1 Schilling. The Kronen Gold coins of the Austrian Hungarian Monchary where struck from 1892 until 1914 (and modern restrikes with date 1912 [10 Kronen] and 1915 [20 Kronen and 100 Kronen]).

In the year 1918 2000 20 Kronen coins with the picture of the last Austrian Emperor Karl I.

where produced. 1999 of them where melt so only 1 of these coins is still existing. This

coin is the rarest coin of Austria and in the possesion of Coin Kabinett in Vienna.

In the first Republic of Austria the last Kronen Gold coins where struck 1923 and 1924.

Franz Joseph I. was born 1830. He was the Emperor of Austria form 1848 until 1916 the

year he died. He was married with Elisabeth von Bayern (Sissi).

Greetings Martin

Guest diana chester

Could you please tell me what is the following gold coin more like medal

FRANCISCUS IOSEPHUS I.D.G. AUSTRIAE IMPERATOR

the other side is bearing VIRIBVS

VNITIS

I only have a photo in front of me and I cannot see very well the year but I can get this

then I have 10 korona 1907 gold bearing FERENC JOZSEF CS ..... MAGYAR KIRALYSAG

and 100 schilling 1929 ostereich

Have you got any ideas about the WW1 medals and commemorative plaques 1848-1898?

thanks

Diana,

We never heard from our Austrian guest again unfortunately.

I don't know about your first coin.

But I can tell you that the 10 korona 1907 is Hungarian (Austro-Hungarian) and worth about £30.00 unless it's in perfect condition.

Is the Österreich 100 Schilling a gold coin, and in mint condition?

I know nicht (nothing) about medals and commemorative plaques from Austria.

Guest diana chester

The Schilling is gold actually two of them and I would say mint but I am not an expert.

1o Korona is also in a very good condition.

It is a shame that you do not know about the first one. I do not have it in front of me. It is back home together with two more gold coins ( my father collected coins, he has actually had quite a nice collection, silver coins mainly Czechoslovakia and later Slovakia, then mix and match and also some old ones and lots of them in mint in specially sealed little "boxes".He passed away recently and now it is up to me as the oldest of his children to divide his worldly goods " fortunes" collection of coins, stamps, paper banknotes, war medals from family ancestors and his own.This is how I came to your site. :P

The 1929 100 Schilling Gold, catalogues at about £300.00 if it's perfect.

Good luck.

Guest dchester

thank you so far. Could i get in touch again once I have the rest of the details about the VIRIBVS VNITIS and two more.

diana

Yes if you like, and as you're a member now, you can post pictures.

Guest dchester

I am trying but I have some technical problem.

I took pictures once I was there and emailed them to me but I cannot open the file as my clever computer does not recognise the file and removed the access so I can only view it. I guess i could forward you the e mail. I only took four coins two remaining coins I have in this country but not at home as we were burglared but I can get the photos no problem. Thanks

d

Have you got any ideas about the WW1 medals and commemorative plaques 1848-1898?

The 1848-1898 medal will be to mark the golden jubilee of the Emperor Franz Josef (reigned 1848-1916). Diamond jubilee ones were also produced in 1908.

Geoff

Guest dchester

Thank you , Geoff.

I have also Karl Troop cross and Silver bravery medal.

Geoff, do you know anything about the WW2 Czechoslovakia and Russia medals and SA daggers made by Eickhorn?

diana

I'm afraid not. My interest in medals doesn't stretch to military ones and my knowledge of non-British ones is minimal.

Sorry not to be of more assistance - Geoff

Guest nikson h

hello!

I have 2 coins and I can't find same coins on the internet.

the first one is:

ON the front side is written - FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.AVSTRIAE IMPERATOR

On the back side is written- GALL.LOD.ILL.REX A.A.1862 HVNG.BOH.LOMB.ET VEN.

TWO EAGLE HEADS, golden, 20mm

the second coin is:

ON the front side is written - FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.AVSTRIAE IMPERATOR

On the back side is written- LOD.ILL.REX A.A.1907 HVNGAR.BOHEM.GAL (4)

TWO EAGLE HEADS, golden, 40mm

Can you tell me are they austrian and rare and anything you know about them?

Guest Nenad_Biresev
thank you so far. Could i get in touch again once I have the rest of the details about the VIRIBVS VNITIS and two more.

diana

I found FRANC IOS I D G AUSTRIAE IMPERATOR from the year 1855, pure gold coin excellent condition. Do you maybe know what is the value of the coin.

Thanks,

Nenad Biresev