British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

The Price Is Right.

Ok, i suppose a few of us rememberthe game Show with Leslie Crowther. So lets see if you can guess how much this would cost you, here is the listing text:

Halfgroat or 2 Pence group C minted to 1630-1631 to the Tower of London, very beautiful quality coin which most of the time in states of lower conservation, rare little coin

Go

post-5057-0-03936200-1379151008_thumb.jp

I'm afraid I have a Catherine Tate level of interest in hammered, so I'll pass on this one. -_-

I'm afraid I have a Catherine Tate level of interest in hammered, so I'll pass on this one. -_-

Its a game Peck, i doubt even the experts will get the price, so have a wee stab, answer to follow tomorrow

Without looking in books to ID it, I'd guess, unless it's mega rare, that it would go for 25% over Spink's book price!

I'm basing this on my experience of watching E1 halfgroats going through with quality busts, which they seldom have!

As an example, I saw a E1 HG with bust 6D on it, last week, which is up there as one of most elegant busts on an Elizabeth coin I reckon, and it had a staggering quality bust on it. It books at £85 in VF, and has some clipping...I won it at £121 in a snipe, but had two other last-minute snipers who were prepared to pay over £110.

So, my guess, 25% over book!

Its a game Peck, i doubt even the experts will get the price, so have a wee stab, answer to follow tomorrow

No thanks - what would be the point? As much point as someone who's never played cricket going in holding a ping pong bat, unpadded, taking a position facing the wicket keeper and asking, "Now what?" :D

I have to say, I've no idea. It's not a denomination for which I've seen many examples. Nice condition. Plus the mint marks make it interesting.

My old Spink suggests £90 in vf, so on the right day it could reach £120. Higher if there it has an interesting provenance. But on a bad day .. as low as £70?

Rather a large range and a lot of guesswork I'm afraid!!

Ok, a clue, the price is in euros and 3 figures

Personally it does nothing for me.

The strike is nice and errrrr.

It has the appearance that only the moneyer would like.

9.99 Euros. :ph34r:

About as useful as chocolate for welding sticks! :)

LOL Unfortunately my ususally very efficient searches have turned up nothing, so I'll say €125 and you'll have to put me out of my misery Dave and tell me if I'm close!

EEEEK! Nowhere close! Do you think there's a decimal place error there? :blink:

Edited by TomGoodheart

Ok i'll just Tell you all as the game seemed to have stuttered. A Dealer wants...........

€730, yes thats seven hundred and thirty euros. I did email and said there was an error in his listing as there was an extra zero in there

Ok i'll just Tell you all as the game seemed to have stuttered. A Dealer wants...........

€730, yes thats seven hundred and thirty euros. I did email and said there was an error in his listing as there was an extra zero in there

He must have decided there was an error. It's €804 on delcampe.net Dave!!

There's hopeful and .... insane. And I think we both know which side of the line this one falls on!

If it sells it will be to an American ...

He must have decided there was an error. It's €804 on delcampe.net Dave!!

There's hopeful and .... insane. And I think we both know which side of the line this one falls on!

Geez thats unbelievable :ph34r: Obviously it was'nt an error then lol

What's its spink price?

Don't have the current edition, but in my old 2006 for S2824 was £90 in VF, so even if it has doubled ....

£100 in 2013, so £500 more than spink would suggest. Good work if you can get it. Strange that its only moved a tenner in 7 years though

Edited by azda

£100 in 2013, so £500 more than spink would suggest. Good work if you can get it. Strange that its only moved a tenner in 7 years though

Not popular. There is too much large and interesting Chas 1 material for the small things to get much attention.

Not popular. There is too much large and interesting Chas 1 material for the small things to get much attention.

I suspect this is a good example of how rarity is not always linked to price. I occasionally wonder about picking up a denomination set, from penny upwards, just for fun. But I've noticed that finding the lower value coins in really decent condition, centrally struck on a proper round flan is ... well, I don't know it's impossible, but it bloody well wouldn't be easy!

A well struck coin should go for a premium over Spink, but smaller coins don't often seem to reach prices that reflects how much time and effort you'll need to expend to find them. Whereas even a battered Newark coin is normally priced well over it's regular issue equivalent. The popularity of siege issues creates the opposite effect in that they really aren't as rare (OK, apart from a few odd denominations) as you might imagine from the price.

And on that note, what I personally still find a bit odd is that pierced Newarks go for much less. Which suggests to me that collectors are swayed by the story behind them (and so prepared to pay high) but still mark them down for holes as if they were regular coins. I actually like the idea of owning a pierced one. That to me adds to the history of the thing. But then I have a fondness for amulets, medallions and the like, so I guess I'm odd!

Anyway, that's a purchase for another day. When the Tower shilling collection is complete. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought this was a reasonable example of a small denomination C1, which went to the US as usual!

IMG_2721aresize_zps82a8f0c7.jpg

What's interesting, is that the US collectors seem to hold the smaller denominations in the same regard as the bigger stuff. With the smaller E1 pieces, pretty much all the good stuff goes over the atlantic.

I personally like the smaller coins but, as has already been said, it's not popular here. I'd say the halfgroats are the halfpennies (modern milled) of hammered. The E1 halfpennies and threefarthings are VERY popular, and command good money but, after that, it all goes flat until you hit the groats!

Edited by Coinery

I like them all. :)

My remit is to get hammered examples.(especially farthings).

Size doesn't always matter.

I personally like the smaller coins but, as has already been said, it's not popular here. I'd say the halfgroats are the halfpennies (modern milled) of hammered. The E1 halfpennies and threefarthings are VERY popular, and command good money but, after that, it all goes flat until you hit the groats!

Well, I always say, it's a good thing we don't all like the same thing! Personally I (obviously) like shillings and while I keep thinking of buying a few hammered pennies, by the time they drop to much below the size of a current penny I somehow find them less attractive. Maundy pennies while often nice in detail are a bit ... tiddly! I guess if ever I do decide to branch out from the current theme I shall have to decide how I feel about that as a run of silver pennies quite appeals .. but then the same could be said for a few sixpences. Oh well, nice to keep my options open!