British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hoody

1862 Half Penny Dl A - Any Ideas?

Hi guys,

I found this half penny when I was a kid and discovered it recently in an old ceramic coin bank.

I've done a bit of research, but can't find anything that gives a conclusive valuation of it in it's present condition.

From what I can see the die letter A next to the lighthouse (see pics) points to it being fairly rare.

If anyone could give me a good idea of it's value, or just point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

1862HalfPenny.jpg

Spink lists this at £600 in Fine, but I'm not sure what value I would guess at in that condition with verd ... hopefully others might have better idea than me!

I'm going to take a shot in the (almost) dark and say £60-£100.

A British 1862 bronze Halfpenny (Victoria)(die letter A to left of lighthouse), uncirculated and in absolute mint condition could fetch up to £2,750 GBP. If it has been circulated but still in good condition, it might fetch anything from £450 to £1,500 GBP. A British 1862 bronze Halfpenny (Victoria)(die letter B to left of lighthouse), circulated but still in good condition, might fetch anything from £650 to £1,400 GBP. A British 1862 bronze Halfpenny (Victoria)(die letter C to left of lighthouse), circulated but still in good condition, might fetch anything from £700 .I hope that helped.

This is a difficult one, becasue although the grade of the coin is quite good (around VF??) the extensive corrosion and verdigris takes the value down considerably. Add to this the fact that for some reason, halfpennies are less popular than pennies and it becomes quite difficult to value. Then factor in the ebay effect and who knows. I'd go slightly better than Paulus at around £150ish on a good day.

I'm not sure that's verdigris - it could be quite stable. Would definitely need inspecting in the hand before any valuation could be given and might actually benefit from some conserving, but it's a rare thing nonetheless.

For wear only (disregarding the green) it's certainly EF. But that green is a problem. It could be stable as Derek says, arising from having been buried at some time. It doesn't look like active verdigris but you'd need expert opinion from someone seeing it 'in hand'. A photo isn't clear enough for that. If you have a coin dealer anywhere near you, it would be worth taking along, especially as the value could stretch to 3 figures.

I'd certainly give that 'verd' a seeing to if it was mine! I'd take a gamble on the green and pay £125 any day of the week on eBay! Nice rare find, Hoody!

Needs a soak in acetone (or verdigris....an American product)

It's not pitted. :)

Thanks for the info guys. The green pigment hasn't changed in the time I've had it, which must be 10yrs or more, so I would be confident to agree with Red Riley and say it is stable. Not sure what I'll be doing with it yet, but I may hang onto it if the market for them isn't particularly strong for the half penny's at the moment.

Thanks for the info guys. The green pigment hasn't changed in the time I've had it, which must be 10yrs or more, so I would be confident to agree with Red Riley and say it is stable. Not sure what I'll be doing with it yet, but I may hang onto it if the market for them isn't particularly strong for the half penny's at the moment.

Hang on to it by all means - it's a major rarity - but don't wait for the post-1807 halfpenny market to revive, it's always been a 'poor relation'. The equivalent bun pennies with die letter are worth in 4 figures.

Edited by Peckris

Halfpennies with Die letters will always have a market as they are few and far between

Halfpennies with Die letters will always have a market as they are few and far between

I agree - but my point was that the penny equivalent is worth far more, as halfpennies just aren't fashionable. Sure it will sell, at a good price for a halfpenny, but...

I agree - but my point was that the penny equivalent is worth far more, as halfpennies just aren't fashionable. Sure it will sell, at a good price for a halfpenny, but...

I concur.