British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

declanwmagee

My Day At The Midland

Well, I had a fantastic day, and I don't care who knows it.

Here's what I came home with - feast your eyes...

1893 1+A halfcrown

1893Halfcrown1A.jpg

1853 sixpence. Very prooflike - I know there was an 1853 proof set -what do you think the chances are that it is one? The only coin I paid slightly over my £200 per coin limit.

1853Sixpence.jpg

1799 halfpenny 5 guns

1799Halfpenny5guns.jpg

1816 halfcrown. I didn't know it at the time but this turned out to be my Star Buy when I did the numbers back home.

First coin I bought, from an outfit called RP Coins... :)

1816Halfcrown.jpg

1816 Shilling. Suits you, Sir.

1816Shilling.jpg

1847 far colon Penny: bloody gorgeous with more lustre than I captured in the photo

1847Pennyfarcolon.jpg

1887 Sixpence. What's this? Why one of these. Look closely - yes, Obv 1, JEB ON trunc, not under. Blimey.

1887Sixpence1A.jpg

1893 small lettering Shilling. Blistering.

1893Shillingsmalllettering.jpg

1896 large rose Shilling. Very easy on the eye. I'll say.

1896Shillinglargerose.jpg

1901 Halfcrown. Closest to perfect I've ever seen.

1901Halfcrown.jpg

Blinkin' 'eck, Declan, there's no way you'll be allowed to go again! You must've had a sizeable limp when you walked through the midland doors!

I do especially like that halfpenny, and the '47 penny! :)

Edit: and the '93 and 96' shillings + the 1901 HC (posted after my post, these are my favourite of all!)

Edited by Coinery

Great coins Declan.

I do a quick circuit and then delve deeply.

I love your 1799 1/2d :)

You must have been like a kid in a sweet shop.

See what happens when you get let off the lead. :)

I did 3 laps in the time before they all started packing up. It was such a relief after years of wading through eBay dross looking for the gems - which of course, everyone else is always after too.

Sure, there was dross there too, but your eyes pass over it much quicker than an endlessly scrolling screen.

Great coins Declan.

I love your 1799 1/2d :)

Ditto. A very good day indeed, with coins to prove it! Well done!

WOWEE. You did very very well there Declan :)

Tell you what else I noticed - the almost complete absence of slabs. Lockett & Co were there,, but they didn't seem to be selling anything. Odd.

Mrs Peter restricts my visits. :(

I do prefer the football season as the football can be listened to on the way home.

Also in the summer after wearing my ruck sack for 3+ hours I get wetter than an otters pocket.

Blimey, Declan. Whose stock did you run off with? B)

I did 3 laps in the time before they all started packing up. It was such a relief after years of wading through eBay dross looking for the gems - which of course, everyone else is always after too.

Sure, there was dross there too, but your eyes pass over it much quicker than an endlessly scrolling screen.

See, I'll wean you off eBay eventually. You can't beat a coin fair. What you see is what you get, unlike eBay where what you see you might get applies. Coin fairs also filter out the washers, because nobody wants to carry them around for the day. They go into the melting pot as a default action. It's actually quite difficult to find something in less than fine at a coin fair unless it is at the very least scarce or rare.

Some nice coins there Declan. Your wallet must have took a good hit, but worth it when you Walk away with quality

Some cracking coins Declan. You can't beat a bit of quality.

The 1853 sixpence is not a proof in my opinion. The proofs usually tone readily but also have scalloped edges (there is one on the bay at the moment that shows what I mean).

What a tremendous haul Declan, absolutely love the 1799 and OH shillings in particular! It's so great to be able to examine them in the hand and not pay any commission or postage into the bargain isn't it! :D

As Nick says, a nice '53 6d to be sure, though sadly not a proof. Always have to watch the rub as well....

Must say, better than I've ever done at a show just looking through stock. Nice job!

Blimey, Declan. Whose stock did you run off with? B)

Most dealers there I'd never heard of, Clive, and looking them up afterwards quite a few have no internet presence at all, which is remarkable. Quite old school in a way - it almost felt a bit "underground", compared to the mainstream I'm used to swimming in.

As well as Rob, the other people who sold me stuff were:

David Craddock

Birmingham Coins

Ian Pratt

Paul Davis

Numismatic Legends

D T Peake

K B Coins

See, I'll wean you off eBay eventually. You can't beat a coin fair. What you see is what you get, unlike eBay where what you see you might get applies. Coin fairs also filter out the washers, because nobody wants to carry them around for the day. They go into the melting pot as a default action. It's actually quite difficult to find something in less than fine at a coin fair unless it is at the very least scarce or rare.

You will, Rob, of that there's no doubt! I even caught myself fantasising about having a table but I'd have to get into buying stock for stock's sake, and I'm not sure I want to do down that route. I have always avoided buying downgrades, so, unlike most dealers, I don't have sacks of junk in the cellar that I have cherry picked.

Some cracking coins Declan. You can't beat a bit of quality.

The 1853 sixpence is not a proof in my opinion. The proofs usually tone readily but also have scalloped edges (there is one on the bay at the moment that shows what I mean).

Found it, Nick! The scalloped edges are very clear - and that's an excellent tip for differentiation. Now if only there was something so clear to distinguish early strike silver threepences from Maundy!