British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm quite new to the acquisition of old coins, normally preferring to buy from the mint ect. those that I have got are ones which have been handed down to me, so I have little knowledge of reputable coin sellers, especially on the internet.
has anyone had any experience with this site? http://www.kentcoins.co.uk It seems a bit odd to me.

Any advice about buying old coins online would be helpful?

Hi Asumel, you may find your question is treated with some suspicion, as we have recently been asked a very similar question, but do bear with us and welcome aboard! :)

If you look in the members' section and read the post titled 'good dealers?' (I think that was the title), you'll understand!

Where you go depends on what you want. Ask the questions and you will get answers. Old coins covers a few thousand years of history starting with Lydia in around 700 BC through to decimalisation in 1970 and those decimals no longer circulating. All of us will accept returns in the event of you not being happy with a coin, but first you have to know what you want to collect. There are plenty of reputable characters in the business, but like most capable people tend not to shout from the rooftops. Personal recommendation from a third party is always a good sign.

Hi Asumel and welcome!

I've not dealt with Kent Coins, but do have them bookmarked in case anything interesting comes up in their stock. I'm not sure what you mean by odd? Looks like a normal low- to mid- range dealership to me. By which I mean that they have modestly priced coins in grades that reflect their prices.

Advice about buying old coins? Well ... that kinda depends on what you mean by 'old' really! Some people think of anything pre-decimal as old. Others would say a coin needs to have been around for over 1000 years to qualify! Me? Anything pre 1816, which is when the face value of coins was disconnected from the intrinsic value of the metal they were made from.

Bear in mind, old doesn't necessarily mean more valuble or expensive. Roman coins can be picked up for a few ££ and coins from the 1930s can be worth tens of thousands. It all depends on the coin and what condition it is in!

Basically, there are some who just collect anything they like. But most people collect within a time period, reign or by denomination (face value) of coin. To really advise you best we'd need to know what sorts of coins interest you.

So personally I'd recommend getting a book or two on coins from the library and see what appeals to you. Then you might like to read a bit more about coins that you like before spending too much money.

I know that's not as much fun as just going out and buying! But it makes it less likely you'll spend good money on something that really isn't worth it and you later regret. (Though I have to say, we've probably all been there and done that at some point!)

Edited by TomGoodheart

Just had a peep at Kentcoins and it seems mainly low grade. :(

Kent coins seems like a cheap low grade place to buy coins. Nothing very exciting, but the prices are ok for what they do sell.

Quite a few nicely priced things there.

might keep an eye on thier Hammered and early Milled £3-6 on this place for quite a few in the category, may be able to fill some monarchs.

seems to know thier stuff on the worlds though.

could be a bargain to be hard.

One to avoid bookmarking. Plastering images of 5 guineas and high grade hammered gives you a false sense of anticipation. :(

Low grade it looks like, but it certainly looks like it has stuff in my budget :)

I like high grade stuff as much as the next collector, but until I graduate and get a "real" job spending $250 on a coin is quite a large purchase! And spending a few bucks here and there for some misshapen medieval silver pieces is quite doable!

Yes, I suppose the only odd thing is that the pictures on the Home page don't reflect what is for sale. Bit like going to a zoo expecting to see lions and tigers and discovering mice and shrews instead. I would say, it is a free zoo though! Personally can't believe it's anything other than genuine.

Thanks for the advice,

I do realise now that I probably should have given a little bit more in the way of background and my likes.

Collecting really started when I was younger and my dad was moving to different country's and going on tour with the Air Force so a lot of my coins are probably still in circulation, bar those from Europe- pre Euro. When my nan passed away I inherited my Granddads collection, again from when he was in the Army, so the majority of his coins are from British colonies and nothing really older than the mid 1800's, Grandparents. I have been collecting British military coins from the Mint and Westminster collection but lately I have been interested in older British coins mainly because I find them fascinating. I have read a few books on coins and have a relatively good grasp but little/no experience on coin grading , and thus the reason for asking my question, as I would rather get advice before I start to branch out just to be on the safe side.
Thanks

I have been collecting British military coins from the Mint and Westminster collection but lately I have been interested in older British coins mainly because I find them fascinating. I have read a few books on coins and have a relatively good grasp but little/no experience on coin grading , and thus the reason for asking my question, as I would rather get advice before I start to branch out just to be on the safe side.

For grading perhaps Derek's (who is a member here) book might be of interest?: The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins

The only other thing I'd mention is that buying directly from the RM and companies like Westminster can be expensive. Very often their products can be picked up later on ebay for less. And of course, there may be less of a market for such things if ever you want to sell than for coins meant for circulation. If you like them, that's fine. But they aren't a money-maker. Except for the mints that make them in the first place of course!

Hi Asumel, you may find your question is treated with some suspicion, as we have recently been asked a very similar question, but do bear with us and welcome aboard! :)

If you look in the members' section and read the post titled 'good dealers?' (I think that was the title), you'll understand!

Blimy, I have read the "good Dealers" post and wished I had seen It before I posted as I can now see cautions other members may have!

I would Just like to say that this post was not meant to ruin reputations etc. and was a genuine question from someone relatively new to this :/

I have been collecting British military coins from the Mint and Westminster collection but lately I have been interested in older British coins mainly because I find them fascinating. I have read a few books on coins and have a relatively good grasp but little/no experience on coin grading , and thus the reason for asking my question, as I would rather get advice before I start to branch out just to be on the safe side.

For grading perhaps Derek's (who is a member here) book might be of interest?: The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins

The only other thing I'd mention is that buying directly from the RM and companies like Westminster can be expensive. Very often their products can be picked up later on ebay for less. And of course, there may be less of a market for such things if ever you want to sell than for coins meant for circulation. If you like them, that's fine. But they aren't a money-maker. Except for the mints that make them in the first place of course!

Thanks for the advice I will take a look at the book :)

I'm not really looking to make any money out of this, I enjoy collecting these beautiful pieces of art, but because of my inexperience the mint and Westminster were safe purchaces.

Blimy, I have read the "good Dealers" post and wished I had seen It before I posted as I can now see cautions other members may have!

I would Just like to say that this post was not meant to ruin reputations etc. and was a genuine question from someone relatively new to this :/

It sounds like you're moving into the field in absolutely the right way. As has already been said, the Grading Book by Derek Allen is fast becoming a standard must-have, and is on most collectors shelves, definitely worth buying!

There are few questions that can't be answered by the members of this forum, it's probably the largest and greatest resource there is! :)

There are few questions that can't be answered by the members of this forum,

Yeah, but most of those are things like "Why are the Kardashians so popular?" and "Who are One Direction?" so don't really count!

Yeah, but most of those are things like "Why are the Kardashians so popular?" and "Who are One Direction?" so don't really count!

Oh, TG :D!

Yes, I suppose the only odd thing is that the pictures on the Home page don't reflect what is for sale. Bit like going to a zoo expecting to see lions and tigers and discovering mice and shrews instead. I would say, it is a free zoo though! Personally can't believe it's anything other than genuine.

:lol:

Are they the popular cousins of the extremely unpleasant Cardassians? Yes, and who ARE One Direction? (I did hear one of their songs that I thought was someone doing a remake of The Who's 'Baba O'Riley')

Are they the popular cousins of the extremely unpleasant Cardassians? Yes, and who ARE One Direction? (I did hear one of their songs that I thought was someone doing a remake of The Who's 'Baba O'Riley')

I'm afraid I can't answer those questions Peck.