British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter

£20 Silver Coin For £20

I didn't get one at the end. Apparently, CGS has already graded 68 of these things?! 5 are at CGS 99. Rather surprised by the 99 since they weren't minted to proof standard. Some individual (coin8x.co.uk) is even trying to sell one at, wait for it, at the £999.99.

My understanding is that the CGS grading system is by type, therefore there is no theoretical reason why a circulation non-proof coin could not achieve a grade of 100 ... this despite some anomalies in their descriptions for the grades, CGS 88 and above referencing FDC which normally refers to proof coins only.

I have non-proof coins graded as MS70 by NGC ...

I didn't get one at the end. Apparently, CGS has already graded 68 of these things?! 5 are at CGS 99. Rather surprised by the 99 since they weren't minted to proof standard. Some individual (coin8x.co.uk) is even trying to sell one at, wait for it, at the £999.99.

My understanding is that the CGS grading system is by type, therefore there is no theoretical reason why a circulation non-proof coin could not achieve a grade of 100 ... this despite some anomalies in their descriptions for the grades, CGS 88 and above referencing FDC which normally refers to proof coins only.

True, I agree that in theory a non-proof can be graded 100. But I think the mint might not be bothered enough to use perfect flans and handle the resulting coins so carefully for ordinary coins.

True, I agree that in theory a non-proof can be graded 100. But I think the mint might not be bothered enough to use perfect flans and handle the resulting coins so carefully for ordinary coins.

Yes, the existence of 'perfect' circulation coins is like the Dodo!

I brought one mainly to obtain a mint George and Dragon design coin of a reasonable size and cost to help with grading other coins of that design. Also the price wasn't too bad and the coin's ok for a modern coin.

I don't think the modern Pistrucci St George is struck as nicely as the older ones were. The newer coins seem to all lack detail. Another excellent cheap way of getting a larger St George is to buy a 1951 Crown.

I have to agree, as I remember reading in the CCGB book that the '51 crowns were made with the same die as the 1899 crowns. No doubt this will have been altered slightly for the £20 coin.

I remember reading in the CCGB book that the '51 crowns were made with the same die as the 1899 crowns.

Wow! Really? I didn't know that!