British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter

£20 Silver Coin For £20

I have convinced myself to get three of these (free recorded postage)

.999 silver 1/2 a troy ounce 27mm dia with a mintage of 250,000

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/UK_2013_20_pound_for_20_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin_George_and_the_Dragon

They are being released 31/10/2013.

The fact they are UK only our North American/Aussie buddies will be gagging for them.

So. Unfair.

Actually, Canada started a very similar thing a couple of years ago

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/20-for-20-fine-silver-coin-iceberg-and-whale-2013-prod1690016#.UioBh38a-Fg

Although the Canadian coin is about half the size

But... I want one. And can't get one :(

Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up cheap on the 'Bay

As a good contributor to the forum maybe I can sort something out for you.

Edited by Peter

I can sell you one for 30 quid outwith ebay as they are rare as hell :rolleyes:

Interesting!

Bit of a premium there though!

Britannias can be bought for 5 quid over spot silver I seem to recall...

Bit of a premium there though!

Britannias can be bought for 5 quid over spot silver I seem to recall...

But it does have a face value of £20. I am only tempted to get one because of Pistrucci's St George and Dragon design... (I can never get tried of seeing it)

Good looking thing for 20gbp, might have to get one of you fellows to mail one to Australia :)

Yes, we have this kind of coin (20$ for 20$), but they are very small...

Yours is a lot more interesting!

I remember reading a newspaper article earlier in the year saying that banks are not obliged to accept £5 coins even though they are legal tender.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/royal-mint-is-accused-over-5-coin-thats-not-worth-a-penny-8630466.html

It is not so relevant here since it is a nice looking silver coin for £20 and most people will want to keep them. But there will be a lot of bad feeling if the Royal Mint try issuing coins with face value of say £100 (but only contain say £30 worth of silver) which banks won't take.

^^
In 2005 I thought it'd be quirky to get 10 of the Trafalgar £5 coins from the post office and then spend them in shops.

To my surprise I was only turned away maybe once or twice. I did £20 worth of shopping at Morrissons, handed over 4 of the coins... the cashier didn't even bat an eyelid and took all 4.

My local branch of HSBC exchanged a bag of 1977 Jubilee Crowns at 20p each, so I've no doubt they would also accept these £20 coins if need be.

Back to the £20 coin.
Rip off Merchents the 'London Coin Company' already have these up for sale on eBay for the disgusting price of £115 each.

I wish the issue limit was greater than 3 so I could help out some of my foreign coin collecting friends in getting one.

They will have to be kept with extra care also due to the .999 silver which is pretty soft as metals go, very easily scratched.

If I know the Royal Mint like I think I know they royal mint, these will probably come in some sort of Blister Pack.

I'm pleased I bought these coins. Seems to be a no risk purchase, with the slight chance of investment value. Also good as interesting Christmas presents.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/UK_2013_20_pound_for_20_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin_George_and_the_Dragon

The fact they are UK only our North American/Aussie buddies will be gagging for them.

I bought 3 direct from the Royal mint, £60 (face) plus £12 shipping. Was your note meant to imply that we couldn't order them in the USA? Mine arrived early last week (Nov 5 I believe).

I bought 3 direct from the Royal mint, £60 (face) plus £12 shipping. Was your note meant to imply that we couldn't order them in the USA? Mine arrived early last week (Nov 5 I believe).

The initial offer / advert was UK only.

Obviously the market for mint products is quite suppressed in the UK.

I did order 3 £60 for £60 is a no brainer.

There are apparently 2 types identified already (2 marks on the butt of the horse & clear butt)....see coincomm.

BTW I am pleased with mine. :)

There are apparently 2 types identified already (2 marks on the butt of the horse & clear butt)....see coincomm.

Got my 3 too, agreed it surely is a no-lose situation ... surely there is no way you would get less than £20 for one in the future (unless sold for £23 on eBay), and they were free postage ...

I don't understand, why three? If for a future return, there are better coins to spend the other £40 on for that, surely?

Got my 3 too, agreed it surely is a no-lose situation ... surely there is no way you would get less than £20 for one in the future (unless sold for £23 on eBay), and they were free postage ...

I explained to my daughters that they were currency and could be spent...Mrs Peter twitched her variables.

I don't understand, why three? If for a future return, there are better coins to spend the other £40 on for that, surely?

No UK postage is payable if you buy 3. Otherwise p&p is £3 for 1 coin and £5 for two.

I think that really all that is going for them is the face value. Mintage is quite high, silver is only £7... I just don't think they are worth it.

I didn't get one at the end. Apparently, CGS has already graded 68 of these things?! 5 are at CGS 99. Rather surprised by the 99 since they weren't minted to proof standard. Some individual (coin8x.co.uk) is even trying to sell one at, wait for it, at the £999.99.

I had to buy all 3 of the different £20 coins so far to do pics of for the next CC Decimal.

I brought one mainly to obtain a mint George and Dragon design coin of a reasonable size and cost to help with grading other coins of that design. Also the price wasn't too bad and the coin's ok for a modern coin.