British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colliewalker1

UNC Coins

I would like to know the opinion of members on the collectability of UNC (silver/'silver') coins.

These coins obviously show the full beauty of the unworn design - but

do they so lack the 'romance' and 'charisma'of circulated coins that they are unappealing to collectors? Do they suffer the same 'handicap' as bright and sparkling cleaned coins?

If UNC coins don't appeal, why are they more expensive than circulated versions??!!

Perhaps the answer is to have one of each example - a nice circulated coin plus one which is UNC?!

I will now confess to the sin of CLEANING a coin :rolleyes: - I have two Morgan Dollars - one which is pretty well perfect (dated 1891)and bought as 'High Grade'and the other(dated 1890)bought on Ebay without a grading tag - but I would venture to say is probably EF or close to it.

I have cleaned the dirt away (mainly located around the highest/lowest parts and from the milled edge) using distilled water

and liquid soap. I was amazed at how easily the soiling came away and TO ME the coin looks much more attractive - as bright and clean as my 'High Grade' dollar - or as a UNC version.... :)

I like uncirculated coins, that's the grade that you really should be aiming for in my opinion. They show the full complexity of the design and the skill of the engraver to extraordinary effect. However, they don't have the same feel as a coin which has been circulated. It all depends on how you want to collect; if you want beauty, uncirculated is excellent.

I don't like low grade coins, I try to buy in as high a condition as I can afford. I also can't see what many other members see in low grade coins - some say they have a "history" of being used, but then again, so does every coin not in a case.

I don't like low grade coins, I try to buy in as high a condition as I can afford. I also can't see what many other members see in low grade coins - some say they have a "history" of being used, but then again, so does every coin not in a case.

Personally if you want a good collection and you want quality then i'd say you should aim to have all you coins in UNC.

My own preferences though are slightly different, but not all that much.

I like coins with a bit of toning (not on modern UNC coins though as a rule), but more than that i find most coins grading around EF to be suitable for my wants and needs, they still have exceptional detail but you also know they've been out there in circulation not just sat in a drawer for 200 years. So i like high grade circulated coins anything GVF to GEF and i'm happy.

Anything lower than VF and i shun it. (Usually unless i can't afford to do otherwise).

I generally follow these rules;

17th century = GVF-GEF (These always look better circulated, lightly circ'ed EFs are the nicest)

18th century = GVF-UNC (as above)

19th century = AEF-UNC/BU (Victoria onwards UNC)

20th century to 1920 = GEF-UNC/BU (UNC preferred)

Post 1920 = UNC/BU only.

I like GVF/AEF the most though, but in the crazy world of high grade Early milled they are the grades you see most of. UNC coins just don't exist for some of the years, sometimes the highest grade is that elusive good Extremely Fine possibly sliding to Almost UNC.

Uncirculated coins have a lot of history.......they have probably been traded and put in collections....maybe even famous ones! I collect BU's because the lustre and the detail of the coin just appeals so much to me......i don't find 'Fine' coins that attractive regardless of whether it is rare or not.

hmm...this is a hard one to answer...

Well, i am currently collecting farthings from 1902-1956 in no less than 'Brilliant Uncirculated Full Lustre' condition (unless it is Ext.Rare)...

When i get onto Victorian Bronze (1860-1901) then i will probably also go for the BUFL examples...Victorian Copper (1838-1859, 1860 and 1864) however will (to me) probably preferably collected in GEF-UNC...

I will probably skip most of the George III-William VI (1760-1837) because they do not really appeal to me...

When i get to Anne-George II (1713-1754) i will probably aim for GVF-UNC, but only UNC if it looks nice...

When i get to Charles II-William III (1672 (skipping patterns) -1702 (was it 1702? (have no book at hand))) i will aim for Fine-GEF...

if i manage to get to the hamered examples from James I - Cromwell (1613-1658) then i suppose i would not care much about grade, but about eye appeal...;)

...i hate modern (1838-1956) coins in a grade less than EF...i prefer my older (1662-1714) coins to look as if they fit the date that is on them ;)

Uncirculated coins have a lot of history.......they have probably been traded and put in collections....maybe even famous ones! I collect BU's because the lustre and the detail of the coin just appeals so much to me......i don't find 'Fine' coins that attractive regardless of whether it is rare or not.

It's not the same i want coins that have been carried in people's pockets, changed hands at taverns, possibly nded up in the money bags of a highwayman etc.

I dunno why but everytime i see guineas i keep imagining Dick Turpin with those old guns pulling up coaches and robbing people blind. Which leads me on to wonder if he painted a white line across his face and did he really say Stand and Deliver? ;)

...i hate modern (1838-1956) coins in a grade less than EF...i prefer my older (1662-1714) coins to look as if they fit the date that is on them ;)

Exactly JMD!

Here here, unless it's 1693 or 4 then i want high grade ones!

Are you going for the tin ones too then JMD?

Tin...hmm...i think that i will have to see about that when i get to that stage...tin has to be in a realy high grade to be properly appreciated (in my opinion), and high grade tin is expencieve :(;)

The problem with BU is it can be spoiled so easily... you can call it BU but it can still be marred by bagmarks, uneven lustre and weak striking. No coin is perfect.

I'm usually happy with a nice toned EF, although I collect better if I can. A dealer once said to me "I like a nice bit of dirt... it makes grading easier"... and I think I am starting to agree with him, for silver at least.

"I like a nice bit of dirt... it makes grading easier"... and I think I am starting to agree with him, for silver at least.

Truer words were never spoken. I agree with that 100%.