British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Looking For A Proof Morgan Dollar Price

1881 to be precise graded by PCGS a PF63 anyone from across the Pond or this side know what These might be worth? I know what krause says, but we don't go buy book values normally

2011 red book has an 1881 proof Morgan as being $3,150 with a mintage of 984. I don't know why its so much higher than most of the other years, I mean in the same book 1904 has a mintage of 650 but is worth $3,100. I don't have the budget to collect Morgan proofs so I couldn't tell you whether that estimate is close or far off in today's market. I do see though that NGC has a similar price estimate on it http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/us-coin-price-trends.aspx?c=17316&g=63

Thanks generic

Have you done much outside of the UK coinage, Azda? Totally mystifies me, it's so massive!

The 2012 Red Book has the price @ $3,150 for the proof.

I get to read posts on a USA forum that the Red Book rates are a bit high.Although the proofs are more specilised.

Have you done much outside of the UK coinage, Azda? Totally mystifies me, it's so massive!

I picked up a few proof Packs Stuart from various cointries. The one that mystified me was 3 belgian proof 500 Francs selling for £67 i have another pack which i listed yesterday, but to make a few £s here and there i don't think sticking to just British coinage will ever make me a millionaire and so picklng up some foreign stuff along the way.

I won 3 auctions last week and one teils me he's away for 2 weeks holiday and won't ship till he's back :( the other said my card did'nt work but i paid online 10 mins later without Problem, they use the saleroom shipping service which won't be picked up for 10 days ffs :( and the other teils me of a postal dispute in the UK arrggghhhhh.

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make Stuart is that you can't rely on BINs, you need bread and butter coins that you can sell on a daily basis in auction to keep yourself ticking over and picking up 1 or 2 BINs here and there that can afford to sit.

I'm now waiting on 117 coins and sets and only 1 of those will be a BIN. I won't be going for the Morgan Dollar either, its to expensive but i have spotted a Sov rarity, so maybe a wee stab on that, although Gold is a pain in the arse to shift unless you're John Blyth and shill it in auction

Edited by azda

I get to read posts on a USA forum that the Red Book rates are a bit high.Although the proofs are more specilised.

All coins are High priced to ANY buyer Peter. Those Rainbow Morgans are silly money for a coin that has a Little bit of colour and were minted in millions. A proof with less than a 1000 mintage compared to a business strike mintage is in my eyes quite cheap at $3000

All coins are High priced to ANY buyer Peter. Those Rainbow Morgans are silly money for a coin that has a Little bit of colour and were minted in millions. A proof with less than a 1000 mintage compared to a business strike mintage is in my eyes quite cheap at $3000

Be very careful indeed. A lot of those Morgans are so 'prooflike' you'd easily be fooled. I have one you'd swear was a proof (frosted design, mirror fields), but it's not.

Be very careful indeed. A lot of those Morgans are so 'prooflike' you'd easily be fooled. I have one you'd swear was a proof (frosted design, mirror fields), but it's not.

Excellent point Peck. The 1881 Dollar is well know for having "Proof like" business strikes! I have never seen one passed on as a proof...but the 1881's are beautifully struck Dollars, and would fool many!

When a MS65 books at $750 there is a danger.You would have to trust PCG'S expertese.

When a MS65 books at $750 there is a danger.You would have to trust PCG'S expertese.

While ngc and pcgs might make a mistake id'ing a british coin, they would not do the same with a silver dollar! Lol!

Gold is a pain in the arse to shift unless you're John Blyth and shill it in auction

:lol:

While ngc and pcgs might make a mistake id'ing a british coin, they would not do the same with a silver dollar! Lol!

The funny thing is, it doesn't really much matter! No matter if it was a business or proof strike I'm sure the vast, vast majority of collectors and dealers will take PCGS's word for it. That's what makes fake slabs so dangerous...

Once its in plastic, common sense goes bye bye.

Well just bought myself an 1878 Carson City Morgan Dollar. I notice by the NGC site you listed here generic that there seems to be several different types of these. Maybe you or Bob can Check it out for me when it arrives and Tell me which it is

Edited by azda

Well just bought myself an 1878 Carson City Morgan Dollar. I notice by the NGC site you listed here generic that there seems to be several different types of these. Maybe you or Bob can Check it out for me when it arrives and Tell me which it is

http://www.vamworld.com/VAM+and+Coin+FAQ

http://kingofcc.com/vam.html?gclid=CLzcj6SooLkCFdFDMgodXXwAww

http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/varieties/vam-varieties/

Azda,

Currently there is only one (1) 1878-CC priced in the Redbook, although there is 1878-P, with multiple varieties mentioned. With that said, there may be some VAM varieties that are listed in the VAM list, that are not yet listed in the Redbook. The above links will help somewhat in understanding VAM varieties. I hope this helps. BTW...1878-CC (and any CC for that matter) is a welcome addition to any Dollar set. They are very sought after!

So in essence Bob, these 2 guys did a die study and now dealers have ramped up their prices with more schmazmataz than they already do while quoting how rare VAM have said coin X is?

So in essence Bob, these 2 guys did a die study and now dealers have ramped up their prices with more schmazmataz than they already do while quoting how rare VAM have said coin X is?

I think you have it Azda. Many collector's here don't pay any attention to VAM numbers (unless they happen to have one of the scarcer numbers, LOL!) for silver dollars...I don't! I think, as a general rule, British collectors are more interested in micro varieties than collectors in the USA. JMHO!

And here it is

P8301031.jpg

P8301032.jpg

And here it is

P8301031.jpg

P8301032.jpg

EF40, maybe EF-45 is the grade Azda. You might take away some points for the small edge nicks on the reverse. A very nice coin. It shows a lot of hair above the ear on the obverse, which is a well struck coin. A quick "dip" will remove the slight toning, and may result in better luster! JMHO! Ha,Ha!

Thanks for the Info Bob. Is there a VAM number to this?

Thanks for the Info Bob. Is there a VAM number to this?

http://www.vamworld.com/

Here you go Azda, everything you ever wanted to know about VAM's! Search for 1878-CC...there are some VAM numbers for this coin. Yours may be one of them!

Edited by RLC35

Just a curious question Bob. During the die study did anything turn up that wouöd be rare/extremely rare etc. As far as i can see most of this is down to slight movements and nothing more. How do they conclude from the millions of Morgans that were minted that a certain coin or year is rare?

As i previously said, i assume American Dealers are Nw. Using/quoting VAM to increase their prices, have you noticed this?

Just a curious question Bob. During the die study did anything turn up that wouöd be rare/extremely rare etc. As far as i can see most of this is down to slight movements and nothing more. How do they conclude from the millions of Morgans that were minted that a certain coin or year is rare?

As i previously said, i assume American Dealers are Nw. Using/quoting VAM to increase their prices, have you noticed this?

You are correct with your assumptions, most of the VAM's are blob's die cracks, and minor stuff...all of which are not listed in the Redbook. The real varieties...0 over CC, 7 over 6, Dbl Die, 80 over 79, etc have separate listing and pricing in the Redbook. Some dealers do expect more for a coin, with a VAM number, but I am not one of those people. I would not pay a premium for a VAM coin!

BTW...I am going to be in my Father's Family homeland (Scotland) in late September. Going to Glasgow, Laggan, Airth/Falkirk, and Edinburgh (also England and Wales). BTW...what is haggis? Is it any good? Ha,Ha! We are going to have a dinner in Edinburgh that has haggis on the menu! We are on a Trafalger tour.

Haggis - An acquired taste when boiled (unless you love boiled lamb fat), amazing when sliced and fried like black pudding! Totally different animal, then!

You are correct with your assumptions, most of the VAM's are blob's die cracks, and minor stuff...all of which are not listed in the Redbook. The real varieties...0 over CC, 7 over 6, Dbl Die, 80 over 79, etc have separate listing and pricing in the Redbook. Some dealers do expect more for a coin, with a VAM number, but I am not one of those people. I would not pay a premium for a VAM coin!

BTW...I am going to be in my Father's Family homeland (Scotland) in late September. Going to Glasgow, Laggan, Airth/Falkirk, and Edinburgh (also England and Wales). BTW...what is haggis? Is it any good? Ha,Ha! We are going to have a dinner in Edinburgh that has haggis on the menu! We are on a Trafalger tour.

Haggis is a once a year meal for me at most and I wouldn't bother having it in a restaurant.Good butchers make their own and it's easy to cook.

Haggis is all the scraps (heart etc and pearl barley)When put this into an intestine it comes alive.!!!!

Their are some special ones that live on heather.You just have to pluck them and snip off the wings.

Try battered mars bars or pizza and blacken your teeth so you fit in. B)