British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Good Fine Mule £1,250 Any Takers?

I see the ex used car salesmans mrs has a mule farthing for sale for £1250 , real bargain that isn't it chaps? :lol:

O.O

doesn't matter how rare a coin is, nothing post 1860 is worth that, and there are fair few rarer things.

Here is what a real Mule looks like. It has some edge marks on the reverse, but it is the real thing! I just picked it up at the "ANA Worlds Fair of Money" in Chicago yesterday. Believe me...I'll take a lot less the 1,250 for it! Ha,Ha!

post-509-0-60548100-1376605119_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-42955400-1376605134_thumb.jpg

Some of those obverse 'teeth' look very bead like to me.

Dave, I just took a look at Martin Platt's 1860, that you guys referred too...in my opinion it really is a Mule...FYI! Ha,Ha

I like the Description of this, just Shows the arrogance of the man, last Paragraph reads:

We have never come across another example of this medallion so must assume it is quite rare - possibly

So basically what he's saying is, if the Platts have Never seen or handled one then it will be rare.

• Like 1

Full description

An opportunity to acquire a beautiful choice example of the

1952 - 1977 QUEEN ELIZABETH II SILVER JUBILEE MEDALLION

Boxed in original case of issue.

Obverse depicts Queen's bust with legend 'HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN ELIZABETH II' and dates 1952 - 1977 below.

Reverse shows crown with lettering '25 YEARS'. There are thistles, roses, daffodils and shamrock beneath representing the four countries of the United Kingdom and the legend reads 'THE QUEEN'S SILVER JUBILEE'

Struck in sterling 0.925 silver - weight 24.5 grams - diameter is 38mm.

We have never come across another example of this medallion so must assume it is quite rare - possibly privately struck?

Bidding starts at 99p with no reserve.

O.O

doesn't matter how rare a coin is, nothing post 1860 is worth that, and there are fair few rarer things.

Try telling that to a prospective buyer of a BU 1874 "G's over sideways" :D

Dave, I just took a look at Martin Platt's 1860, that you guys referred too...in my opinion it really is a Mule...FYI! Ha,Ha

Bob,

Fair enough - from the pic, I didn't like the look of the bead like teeth. Maybe more obvious in hand. Either way, at £1250 and cleaned, I'm not interested.

O.O

Try telling that to a prospective buyer of a BU 1874 "G's over sideways" :D

I know of one in existence...just got to wait for it to come on the market :D

Bob,

Fair enough - from the pic, I didn't like the look of the bead like teeth. Maybe more obvious in hand. Either way, at £1250 and cleaned, I'm not interested.

I agree with Bob it is a genuine 1860 Mule.

What grade is the coin? Would have to be GEF + at that price

Just seen the pics looks like a gvf so definitely not worth 1250

I think it is either VF or GVF, but it does have a weak reverse. Worth about 450 to 500 pounds...IMHO!

Yes totally agree

O.O

How about an 1864 copper proof farthing??

How about a proof 1863 or proof 1869 farthing - these are RARE!

Is there a 1869 proof farthing? I don't see one in the book.

Yes, I have seen it. Was originally sold in an SNC circular about 10 years ago...I would think it would go 1250 or above if it came up for sale.

Edited by VickySilver

O.O

Looks like I'm a serial offender in the overpaying department then. :o

Are the choices limited to farthings? If so, I am guilty as well...

Like maybe the '93 Jub. 6d in high grade, etc.?

I must confess that the prospect of a 1933 penny or whatever for less than £1250 does have its appeal. To provide the means of passing a law on this matter I suggest we vote Scott for our MP (Bury South) and get rid of that Ivan Lewis bloke.

I must confess that the prospect of a 1933 penny or whatever for less than £1250 does have its appeal. To provide the means of passing a law on this matter I suggest we vote Scott for our MP (Bury South) and get rid of that Ivan Lewis bloke.

lol he has my vote! Will it be inflation adjusted each year Scott?

Did not a Bury mp go to prison for fraud , really we should vote martin Platt MP for bury.

I think you are very generous gradeing the platt mule GVF or vf - I am sure its not that nice.

I think i am closer with good fine , or maybe my grading is bit strict.