British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colliewalker1

George IV 1822 Farthing AUNC + Lustre

Farthings don't 'turn me on' but this one described as AUNC + Lustre looks perfect and I would be interested to know what Master Jmd thinks of it as farthings are his speciality.

The auction has 5 days to go - current bid £10.50

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4398&item=3928504704&rd=1

What value would you put on this Master Jmd?

Incidentally, although some people have a bias against Ebay, I find that their enormous offering of coins is well worth looking at: if one uses Ebay with caution I think that there are some 'good buys' to be had there. After all, I bought a 'HIgh Grade' Morgan Dollar' from Chris there!!! :)

There's an edge knock otherwise it'd perfect.

I used to collect farthings too! I have knowledge :P It's very nice but it's got a while to run so the price could leap.

Hmm...it is quite nice, but the edge knocks are a bit of a bum...hmm...i dont really like George III, George IV and William IV obverses...i shall have to give it a miss i think ;)

I like those observes! Especially the bare head.

they are all basicly the same (bull head types (i think))...i do like the obverses of George III's 1771 coins ;)

Basically the same!? Yes, they are all men - that's where the similarity ends!

I think Master JMD is being pulled towrds Early Milled... :D

they are all basicly the same (bull head types (i think))...i do like the obverses of George III's 1771 coins ;)

I don't think the bare head and the bull head are similar, it's only my opinion though ;)

I don't think the bare head and the bull head are similar, it's only my opinion though ;)

Look at the bulging eyes for a start on the Geo III ones nothing like the Geo IV ones.

well...i dont actually have a coin of theirs both at the moment...

maybe its just the era ;) ...

anyway...i do not like their coinage...whatever he reason may be ;)

What's wrong with the era!!!!!! :o

What's wrong with the era!!!!!! :o

I think you'll find 1801-1837 a very interesting period actually, it was the period that saw the Napoleonic Wars, Waterloo (no i don't mean the station), Trafalgar, the furthering of the Industrial Revolution (not the boring stuff from the 1750s and 1780s that we all got bored to tears with at school or still are getting bored with like farming and that rubbish), but he growing of industry, furthering the canal network.

The biggest thing to come out of that period was the railways which for the first time enabled people to travel from one side of the country to the other in but a day or two rather than a week or two on the coaches.

It also witnessed the first rail fatality too which was interesting it was non other than an MP by the name of Huskisson who copped it, a Tory nonetheless [it would be, :rolleyes: the Tories have hated railways ever since] anyhow he had something to do with the 1816 currency reform, well he was an economist that wrote a phamphlet on the state of the currency in 1810 so i suppose he did have something to do with it.

Anyhow on the fatal day in 1830 which was the opening day of the Manchester-Liverpool Railway line, Huskisson was there, William IV was absent on that day but the Prime Minister Arthur Wellsey was there instead [that's the Duke of Wellington to everyone else]. Anyhow Huskisson got run over by the 'Rocket', George Stephenson who was also present was not impressed that day either.

I've also read stories of William IV riding around London in his open topped coach shaking hands with people as he went along and asking everyone if they were having a nice day, this being in between him spitting and using strong language, but being in the Navy most of his life is that a surprise? Lets put it this way it was a refreshing change from Geo IV in many people's eyes.

An interesting story about Geo IV was that people viewed him as odd for many reasons, one of these was the fact that he took baths quite often, usually once a week or more, so he was considered a bit effeminate. His wife naturally didn't take baths and was considered normal that is also one reason why he couldn't wait to get rid of her.

I know it was, i was surprised that JMD thought that there was something wrong with the era.

i meant the era of coinage...the non-coinage era was very interesting yes ;)

I know it was, i was surprised that JMD thought that there was something wrong with the era.

I shouldn't have quoted your post there Jon!

so he was considered a bit effeminate

George IV designed his own coronation crown with the emblems of the United Kingdom on it (Shamrock, Rose and Thistle) encrusted in diamonds. However, he wasn't allowed to use it as it was thought too effeminate at the time.