British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Any thoughts on what the Cromwell farthing will go for??? Estimate looks high

Today there are many coins I would love.

I shall just watch a few and grin as the estimates are blown sky high.At least DNW are consistent with low estimates.

Didn't get any of my 3, but got a lot closer than expected (earlier bid at the same price on one, underbidder on another). Seemed to me that the high rollers ran out of money in the 2nd half of the day?

Now I know I haven't spent anything, I might turn up at the Spink auction next week - most of the coins I would be after are in the early morning so hope the same pattern isn't followed.

I thought that a lot of the lots went not much above estimate with quite a few between estimates. I think you could count the lots that went over double top estimate on both hands. The viccy crowns and half crowns were very strong. A lot I hadn't notice that is comming up today will be interesting, I hadn't noticed it because the set didn't include the crown. It's the 1953 coronation set and it has all of the unlisted Davies types, including the toothed penny. 20k plus anyone.

Edited by Gary1000

Yaaaaaaaaay got one :D

And another :D

Edited by azda

Rob, where did you find all that provenance on the Briot halfcrown? Incredible! Wish I could do that with my York hcrown.

Rob, where did you find all that provenance on the Briot halfcrown? Incredible! Wish I could do that with my York hcrown.

It was illustrated in Clarke-Thornhill and Gantz and C-T bought Thorburn 225.

I'll have a cursory look for the 1E when I've tiime

Edited by Rob

70k for the una one doesnt seem too bad? :P might give it a shot next time

It was illustrated in Clarke-Thornhill and Gantz and C-T bought Thorburn 225.

I'll have a cursory look for the 1E when I've tiime

Brilliant if you can Rob. Thanks. Nick

I just got online and am sitting here watching the sovereigns selling for 8-10 times estimate. The three lots I am interested in are coming up shortly.

I just got online and am sitting here watching the sovereigns selling for 8-10 times estimate. The three lots I am interested in are coming up shortly.

...and they are all being hoovered up by one buyer (no 16).

Edited by Nick

Wow :wacko:

The 1863 GVF sixpence just sold for the price of an UNC :(

I thought it went for £470 hammer? That's about half Spink UNC book price (£1000).

Edited by Nick

I thought it went for £470 hammer? That's about half Spink UNC book price (£1000).

CCGB has the UNC at £400

Wow, the 1863 florin went at 14k! I think I want to mount an expiditionary and get mine taken by my ex-wife!

CCGB has the UNC at £400

That seems a bit low.

Edited by Nick

I think No 16 is buying on behalf of others as he was buying loads yesterday, I think it was him sitting at the table and was taking telephone bids.

I think No 16 is buying on behalf of others as he was buying loads yesterday, I think it was him sitting at the table and was taking telephone bids.

Ok. That would explain it. Either that or he has seriously deep pockets.

I got 3 lots, My favourite is lot 1362 Sorry if you were also bidding tomgoodheart

I got 3 lots, My favourite is lot 1362 Sorry if you were also bidding tomgoodheart

Three here, too. :)

I got three lots too. But the two lots I really really wanted went way above what I was willing to pay.

No, you're OK Dave. Just out of interest for my records, how much was it?

It might interest you to know that the curious inner circle bit to the lower bust isn't due to double striking, but the die itself. Compare it with this coin and I think you'll see what I mean:

post-129-0-40429100-1379522746_thumb.jpg

What did lot 1371 go for. Had it down for a bid, but went to work and did'nt bother. Its the York shilling

For someone who had no intention on buying amything from this sale 875 euros later i did well

Edited by azda

£190