British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Completely agree I always work with that strategy, yet today I thought I would bid live and ofcourse I couldn't help myself!!!! Had a 1000 max to bid on a lot and the next thing I was bidding 1400!!! Fortunately i didn't end up with the coin!!! Dangerous thing to get caught up in a bidding war!!!

most i was going to bid was 1500 and i went to 3500 :ph34r:

I am watching the live bidding. First time I have done this and, I must admit, it is quite fun. There is very little in today's sale that is of interest to me but I enjoy being a 'voyeur'.

Just watched lot 189, the 1817 Three Graces pattern crown in silver estimated at £6000 to £8000 sell for £19000 -- thought the auctioneer mentioned that it went to someone bidding from Japan.

There was lots of bidding from Japan in the Mellors and Kirk as well.

The Japanese are even buying English hammered, which always surprises me!

Just watched lot 189, the 1817 Three Graces pattern crown in silver estimated at £6000 to £8000 sell for £19000 -- thought the auctioneer mentioned that it went to someone bidding from Japan.

The Japanese are even buying English hammered, which always surprises me!

I have noticed that Americans generally pay more fro British coins than we would. If the Japanese are the same can we expect this to push overall values of our coins up?

I think that's what we're witnessing, Jaggy

I don't think these are normal times. Low interest rates might be something to do with it?

Edited by declanwmagee

Well, there are clearly some people with an awful lot of cash sloshing about in their bank accounts.

Am I the only one who finds this whole trend very depressing, even though it does push up the paper values of many coins in my collection?

Edited by DaveG38

Absolutely, I just find I don't want to add coins at these outrageous prices and am glad I went out and splurged some years ago. The 1849 LD was a perfect example as it used to be a scarce but affordable at the GEF level. New playing field for the better bits so we have to get used to it if we are going to "play".

Thing is .... I didn't start collecting coins to make money. So pushing up the value doesn't do me any good and just stops me from acquiring some coins that I would very much like.

Just keep on drip feeding the collection. Nobody will time the market perfectly. Some will be overpaid and others bought cheaply, but more importantly you have fulfilled your collecting desires.

The internet is great if you are the vendor.

The internet drove the bidding on the lots I watched.

I didn't get anything, and I was looking at some relatively unpopular items apart from the Briot above. A 3/- bank token hammering at 480. Usually you can't give them away. No chance of buying for resale, as many things hammered at more than you could ask. Then there's the premium etc to consider.

Be interesting to see waht happens tomorrow. DNW could well be similar, and advance bidding on CNG means prices are already stratospheric on some lots.

most i was going to bid was 1500 and i went to 3500 :ph34r:

If that is the sort of cash a student has access to these days, then I should be entering into education once again.

Edited by Nick

Most surprising result for me at DNW today was the 1887 proof halfcrown selling for £1100. Only 3x Spink book price.

Edited by Nick

Utterly dismal day,every lot I wanted sailing into obilivion,with me trying to catch it in a tea strainer.

Then when the sale of all the lots I wanted was over,I thought the 1887 halfcrown Proof looks OK lot 286,i'll go home with that.

That was a mistake lovely coin but for over a 1K not a chance.

awell two months ogiling the catalogue down the swanny.the joy of coin addiction.

And how, pray tell, would a dealer buy any of these and sell them at a profit? Or are they all leaving for Japan?

These crazy auction prices must certainly be cutting the dealers completely!!!

I noticed that to Declan, i did get one lot though ;)

Its not the auction prices, its the quality of the coins. Since i've been looking through auctions and paying more Attention to Hammered, i've not seen so mamy nice Chas I coinage in one place at the same time and i think the bidders think the same and also think how Long will it be before something like this come along again, hence you can Throw your books out of the wimdow and Run with the pack if you really want something

Its not the auction prices, its the quality of the coins. Since i've been looking through auctions and paying more Attention to Hammered, i've not seen so mamy nice Chas I coinage in one place at the same time and i think the bidders think the same and also think how Long will it be before something like this come along again, hence you can Throw your books out of the wimdow and Run with the pack if you really want something

It is true in part, but probably more important is the fact that the material hasn't been in the market for over half a century. Collectors like fresh material. e.g. the Briot halfcrown I wanted but didn't get was ex-Thorburn 225 (Soth 1918), Clarke-Thornhill 488 (Glens 1937) and Gantz 1305 (Glens 1941). Described as especially nice in 1918, and a beautiful example in 1937 & 1941 coupled with the first being underlined in both Spink and Bladwin's catalogues suggested it was worth buying. Unusually for the second issue, it was illustrated in the two Glens sales. The really nice round Bristol halfcrown (lot 53) which cost the buyer £7500!!! was ex Hamilton-Smith 1927 lot 318 and again illustrated. Bristol halfcrowns were rarely illustrated, so again a flag saying 'Buy Me' was waving. You are correct in saying the book has to go out of the window, but even so, by any standards today was brutal.

It was brutal Rob, it will only get worse as those hopeful buyers who won bugger all will be throwing all their Chips in tomorrow. I wanted to Take a Stab on the William and Mary Scottish 60 shilling, but when i was watching the auctioneer getting outpaced by the pre bidding i knew i stood no chance.

Anyone know what that went for?

think i gave that one a bid too if i remember correctly it went for something like £2600?

Oops, now to pay for lot 65... Fell in love with the damn thing- York halfcrown early variety with trimmed edges with a shear, big flan, few die breaks ..long time hole in my collection.

Well I got mine, I said I would be happy if I got it for twice estimate, and that's what I paid. Dam those Japs :angry: