British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just out of interest, does anyone know the hammer of 315 at StJames'?

Or maybe when the realised prices get released?

Or maybe when the realised prices get released?

Judging by the fact that their most recent catalogue was permanently marked as 'Unavailable' on their website you might be waiting some time, Stuart.

Edited by HistoricCoinage

I think that the spink catalogue is holding well. There's no pricing for any hammered above VF I think for good cause. Who knows what the market will pay in these upper registers..

I also think that the US market is big, but they focus on what they know best and are safe with- encapsulated milled. Not hammered.

I would like to see a new grading system for hammered.

It would be along the following lines.

ID'd but rough

OK

OK+

Nice

Nice+

Very nice

Very nice +

Acceptable to Richard

Acceptable to Rob

Ashmore quality.

Why I say this is because I've bought "as struck" hoard coins which have gone straight back.

A point system as used in banknote grading might be workable.(lose points for pin holes,creases/folds,bankers ink marks ETC)

ID'd but rough

OK

OK+

Nice

Nice+

Very nice

Very nice +

Acceptable to Richard

Acceptable to Rob

Ashmore quality.

Why I say this is because I've bought "as struck" hoard coins which have gone straight back.

A point system as used in banknote grading might be workable.(lose points for pin holes,creases/folds,bankers ink marks ETC)

But you'd always have problems with that, not just from people's subjective points of views but from the likes of the Tealby issues or Stephen's Civil War issues which could be one of the best for the issue wouldn't match up to a normally-struck Henry III or Edward I.

I've cracked out a noble from a US auction graded at MS 63, that was graded at good VF in theUK!!

I've cracked out a noble from a US auction graded at MS 63, that was graded at good VF in theUK!!

Big differences eh. Probably better to buy british coins such as those from British dealers/auction houses

There were a few fair/good prices @ Spink - the 2 Athelred I of Wessex pennies (I got the first) went for quite reasonable prices as did the Tournai groat. The Edward VI groat also looked cheap @ £420 (depends how 'bent' it was - couldn't tell from pics. Quickly gave up on the Durham House groat though - even the 'routine' Henry VIII Tower groats seemed to go for an awful lot.

ID'd but rough

OK

OK+

Nice

Nice+

Very nice

Very nice +

Acceptable to Richard

Acceptable to Rob

Ashmore quality.

:lol:

I threw a 1812 1/6d bank token out of the collection 6 months ago as it was good EF and I wanted an unc. The buyer put it into Goldbergs sale last night where it made $875 hammer graded as MS66. :blink: I have a selection of MS71s ;)

Edited by Rob

ID'd but rough

OK

OK+

Nice

Nice+

Very nice

Very nice +

Acceptable to Richard

Acceptable to Rob

Ashmore quality.

You should append 'Acceptable to Geoff' to the bottom of the list.

Edited by Rob

ID'd but rough

OK

OK+

Nice

Nice+

Very nice

Very nice +

Acceptable to Richard

Acceptable to Rob

Ashmore quality.

You should append 'Acceptable to Geoff' to the bottom of the list.

:lol:

Interesting discussion here, thanks guys !

I rekindled my interest in collecting around early Sept and saw the DNW auctions advertised soon after.

Put absetnee bids in on about 20 items and won only one.

I remember waking in the middle of the night and logging on to see how bidding was going, and being quite surpised at how high prices were compared to the estimates.

Anyway, got killed with the 20 pounds (approx 30 AUD) cost to ship out a single coin (a nice little George I sixpence).

Lesson learnt !

£20! Ouch. I don't remember Noble being quite so bad when I bought a coin from them, but that was a while back and postage prices have increased quite a bit since then. Hopefully your sixpence came tracked and insured for that price Garrett!

Photos? ;)

Looks like there are some interesting coins in the upcoming - Dec 4th - sale.

£20! Ouch. I don't remember Noble being quite so bad when I bought a coin from them, but that was a while back and postage prices have increased quite a bit since then. Hopefully your sixpence came tracked and insured for that price Garrett!

Photos? ;)

Hi Tom

The 20 pounds was for 'Carriage' according to the invoice, it was via tracked mail that required a signature.

I am not complaining, it was around what I was expecting, it just would have been nice to spread the cost around a few coins rather than one that only cost 55 pounds (+ commission). The estimate was 40-60 pounds. I put a lot of bids in at around estimates but this was my only successful one.

I don't have a camera to give a photo (something I plan to fix soonish) but it is just a nice little run of the mill SSC aVF sixpence to go with my VF SSC shilling. It was interesting to read up on the history of the South Seas company after I received the coin.

Yes, there is a Noble auction in late November. It will be the first one since my rekindled interest in collecting and am quite looking forward to seeing what is on offer. Have a look, maybe you will get a bargain or two !

Cheers

Garrett.

Looks like there are some interesting coins in the upcoming - Dec 4th - sale.

You are not wrong Jaggy !

I will probably manage to constrain myself this time but will be interesting to see what some of them go for.

My SINGLE purchase last time broke my bank! Hope they don't have any "must haves" for me - is that the final listing or just a partial of what will be on sale?

My SINGLE purchase last time broke my bank! Hope they don't have any "must haves" for me - is that the final listing or just a partial of what will be on sale?

I think it is still partial as we are over a month away.

I think it is still partial as we are over a month away.

I hope it's only a partial as I should be having a lot in there and there's no sign of it yet.