British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Has anyone had the new DNW catalogue?? a fairly decent collection on offer with some nice proof/pattern crowns and halfcrowns!!!! Unfortunately with it being coinex week I dread to think of some of the prices!!!!

I just viewed online. Some nice hammered halfcrowns in the Chesser lots, but (fortunately?) nothing in my line, so I get to save my pennies!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Has anyone had the new DNW catalogue?? a fairly decent collection on offer with some nice proof/pattern crowns and halfcrowns!!!! Unfortunately with it being coinex week I dread to think of some of the prices!!!!

And there was me thinking that everyone would be broke from their holidays and I might stand a chance at the one coin I'm interested in. :(

I have my eye on one but think it will far exceed what i'm prepared to pay. :(

There is one coin I am very interested in but the potential cost is somewhat off-putting.

I'm interested in a couple, but will only be successful if all of the other bidders suffer from collective amnesia and forget to bid.

The one I'm interested in the estimate is rather on the low side. If it only doubles high end I'll be as pleased as punch.

I fancy some of the proof crowns but they won't go cheap!!!

The good news from a DNW perspective is that the London Coin auction has relatively little that interests me.

Here's the problem to all prospective buyers. Multiply the DNW estimate by two as they underestimate, then multiply again by two because its a 50s/60s gentleman's collection - THEN multiply by two once more if those Petition Crown mob have their sights on it!

The one I'm interested in the estimate is rather on the low side. If it only doubles high end I'll be as pleased as punch.

Gary,

Auction House purposely set estimates ranges low, to stimulate bidding activity. Also, since "they" set the range, that also effects any reserve that is attached to any coin sale. Most Auction Companies only allow a reserve of 60% of the low estimate, so in effect you have no reserve at all, because most sellers wouldn't think of selling there coins for 60% of the low end of the starting range. Just a few of the tricks involved with auction sales!

Have bid on 3 items, but only about 105% of what I think they're worth. Will be amazed if I get any of them!

Yes, me behind my Laptop, i won't be bidding this time around, this type of sale has come a year to early for me. I will be Licking the Screen however at 1 or 2 bits that i liked. Good luck to those who are bidding

Edited by azda

I have bid on just three lots. One of them is a 'must have' and I have bid accordingly. Another is a 'I would love to have that' but is probably way above my price level. So I have bid at the low estimate just in case I get lucky. The third is nice but not key to my collection and I have also bid accordingly.

I won a coin in the Lockdales on Sunday - it was my first play with the saleroom. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Great way to spend a Sunday morning. I would have won one of those lovely E7 pennies too, but fluffed up the timing - you really do have to be quick if your lots are one after the other.

I have seen the DNW stuff, and there's plenty I like, but they're not on the saleroom are they? I'll have to learn another system.

They do their own live bidding on their site you have to register in the morning!!

Have I just broken the DNW site? That would be really embarassing!

I'd be really grateful if someone could check it's OK from their end.

Have I just broken the DNW site? That would be really embarassing!

I'd be really grateful if someone could check it's OK from their end.

Works fine for me. Are you still experiencing issues?

Thanks for checking Clive!

It is back now. It was displaying a load of PHP nonsense for a while there. I'm 60% sure it was their end....!

It is back now. It was displaying a load of PHP nonsense for a while there. I'm 60% sure it was their end....!

Most likely an issue with their server. I'm glad it's back up, ready for tomorrow. B)

Yes, I'm just narrowing down my "cabinet", having managed to put about £150k's worth into it from the Chesser collection. Unless someone comes into my shop tonight and spends a fortune, I'll be narrowing it down to about £200 !

All good fun. Much more fun than eBay, I have to say.

Yes, I'm just narrowing down my "cabinet", having managed to put about £150k's worth into it from the Chesser collection.

I know that feeling all too well! :rolleyes:

If you would like to break it again about mid afternoon tomorrow I will be forever in your debt :ph34r: