British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Ako26

Where To Sell Old Coins

Hi there any advice would be appreciated!

I was wondering were i could sell some old uk coins and I have a few old foreign coins from Canada,USA,morocco,Argentina

Is there somewhere on the web to either sell or get valued other than ebay?

Thankyou

If you posted pictures here we could give you some advice - it all depends on condition above all else, and then on rarity and popularity. Perhaps put up a few pictures of your best pieces.

Hi there any advice would be appreciated!

I was wondering were i could sell some old uk coins and I have a few old foreign coins from Canada,USA,morocco,Argentina

Is there somewhere on the web to either sell or get valued other than ebay?

Thankyou

To be honest with you, unless you've got some class pieces, or rarities, then eBay is likely to be your best bet!

The hard bit is knowing the psychology and mechanics of the eBay process, so you don't end up giving your stuff away, but that is a book in itself, and one that every member on here would read if it indeed existed!

As Peckris has pointed out, a few pictures of what you consider to be your better coins would be a good starting point! Not forgetting that, if you can't take a good quality picture, then you may as well forget eBay...quality pictures secure the best bids every time! ;)

Hi Ako. Yes, there are other sites where you can sell. For example Delcampe However, although it can be annoying ebay does have probably the largest potential number of buyers, particularly if you are prepared to post abroad.

As the other guys have said, it rather depends on what you have. Certainly the foreign coins are likely to fetch better prices on a site with good international coverage. But if they are just coins in circulated condition picked up from holidays abroad they probably won't fetch much wherever you list them!

I did have some success (on ebay) listing a few coins at a time. One was half a dozen old coins going back to early Victorian, another I called 'interesting' and included a very small Swiss cent, a large (worn) cartwheel twopence and a few multi-sided coins. I listed them as suitable for kids or as a 'starter' set and both lots made a few quid. I just put them to auction format and let people decide what they were worth.

But if you have better grade coins and know what price they would make a fixed price 'buy it now' style would probably be better. But without knowing what sort of thing you have it's difficult to be specific. As said before, what you have will determine the best place to sell and how.

American coins are quite collectible, and certain date/mintmark varieties are worth quite a bit even in terrible condition.

Depending on the type, there are also micro-varieties (Large cents and Morgan dollars are the two with the most micro-variety collectors) and certain issues are extremely grade dependent with a BU example going for $700+ but a worn example of the exact same date/mintmark selling for melt (Barber coins and Standing Liberty Quarters).

Post some dates/mintmarks and pictures and we can help you.