British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
custard1966

I want one of these

That looks like a really nice coin. Are you going to bid?

That has to be one of, if not the best example avaliable to commerce. The catalogue value should not apply in this case. I reckon it will make around £4500. Before this the best one I saw was UNC Lustre.

That looks like a really nice coin. Are you going to bid?

I could actually get the funds together, but to be honest I've set myself a limit of £500 per coin for now. I find it hard to justify spending more that than when I think of what else I could do with the money.

In time that may change, when I need only a few very rare bits & pieces or when prices have increased dramatically.

I was speaking to a dealer only yesterday who was offered a BU example for £2200 which is why I think this one's a bit steep.

Its very nice... :)

He offered me that, and I thought he'd wait until I got back to him before he re-listed it!

I think I've seen at least three mint state 1869s up for sale in the past year -- this one, the one Dragonbrit had for sale, and one at a major auction in California. Anyone see any others?

Guess why he's ended the auction ;)

It shall be mine, but not for long as I've already sold it!

Interesting info Custard, in fact if you have other info about BU 1869's, like prices realised etc etc I'd be glad to hear, because it will be good to tell my buyer.

Guess why he's ended the auction ;)

It shall be mine, but not for long as I've already sold it!

Interesting info Custard, in fact if you have other info about BU 1869's, like prices realised etc etc I'd be glad to hear, because it will be good to tell my buyer.

Congratulations Chris,

Will you at least get to hold it before you pass it on ?

I have heard of two or three BUs though one of those was just a dealer remembering the late sixties

The recent one was the one mentioned above. I think the coin had been bought in the states by a dealer who regularly ships material to and fro across the pond and offered it to the dealer I spoke to.

Pity he didn't buy - we may never know what happened to it.

I'll ask next time I see him though.

Yes, I should have it in my mits for a short while. Perhaps short enough to take a picture of if I have my camera to hand!

Thanks for the info, I know they are like rocking horse droppings in BU, even in EF!

Rocking horse droppings - what a wonderful phrase :D

Must of been one of the phrases I picked up from living the first 25 years of my live in or around London!

Nice coin Chris! Well done! :D