British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
tracyaw

Die Errors

I know die errors are only of interest to some collectors and do not merit a premium, but I just found these and thought they were rather cute, especially the pimple on the 1917 :)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/rebelesque/IMG_0667.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/rebelesque/1917_dot.jpg

• hiya......possibly the only reason most here may look at modern decimal coinage, is to see this sort of error. there have been a few threads here showing coins with all sorts of errors, most of which show her maj with warts and all sorts.

check out your change, its quite surprising the poor quality of minting.

ski

I know die errors are only of interest to some collectors and do not merit a premium, but I just found these and thought they were rather cute, especially the pimple on the 1917 :)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/rebelesque/IMG_0667.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/rebelesque/1917_dot.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I so hate Photobucket : go there, look, click once, look. Goback. Goback. Goback. Goback. Goback. Goback.

Why do they make it so difficult to just return to where you came from? It's the only website in the world where getting out is so much harder than getting in.

Hi Peck......please dont ask what im doing different as i dont know, but 1 goback gets me right back here.

ski

Ah, yes I collect them, but it is only recently I got into pre-decimal pennies so these two are the only ones I have come across on pre-decimal pennies. I Usually collect hammered coins and early milled. I have a couple of 20ps that have terrible die cracks, or strike errors, one has the Queen's face with what looks like a whirlpool, and one that looks like arabic writing scrawled down the Bust image.

Sorry Peckris. I don't Photobucket either, after uploading a pic, I can never find them, but it's free and accepts large mbs

Hi Peck......please dont ask what im doing different as i dont know, but 1 goback gets me right back here.

ski

That's REALLY weird. The first time I clicked on one of those links I was taken to the Photobucket site itself and watched paint dry while it finally decided to load the image. Then I clicked Goback and returned here. When I clicked the link a second time, I instantly got just the jpeg image on its own, and nothing else - no Photobucket. How is that even possible?

ski

That's REALLY weird. The first time I clicked on one of those links I was taken to the Photobucket site itself and watched paint dry while it finally decided to load the image. Then I clicked Goback and returned here. When I clicked the link a second time, I instantly got just the jpeg image on its own, and nothing else - no Photobucket. How is that even possible?

At a guess, I'd say from the temp files on your PC.

ski

I tried it a few times, using different browsers and saw the same behaviour. The first access modifies the url to start "s344.photobucket....." which loads the full Photobucket page, whereas subsequent accesses just show the actual jpeg. Not sure what controls this behaviour, whether it's cookie based or just server randomness, but it's odd for sure.

ive never been taken to the photobucket site.........when i click on the link it goes straight to coin pic and i can click back and it returns straight here.......ive no photobucket account and have never visited their site so wont have any cookies stored for them.

ski

ive never been taken to the photobucket site.........when i click on the link it goes straight to coin pic and i can click back and it returns straight here.......ive no photobucket account and have never visited their site so wont have any cookies stored for them.

ski

It seems that for those affected, it's caused by the fairly recent change made by PhotoBucket to their links (to include a url=...). However, for those with PhotoBucket accounts you can turn off this behaviour. Log in to PhotoBucket, choose "User Settings" then "Albums" and untick "Link back to albums" and "Save". This change reverts the image links back to how the used to be.

Try Tinypic or Imgur for photo hosting, no registration or anything required and you can just get the picture itself without any album details if you like.

Thanks generic Lad. Shall give tinypic a whirl.

ski

It seems that for those affected, it's caused by the fairly recent change made by PhotoBucket to their links (to include a url=...). However, for those with PhotoBucket accounts you can turn off this behaviour. Log in to PhotoBucket, choose "User Settings" then "Albums" and untick "Link back to albums" and "Save". This change reverts the image links back to how the used to be.

I set up a Photobucket account a long time ago, and used it once - I was so incensed by the general user-unfriendliness that I stopped then and there. I doubt if their cookie has even survived my occasional cookie purge. So I don't think that's the reason.

Thanks generic Lad. Shall give tinypic a whirl.

Unfortunately, your links (in another thread) took me to the host site, whereas Nick's embedding of images seems to be the answer. We need a tutorial in how to do that!