British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dannymik

"New pence"...does it have any Value?

Guest dannymik

:unsure: hey people jus stumbled across a BBC programme just now in which i was informed that the two penny peices that have "New Pence" written on the back have substantial value. does this apply to any two pence peice that says "new pence" on it or is it just specific years etc. any info would be most appreciated.

cheers

dannymik

Guest hero

I think I saw the programme which your talking about. I also just found out that I have a two penny piece labelled 'new pence' on the side where there is the picture of the tail engraved. I was just wondeing if you could write back telling me what the date on the top left hand corner on the side on which the head is engraved on yours reads. If you missed what the man on the programme said, he said it was around about £400.00.

Buggar, have they gone and repeated that bloody programme?

Here we go again with the 20 questions a day about peoples 2p's!!!

See here, i covered it a month or so ago:

http://www.predecimal.com/newpence.htm

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest darkmast2

Yeah I seen that programme, it was on BBC1 today at 12 o'clock. It was called trading treasures and they mentioned that there are certain 2p pieces out there that are quite valuable.

Guest dannymik

hey people i found out since posting first msg that the only rare ones are dated 1983, and out of an old copper collection with roughly about 100 two pence peices i found none dated 1983. does anybody know why 1983? is there any particular reason?

cheers

Dannymik

Guest darkmast2

I'm led to believe it's because that was the last time they were made and the ones in that year with the "New Pence" on them were made for sets rather than general circulation.

Check here for the information about it : http://www.predecimal.com/newpence.htm

Absolutely right Darkmast,

Wouldn't it be great if people looked around the site first before asking questions. I get daily emails about the bloody 2 pees, and all the answers have been on the site since June!

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

It always makes me laugh how people always end up thinking the following things;

The 1997 'Elizabeth with necklace' £2 is rare...false!

The 'new pence' reversed 2p is rare...wrong! unless it's 1983 of course because new pence was dropped in favour of 'two pence' in 1982, all 1982 and later are 'two pence'...hence why 1983 is rare, as the wrong reverse was used.

How many people upon discovering that the 1933 penny is extremely rare, jump up and say...oh i've seen one of those/i've got one at home! (if i had a 1933 penny for everytime i heard that i would have had every existing example 10 times over.)

Funny how when it comes to the real scarce coins, no-one's got a clue about em.

1988 £1 coins, 1992 10p piece large edge milling variety with L, I and A of Elizabeth pointing AT the dots and the 1 in '10' on the reverse pointing AT the dots. Now these coins are truely scarce.

Sylvester.

When i say 'large edge milling' i mean the edge is flat, rather than thin and curved...and yes i am talking about the small 10p not the old large ones.

Sylvester.

Thanks Sylvester, I remember noticing a difference in the 10p's in 1992 and remember how pleased I was that I had done so. They were common then, but you're right they are scarcer now.

I always wondered how vending machines coped with 2 completely different 10p's, and the 5p's also have rounded or sharp edges too don't they.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Yes as far as i know the 5p's have two different types of milling, in 1992 the milling on the 10p changed from wirey milling to flat milling, likewise the 5p changed at about the same time i believe. But i've yet to come across a scarce example of a 5p piece.

Other coins worth looking out for; although none are rare they might be out there in circulation, (proof and uncirculated set escapees), including 1998 and 1999 £1 coins, 1986 20p's, anything 1972, (other than the crowns of course), two pences of the following dates, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1983 (especially so!), and 1984. Five pences i believe 1993 were not issued for circulation? and of course pre 1997 £2 coins, which still can be found circulating but much more rarely than they were some years ago due to being supreceded by the new bimetallic £2 coin.

Sylvester.

Guest darkmast2

You completley lost me after "Yes as far as i know the 5p's have two different types of milling" :D

Gonna have to do some reading up on these things :)

Best way to understand what i'm on about is to get a pile of 10p's and stack them and then look at the edges, you'll see a difference. There are two different milling types (you can only tell from the edge of the coin).

The first type (early type) the coins actually look thinner and this is because the milling kind of curves away from the centre of the edge. Making the edge of the coin look rounded. The edges look blunt and rounded as if they've been sanded off.

The second type (later type) has flat straight across milling and these look broader. These have sharper more clearly defined edges.

WARNING; It isn't alway easy to tell them, apart.

All of the thinner type are dated 1992, the fatter type date 1992-onwards, so take a 2000 one and compare it it a 1992 thin variety you'll see what i mean.

Both the thin and broad milled varieties of 1992 are common. It's when you get into die varieties that it gets more complicated and the scarce (even rare?) varities crop up.

I'll explain those after you've figure out the milling!

Sylvester.

Guest Emperor Oli

Back to the 1933 penny question, well it was more a statement but anyway..

I read a while ago that the 1933 pennies are extremely rare; this compelled me to look in my Spink Coin Catalogue to find out its value. Annoyingly, it only said "Extremely Rare" - like that helps. I know about 6 or 7 were minted and given to some Yorkshire churches and the University of London but I also read that some were stolen. Does anyone have any more information on this i.e were they recovered?

Oli,

I seem to remember reading that they were all recovered and are accounted for. I think when they rarely come up for sale that the last one sold for GBP30,000 or something like that.

That kind of legendary coin though, you can expect it to increase in value by thousands of pounds year on year.

Chris

www.predecimal.com