British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Colin88

Old Time Dealers-Reminising

Yes brings back memories...and who remembers......

Clive Dennett

Clive Dennett's website has just gone. Not sure how long they last until they need to be renewed, but I'm guessing it (and therefore he) has not been active for a couple of years now.

I only know a few of these guys by name. I started (comparatively) late. Some of my first purchases were from Bob Ilsley at Dolphin Coins (in the 'Double Sovereign') days. I'd quite like to pay some of those prices now ...

:P

" carla.smythick " asked about Dave Bark , sorry regret not heard about

him for perhaps 20 plus years , perhaps someone else knows more , as you

are trying to get in touch...

Mainly coin dealers are Gents apart from the shillers.

You only deal with bad apples once.

When at the Midland I always head for my favourite dealer 1st and we greet with a handshake.

Buy them a cup of tea / sarnie.

Does anyone remember Carole Towler? She use to advertise in the 1960''s and 70's. I bought quite a few coins off of her, but haven't heard from her for a while. Is she still in business?

anyone remember peter butterworth from knutsford?

Forgot Peter Wallwork.....i bought some cracking Newark pieces off him many years ago.....sadly sold last year.

Regarding R&L Coins of Blackpool:

I found this article in an August 1967 copy of Coin Monthly I have.

The past is another country…..

Page two to follow

post-8388-0-39196300-1407056642_thumb.jp

Regarding R&L Coins of Blackpool:

I found this article in an August 1967 copy of Coin Monthly I have.

The past is another country…..

Page two to follow

attachicon.gifCM-1967.jpeg

R&L were a staple for novice collectors in the 60s, and were still around when I worked in Blackpool in 1979 when I bought some coins off them many of which I still have. I believe they still exist, but now under the Chard name not R&L, and only deal in gold? Yes ... http://www.chards.co.uk/

Up in the sticks -- Corbet & Hunter (Newcastle). Now just Corbets and no Hunter?? I used to buy all my early ('50s) hammered and Saxon from them. I called in a couple of years ago but the stock didn't seem the same range.

Guest donald king

I was a settlements clerk at Johnson Matthey Bankers in 1980-81.  Mike Millward of Stewart Ward Coins was an eccentric character; we bought & sold from him every week.  If he phoned us first every morning to agree the balance of the settlements due, he would simply say, 'Helloooo... oooow?' in a weird voice.  We always knew it was him.  As for Harvey Michael Ross, who had been in a rare stamps fraud before he got involved in gold, our dealers were told that we couldn't have anything to do with him, and that his attempt to open an account with JMB had failed.  Nevertheless, in settlements we noticed that some dealers might have booked a coin deal with Stewart Ward or another firm, and then absent-mindedly written underneath, 'For Harvey Michael Ross.'  The man who collected consignments of coins from us (for a respectable firm) had been a spiv during and after the war.  He wore a long brown overcoat and a brown trilby - his name was, I think, Laurie.  (The only firm that seemed a straightforward and honest lot were Baird & Co.)

Talking of old dealers has anyone heard of  Alan Laycock from Yorkshire i think ?

A mate of mine in Spain asked me about him a couple of days ago as he had read a book by him.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

On 5/7/2014 at 7:39 PM, RLC35 said:

Does anyone remember Carole Towler? She use to advertise in the 1960''s and 70's. I bought quite a few coins off of her, but haven't heard from her for a while. Is she still in business?

Here's an ad for her Bob - from "Coin Monthly" June 1969:-

AF1QipPhcEAvmvyTIlWWD5XGSAwtUXaIHMYsT8qW

• Like 1

Naughty Nigel (Nigel Goldman) i used to see all the time in Spain before i had an interest in coins ,i am sure he had a 1933 penny years ago.

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Here's an ad for her Bob - from "Coin Monthly" June 1969:-

AF1QipPhcEAvmvyTIlWWD5XGSAwtUXaIHMYsT8qW

Mike, The file wasn't attached...just the minus sign above. It is a small world isn't?

17 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Mike, The file wasn't attached...just the minus sign above. It is a small world isn't?

I'll try again, Bob.

towler 2.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Got it, Thanks Mike. I remember one time, she shut down her business, long enough to have her baby! That child would have to be around 60 today! LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Got it, Thanks Mike. I remember one time, she shut down her business, long enough to have her baby! That child would have to be around 60 today! LOL...

Incredible how quickly time goes by, Bob.

Mike I just noticed this was from the "Coin Monthly" ...that was not the media I used to get her ads from, it was a tabloid that had two names..Antiques and Trader, or something like that. It was also earlier about 1960-63.

4 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Mike I just noticed this was from the "Coin Monthly" ...that was not the media I used to get her ads from, it was a tabloid that had two names..Antiques and Trader, or something like that. It was also earlier about 1960-63.

Exchange and Mart?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Naughty Nigel (Nigel Goldman) i used to see all the time in Spain before i had an interest in coins ,i am sure he had a 1933 penny years ago.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes he bought a 1933 penny, specimen 7 in 1980 and sold it in ~1982

1933.1 rev.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Yes he bought a 1933 penny, specimen 7 in 1980 and sold it in ~1982

1933.1 rev.jpg

That one looks as though it has been in circulation.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Exchange and Mart?

Yes, Michael, that is it. I had a subscription to it sent to me in the USA. Thanks. I was about 24 at the time, I am 82 now! LOL...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I'll try again, Bob.

towler 2.jpg

Hmm. Is it just me, or can anyone else see an Owl and a (pussy) Cat in her name? I did have to use some oil, but perhaps you can just make out the Cat sitting on the Owl's head there. However, I haven't yet been able to see the beautiful pea green boat.. ;)

• Like 2

I picked up a couple of old dealers price lists in a book shop recently . one is from Seaby's ,but the other is from Jacobs' numismatic store in Brondesbury road, london . The dealer is Charles E Jacobs , does anybody know what became of them .The price list is from 1938 , so I don't even know if they outlasted the war .