British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Colin88

Old Time Dealers-Reminising

coin monthly adverts...such delight ...I got a few nice coins if you had fast fingers.

I went to a coin fair in Norwich and ended up with a flintlock pistol...that took some explaining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I notice Richard Lubbok mentioned a couple of times on here and just read the book .

Not much about coins and more about what else he was up to ,although often mentions him going to shows and having a shop in London.

Good book and is often funny ,although had the down times such as being sent down.

Edited by PWA 1967

On 5/7/2014 at 7:39 PM, RLC35 said:

Does anyone remember Carole Towler? She use to advertise in the 1960''s and 70's. I bought quite a few coins off of her, but haven't heard from her for a while. Is she still in business?

Hi Bob,

I remember we discussed Carole Towler once before.

Whilst casually looking through some old Coin Monthly magazines, I spotted an article about her in the February 1969 edition, which includes two photos of her - one with her husband. Thought you might possibly be interested. 

She looks about 30ish there, so she'd no doubt be in her 80's now. Anyway here is the article, with separate close ups of the the pics:-

Carole Towler 1.jpg

carole towler 2.jpg

carole towler 3.jpg

carole towler 4.jpg

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Hi Bob,

I remember we discussed Carole Towler once before.

Whilst casually looking through some old Coin Monthly magazines, I spotted an article about her in the February 1969 edition, which includes two photos of her - one with her husband. Thought you might possibly be interested. 

She looks about 30ish there, so she'd no doubt be in her 80's now. Anyway here is the article, with separate close ups of the the pics:-

Carole Towler 1.jpg

Looking not 100% unlike Emma Peel in that picture..

• Like 1

Wow! I use to correspond with her a lot in days gone by. I never did know what she looked like. Thanks for the article and the picture. She is a very attractive young woman, in the picture.

14 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Wow! I use to correspond with her a lot in days gone by. I never did know what she looked like. Thanks for the article and the picture. She is a very attractive young woman, in the picture.

Add to CDILTF list lol

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

Add to CDILTF list lol

I'm pretty sure I've worked out what ILTF stands for! But CD ...?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'm pretty sure I've worked out what ILTF stands for! But CD ...?

Coin Dealer….

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/30/2013 at 9:23 PM, bagerap said:

I remember dealing with Malcolm Ellis in the 60s, and he's still going I believe.

Not any more unfortunately. Following a robbery last year, he's decided to throw in the towel and retire. Massive great shame but I wish him well.

Screenshot from Coin News March 2023:-

malcolm ellis.PNG

• Sad 3

On 7/30/2013 at 3:41 PM, Peckris said:

None of you has mentioned those great stalwarts of 60s and 70s Coin Monthly - R&L Coins of Blackpool. 

Is that the same outfit as Chards?

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

Is that the same outfit as Chards?

It is indeed - and they're still functioning, though it seems to be mostly gold these days, a long long way from the 'good old days' of R&L! (whose Blackpool shop I actually went to in  the late 70s and bought a few things from...)

7 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

It is indeed - and they're still functioning, though it seems to be mostly gold these days, a long long way from the 'good old days' of R&L! (whose Blackpool shop I actually went to in  the late 70s and bought a few things from...)

I wondered about that - Lawrence Chard is fairly active on social media these days, which is where I heard of Chards from.  You can see him pop up in The Silver Forum from time to time and they put out a bit of content on YT.

6 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I wondered about that - Lawrence Chard is fairly active on social media these days, which is where I heard of Chards from.  You can see him pop up in The Silver Forum from time to time and they put out a bit of content on YT.

Is he the original L or perhaps the son of...?

Just now, Peckris 2 said:

Is he the original L or perhaps the son of...?

Original - he's quite old and semi-retired now.

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Original - he's quite old and semi-retired now.

Wow - I remember R&L from when I was a schoolkid collector in the late 60s!

4 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Wow - I remember R&L from when I was a schoolkid collector in the late 60s!

That dates you.  I'm no spring chicken and there are quite a few folks on this board who are substantially older than I am.

Folks who remember the 1960s, which apparently means that you didn't really participate in them.