British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Colin88

Old Time Dealers-Reminising

35 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Fantastic, a piece of history signed by a legend. Nice one Michael.

Still digging, still finding….

I've found this, from ten or so years later.

Why is "update" in in inverted commas? Reads like some kind of secret code. 

Noting I'd lost out on choices to people who had 'telephoned'? Well, the past is a foreign country….

Cooke2.jpeg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

My late wife phoned Colin about a Peck....he put her in touch so when I appeared from London one day I was greeted by a 2nd edition with dust jacket.

Blimey really fond memories.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Still digging, still finding….

I've found this, from ten or so years later.

Why is "update" in in inverted commas? Reads like some kind of secret code. 

Noting I'd lost out on choices to people who had 'telephoned'? Well, the past is a foreign country….

Cooke2.jpeg

Maybe he was searching for a different word, couldn't find one, and so used a relatively modern word like "update", putting it in quotation marks to indicate it would do, but wasn't his first choice. Something like that anyway.  

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Maybe he was searching for a different word, couldn't find one, and so used a relatively modern word like "update", putting it in quotation marks to indicate it would do, but wasn't his first choice. Something like that anyway.  

Colin's "update" - was a handwritten list of each item number that had been sold off the list which he then photocopied on his fax machine. He would send this to anyone that was unlucky when they phoned up for an item. Inverted commas to emphasise it was his special touch of customer service. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NRP said:

Colin's "update" - was a handwritten list of each item number that had been sold off the list which he then photocopied on his fax machine. He would send this to anyone that was unlucky when they phoned up for an item. Inverted commas to emphasise it was his special touch of customer service. 

A gent, and always a pleasure to do business with.

Another "Know your dealer", this time from Coin Monthly August 1969:-

Keith Fletcher.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

A gent, and always a pleasure to do business with.

Yes. His prices were fair with occasional bargains. I did have to return a couple of items to him and he never quibbled and always sent a prompt refund.

Welsh....nicely overgraded....and still going.

• Haha 2

Speaking of Welsh .. what happened to John Welsh ... ‘Choice BU’  that never was in my experience 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Colin88 said:

Speaking of Welsh .. what happened to John Welsh ... ‘Choice BU’  that never was in my experience 

Wonder how he grades a genuine BU coin ?

Possably passes it on to another dealer

1 hour ago, Colin88 said:

nail on head.

Peckchris may add to this.😎

His ad would appear every month and I don't recall him ever describing anything he offered for sale as less than 'Choice BU'.

As Peter says; 'nail on head' Colin.

52 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

His ad would appear every month and I don't recall him ever describing anything he offered for sale as less than 'Choice BU'.

As Peter says; 'nail on head' Colin.

It looks a little strange when all a dealers stock grades at BU

Edited by copper123

On 6/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Rob said:

There you go. Can anyone put a definitive date to this issue? 

img319.jpg

Funny thing is I have a couple of old lists and some prices of coins he sold are cheaper now than when he sold them 40 years ago - they really were a dreadfull "Investment" not in all cases obviously one of the worst performers is a 1895 YH farthing in general the older and rarer the better the investment they were.

The thing is that John Minshull was the market maker in Farthings at the time .. and created the whole buzz around them ..much in the same way ( but to a lesser extent ) as Chris Rudd is with Celtic.

Also there were so many more Farthing ... and  Penny collectors then there are now... with numbers dwindling.

I seem to remember that Richard Lobel bought thousands of 1895 farthings or was it 1896 that were found in a vault or a bank somewhere ? 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, Michael-Roo said:

I've found a couple.

Don't know about you but I always thought his EXCESSIVE USE OF CAPS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!! made for something of an exhausting read beyond the first page or two.

IMG_20190618_163836.jpg

Love this bit in the index - "weather forecast" page 32 !  

On 20 June 2019 at 9:44 AM, Peter said:

nail on head.

Peckchris may add to this.😎

Nail now firmly hammered home. ;)

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Here it is.

Interviewing a Rose farthing? That must've been some powerful stuff they were puffing on at the FS offices back in the 1980s…...

P.32.jpeg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder if this was one of the last lists before he moved to the states to work for a gradeing house  the "sale " would be a sensable thing to get in a few bob before the move.

I thing if hes still alive he would be around 90-95 years old now

40 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Here it is.

Interviewing a Rose farthing? That must've been some powerful stuff they were puffing on at the FS offices back in the 1980s…...

P.32.jpeg

23rd year in farthings, and it's dated 1988, so that means John Minshull started in 1965.

I remember buying a VGVF from him once. Never seen that grade again!

• Like 1

I thought he died many years ago ? 

Nice guy I recall , always had time to talk .. unlike the me-expert-you-dickhead attitude of the Baldwin’s and Seabys of the time.

Whilst I’m on that subject I remember Bob Isley always had the time to talk to me at coin fairs  even though at the time I had very little money and he was a mega dealer .. Baldwin’s were dreadful in that respect , so high and mighty .. who was the guy who worked for them that always had a crumpled cream suit and resembled a cross between Charles I and Catweazel ?

John always smoked those little cigars the ones that lasted about 10 minutes and sold for a couple of pounds in a five pack (and remember 1980's prices)

12 minutes ago, Colin88 said:

Nice guy I recall , always had time to talk .. unlike the me-expert-you-dickhead attitude of the Baldwin’s and Seabys of the time.

Whilst I’m on that subject I remember Bob Isley always had the time to talk to me at coin fairs  even though at the time I had very little money and he was a mega dealer .. Baldwin’s were dreadful in that respect , so high and mighty .. who was the guy who worked for them that always had a crumpled cream suit and resembled a cross between Charles I and Catweazel ?

Sounds like John evans from jethro tull

john.jpeg

Edited by copper123

4 hours ago, Colin88 said:

Sounds like Michael Sharp. I never spoke to him but that was what he looked like! He died several years ago.

59 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Sounds like Michael Sharp. I never spoke to him but that was what he looked like! He died several years ago.

Head chopped off , I presume

• Haha 1