British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Colin88

Old Time Dealers-Reminising

3 hours ago, mick1271 said:

I picked up a couple of old dealers price lists in a book shop recently . one is from Seaby's ,but the other is from Jacobs' numismatic store in Brondesbury road, london . The dealer is Charles E Jacobs , does anybody know what became of them .The price list is from 1938 , so I don't even know if they outlasted the war .

That really is going back a hell of a long way, Mick. Virtually outside of living memory.

9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That really is going back a hell of a long way, Mick. Virtually outside of living memory.

It was just a thought .Didn't know whether they where in business for a long time ,or were taken over by someone else . Still interesting to know that you could pick up a 1932 crown in FDC for 30 shillings .Some things for sale that I didn't even know existed , like a 1936 Edward VIII crown with George V head on it for £1/15/-

16 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

It was just a thought .Didn't know whether they where in business for a long time ,or were taken over by someone else . Still interesting to know that you could pick up a 1932 crown in FDC for 30 shillings .Some things for sale that I didn't even know existed , like a 1936 Edward VIII crown with George V head on it for £1/15/-

Wow, wonder what one of them would fetch today :o

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Wow, wonder what one of them would fetch today :o

I assume that was just a normal 1936 crown. George V died on 20th January, so the vast majority of coins dated 1936 will technically be Ed.8 even though they used the G5 effigy. If a 1932 crown in FDC is £1/10/-, then 5 shillings more for a 1936 is neither here nor there.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

I assume that was just a normal 1936 crown. George V died on 20th January, so the vast majority of coins dated 1936 will technically be Ed.8 even though they used the G5 effigy. If a 1932 crown in FDC is £1/10/-, then 5 shillings more for a 1936 is neither here nor there.

No idea eitherway. Not my speciality. 

Sounded good though.

48 minutes ago, Rob said:

I forgot that the Wreath crowns carried on till 1936 .Doesn;t sound as special now .

• Haha 1

Hi folks,

I stumbled across this site by chance and seeing some of the names posted here felt I was duty bound to add my six penny worth!

Back in the late 1960's my Father (a coin collector) befriended a chap in Palmerston Road in Boscombe, Bournemouth. His name was George Blackwell and he

had a shop called 'The Coin Cabinet'. Well, over the next few years their friendship grew and Dad would join George on Sunday morning trips up to Cutler Street which is off Petticoat Lane in

the east end of London with me in tow! I couldn't believe some of the sites I saw, quite scruffy attired men with pockets crammed with coins and a bunch of notes that they had a job to get

their hands around! George would buy large amounts from all manner of folk to stock his shop until the next visit! Later, George asked my Father if he would like to help him at the coin fairs

which George attended, around 4 - 5 times a year. Dad jumped at this and George said bring your son if you want! I was 14 when we went to our 1st fair at the 'Rougemont Hotel' opposite

Exeter Central railway station which I think was a 2 or 3 day affair. This was 1968 and for a lad of that age who'd never stayed in a hotel it was like another world with all the luxury rooms

and food you could only dream of eating! 

After this came the Midland Hotel in Birmingham, the Piccadilly in Manchester, the Cumberland in Marble Arch and the Imperial in Blackpool which George couldn't attend due to

ill health but insisted Dad and I go with the stand and it was a total success. I remember getting into a lift at the Cumberland and Mary Quant the fashion designer was there with I assume,

her husband! At the Cumberland George did some business with a couple of Brothers (millionaires!) whose surname was Hearn, one of them  I recall was Bernard but can't remember the

other?! 

George's Wife Ada always came to the fairs with us, she was a lovely lady and added attraction to the stand! Sadly George did not enjoy good health in the early 70's and passed

on I think around 1974. I have kept in touch with Ada from all those many years ago until her passing in 2015 aged 90.

I remember talking to Lawrence from R & L coins at one of the fairs, he would be a few years older than me I think?!

Other names that spring to mind:-

Mike Harrison Leeds coin centre

Ava Hardy from London

Fred Jeffries, I remember going to his house in Melksham, Wiltshire, with Dad to collect some coins he'd found for him.

Peter Ireland from Blackpool

Jeff Cook, who I think put George onto the Cutler Street Sunday gatherings! A footnote to Jeff, I remember going to visit him in Winchester prison with my Dad in the early 70's, he was serving I think, 21 months for hitting a Policeman after drowning his sorrows due to marital problems! Nowadays you'd probably get a warning?!! How times have changed!

Hope this may be of interest to some of you and perhaps jog a few memories!?

All the very best

Terry

• Like 4

Terry, thanks very much for that really interesting account. 

Hi Mike,

You're welcome! I'm really hoping that some from that time will still be around but I'm 65 now so not many I would imagine?!

Where's it all gone?!

Cheers

Terry

Hi Mike,

Just noticed you are interested in heritage railways!

I was a volunteer on the Talyllyn Railway in Wales for 45 years and a Driver for 29 of those!

First volunteered in 1971 and finished in 2016

Cheers again,

Terry

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Coin Cabinet said:

Hi Mike,

You're welcome! I'm really hoping that some from that time will still be around but I'm 65 now so not many I would imagine?!

Where's it all gone?!

Cheers

Terry

Don't know, Terry. Time goes so fast. Those that were dealers when you were a kid will now be retired or passed away. 

9 minutes ago, The Coin Cabinet said:

Hi Mike,

Just noticed you are interested in heritage railways!

I was a volunteer on the Talyllyn Railway in Wales for 45 years and a Driver for 29 of those!

First volunteered in 1971 and finished in 2016

Cheers again,

Terry

Fantastic. I have volunteered on the Great Central, which isn't too far away from where I live - mostly for track maintenance. Lot of work going on there at the moment as they try and combine the Leicester to Loughborough end with the Loughborough to Nottingham end. Much of the work is done, but still a fair bit to do. Massive shame that the old Nottingham Victoria station isn't still around. What a job could have been made in restoring that.

45 years and 29 a driver is amazing. I stand and applaud that achievement. Well done that man !     

There's a train simulator series on You Tube - very realistic! - which clearly demonstrates that train drivers regulate their trains according to minute detail every few hundred yards or even less. A driver that is doing even 1mph over the limit would be reported if he/she hadn't braked enough in time. It's quite enlightening!!

• Like 1

Thank you!

I have done track work in the Winter when the trains aren't running and I appreciate the graft that goes into that side of things so that us loco men can run our trains!

I have moved on to narrow boating now and am on the Grand Union at Hemel Hempstead going down to London and over to Bristol which will take most of the Summer.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

Just now, The Coin Cabinet said:

Thanks for that Peckris 2, I'll take a look.

Terry

This is the Edinburgh to Kings Cross journey - over 4 hours long!

• Like 1

I did Mule train with a nappy on my head.

If you don't get it you will be too old or too young to be sucking in vital oxygen 

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Don't know, Terry. Time goes so fast. Those that were dealers when you were a kid will now be retired or passed away. 

Fantastic. I have volunteered on the Great Central, which isn't too far away from where I live - mostly for track maintenance. Lot of work going on there at the moment as they try and combine the Leicester to Loughborough end with the Loughborough to Nottingham end. Much of the work is done, but still a fair bit to do. Massive shame that the old Nottingham Victoria station isn't still around. What a job could have been made in restoring that.

45 years and 29 a driver is amazing. I stand and applaud that achievement. Well done that man !     

Surely your favourite combination of trains and old black and white movies must be Will Hay's Oh Mr Porter, but that's a thirties film?

Yes, loved it and all other Will Hay films! Now I'm into the narrow boating 'The Bargee' 1964 starring Harry H Corbett and Ronnie Barker is a must!

A lovely 'document' of the working waterways in the last throws! Iv'e just passed a lot of the places in the past week where it was filmed!

Get it on Amazon if you want a peak?!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

Surely your favourite combination of trains and old black and white movies must be Will Hay's Oh Mr Porter, but that's a thirties film?

Yes, that was a great film. I'm not exclusively 40's and 50's, just mainly.

Going back to my Father with his collection which he felt was complete after 40 years travelling the country - he'd tended to take the Seabys book and try to obtain the lowest minted in number for each denomination of UK coins, not a mean feat?! Some, because of their rarity were impossible to acquire but his pride and joy was an 1839 milled edge Halfcrown of which, if I remember correctly was rarity 6 or 7 in Seabys with only a few examples known! When he retired he sold his beloved collection so he and Mum could travel and enjoy their final years, which they did in style! Happy memories!

Since my first post I have been searching for the picture of us at the Cumberland in Marble Arch 1969, found it!

Ada is holding the cup we won for best stand in show! My Father is on the right. I don't remember my chubby cheeks?!

Terry

fullsizeoutput_4eb.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Coin Cabinet said:

Yes, loved it and all other Will Hay films! Now I'm into the narrow boating 'The Bargee' 1964 starring Harry H Corbett and Ronnie Barker is a must!

A lovely 'document' of the working waterways in the last throws! Iv'e just passed a lot of the places in the past week where it was filmed!

Get it on Amazon if you want a peak?!

Cheers

Terry

I've seen snippets on Talking Pictures channel which sometimes shows it. I'll wait till the next showing!

So much potential for FA Cup ears.😁

4 hours ago, oldcopper said:

I've seen snippets on Talking Pictures channel which sometimes shows it. I'll wait till the next showing!

That's a great channel, by the way.