British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

numismatist

York Halfcrown How Much Damage Has Been Caused ?

What value would it have add and what value now. It would be interesting to know

the percentage loss caused byb the gouge or cut, thanks for any thoughts

post-6970-0-98419200-1375094878_thumb.jp

post-6970-0-51136400-1375094908_thumb.jp

I don't know, but that's a very, very nice coin. Personally, I'd be inclined to send it to the American guy for a professional restoration. The damage would then become almost invisible and the result would be a fabulous coin, and I could easily live with it.

I don't know, but that's a very, very nice coin. Personally, I'd be inclined to send it to the American guy for a professional restoration. The damage would then become almost invisible and the result would be a fabulous coin, and I could easily live with it.

Exactly my thoughts

It's killed it. From being a 2K coin to a 1K coin, but you would probably have difficulty shifting it with the gouge. There is a better 3B out there, such as Brooker 1083 which was on the market earlier this year. That one has virtually full lustre and is effectively mint state. :) I wouldn't want a coin which had that gouge, however good the rest of it.

Thanks all, I guess I thought it would have a serious effect . I've never touched a coin

as regarding a repair , so although I've heard of good results , I think it would always

leave me not wanting it , knowing it had been tampered with . Nice to know though it

has a possible £1K potential which is good to know . It think might have come out of the

ground in the distant past and got its damage that way..............

Thanks all, I guess I thought it would have a serious effect . I've never touched a coin

as regarding a repair , so although I've heard of good results , I think it would always

leave me not wanting it , knowing it had been tampered with . Nice to know though it

has a possible £1K potential which is good to know . It think might have come out of the

I would feel the same way.

This is Brooker 1083, which shows how good the damaged one was before the mark was made. The figure of 1K was plucked out of the air, but shouldn't be too wide of the mark based on the Brooker coin selling for over £3K. The lustre on the Brooker piece makes it win hands down.

3B-Brooker1083_zps6516ae01.jpg

I'd be the same, it would always niggle! I'd rather have 2 top class C1 shillings, every time...and maybe wait until I had 3k for the right halfcrown, or just accept that Edward pennies are the best that I could afford!

Basically, as always, I'd go for a collection that's first class, regardless of whether you're spending £10 on each coin, or £10k!

I can't even afford a top class G5 shilling at the moment, so I'm just not buying right now! :(

I would feel the same way.

This is Brooker 1083, which shows how good the damaged one was before the mark was made. The figure of 1K was plucked out of the air, but shouldn't be too wide of the mark based on the Brooker coin selling for over £3K. The lustre on the Brooker piece makes it win hands down.

3B-Brooker1083_zps6516ae01.jpg

Oops!

I'd be the same, it would always niggle! I'd rather have 2 top class C1 shillings, every time...and maybe wait until I had 3k for the right halfcrown, or just accept that Edward pennies are the best that I could afford!

Basically, as always, I'd go for a collection that's first class, regardless of whether you're spending £10 on each coin, or £10k!

I can't even afford a top class G5 shilling at the moment, so I'm just not buying right now! :(

Edited by Coinery

"I can't even afford a top class G5 shilling at the moment, so I'm just not buying right now! :("

Not even a 1918, 1926ME or 1936?

(There's one defect with this new forum layout, unless I'm missing the obvious - you can't edit 'quoted' posts down to just the bit you want, or the last person who posted? Looks like all you can do is copy & paste, but then you lose whose quote it was).

"I can't even afford a top class G5 shilling at the moment, so I'm just not buying right now! :("

You can't edit 'quoted' posts down to just the bit you want, or the last person who posted?

Editing seems to work ok for me, unless it looks different once I've hit the button to 'Add Reply'.

Just remembered when I first saw this coin, i called it the " peeing horse variety "

It's a very useful die. ;)

Just remembered when I first saw this coin, i called it the " peeing horse variety "

:lol::lol::lol:

You can't edit 'quoted' posts down to just the bit you want, or the last person who posted?

Editing seems to work ok for me, unless it looks different once I've hit the button to 'Add Reply'.

That's not quite what I meant - you can certainly change people's quoted posts to e.g. bold, italic, and red, as I've just done with yours! But try to delete nested posts, and it's a different matter (before, you just deleted anything between a

and

or even just bits of it). E.g., I can't see how to remove my nested quote here, and just leave yours.

ETA: Interesting - putting {quote} and {/quote} - but using square brackets - has generated an empty quote box!

Edited by Peckris

E.g., I can't see how to remove my nested quote here, and just leave yours.

Like this?

That's not quite what I meant - you can certainly change people's quoted posts to e.g. bold, italic, and red, as I've just done with yours! But try to delete nested posts, and it's a different matter (before, you just deleted anything between a

and

or even just bits of it). E.g., I can't see how to remove my nested quote here, and just leave yours.

ETA: Interesting - putting {quote} and {/quote} - but using square brackets - has generated an empty quote box!

... or this? I've just pruned your nested quote.

I was talking in terms of die sequencing.

I was talking in terms of die sequencing.

There was me thinking you had made a very clever urine-related pun!

How did you do that! When I click 'Quote' it gives me unremovable boxes instead the 'Quote/endQuote' code we had before. (As you see, I can delete the contents, but how do you get rid of the boxes themselves?)

Peckris said: How did you do that! When I click 'Quote' it gives me unremovable boxes instead the 'Quote/endQuote' code we had before. (As you see, I can delete the contents, but how do you get rid of the boxes themselves?)

Assuming this works..... Highlight the boxes & press delete. It's a graphical interface rather than the raw html we had before.

Edit: It did work!

Edited by Accumulator

Peckris said: How did you do that! When I click 'Quote' it gives me unremovable boxes instead the 'Quote/endQuote' code we had before. (As you see, I can delete the contents, but how do you get rid of the boxes themselves?)

Assuming this works..... Highlight the boxes & press delete. It's a graphical interface rather than the raw html we had before.

How did you highlight the box? I just tried and all I could highlight was the text inside the box. I managed to delete that ok. However, when I tried one more backspace (all the text had gone) it did delete the box alright, PLUS my reply, PLUS my presence in the topic, returning me to the previous topic I'd been in!!!! :unsure:

I'm not trying that again! It wasn't a momentary glitch - every time I try the same thing, the same weirdness happens.

I'll just have to live with unremovable boxes. I simply REFUSE to use Firefox. :P

How did you highlight the box? I just tried and all I could highlight was the text inside the box. I managed to delete that ok. However, when I tried one more backspace (all the text had gone) it did delete the box alright, PLUS my reply, PLUS my presence in the topic, returning me to the previous topic I'd been in!!!! :unsure:

I'm not trying that again! It wasn't a momentary glitch - every time I try the same thing, the same weirdness happens.

I'll just have to live with unremovable boxes. I simply REFUSE to use Firefox. :P

It's easy. Just click on the 'switch' button in the reply toolbar (top left corner) and you can toggle between the graphical format and the text markup that you know and love.

It's easy. Just click on the 'switch' button in the reply toolbar (top left corner) and you can toggle between the graphical format and the text markup that you know and love.

Well there you go! I hadn't even seen that - typical of an erstwhile programmer : all complaints and no eyesight :D And I can even switch back mid-reply to get the formatting stuff back again. :)