British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

_68928386_461janeaustenconceptimage.jpg] Edited by TomGoodheart

Blah. Stupid new forum doesn't let me nest urls within an image:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23424289

Blah. Stupid new forum doesn't let me nest urls within an image:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23424289

It does seem to work. Clicking on the image took me to the bbc web page you quoted.

Me too.

How odd, because it didn't work for me! Ah well, at least it works even if I can't test it out!

avoiding a long-term absence of women represented on banknotes

Hasn't the Queen been on all banknotes for the past 60 some years?

avoiding a long-term absence of women represented on banknotes

Hasn't the Queen been on all banknotes for the past 60 some years?

Nah, it's John McEnroe :)

its seems a nice forum

great discussion

thanks for sharing

Welcome Jessica! This particular thread may not quite be showing off the Forum discussions in their very best light!

This thread, as you say, doesn't seem to have progressed too far, so I'll throw my fourpenneth into the ring. Now I can understand that Jane Austen is one of our greatest novelists (although I've never read so much as a word she wrote) and if you ignore the obvious Queen Lizzie, women are under-represented on our currency. Trouble is that we really don't have a clue what she looked like - the only portraits surviving are by her sister who was to portraiture what I am to tae kwon do. So yes, it's nice to have England's Jane on our banknotes but I doubt if any of her contemporaries would recognize her.

This thread, as you say, doesn't seem to have progressed too far, so I'll throw my fourpenneth into the ring. Now I can understand that Jane Austen is one of our greatest novelists (although I've never read so much as a word she wrote) and if you ignore the obvious Queen Lizzie, women are under-represented on our currency. Trouble is that we really don't have a clue what she looked like - the only portraits surviving are by her sister who was to portraiture what I am to tae kwon do. So yes, it's nice to have England's Jane on our banknotes but I doubt if any of her contemporaries would recognize her.

Well, that's hardly surprising Derek! Their eyesight at nearly 200 years old will surely be pretty dodgy, even if their memory is unimpaired?

:P

Edited by TomGoodheart

Tumbleweed blowing through the desert... :rolleyes:

And somewhere in the distance a clock is slowly chiming ...

Maybe the RM should take inspiration from the Canadians.

A glow-in-the-dark note with Queen Elizabeth sinking the Armada from the back of her dinosaur?

£10 for £10. Should sell well! :P

Edited by TomGoodheart

And somewhere in the distance a clock is slowly chiming ...

"... when that fat old sun in sky is falling ..."

Summer evening birds are calling?

A wee bit esoteric even for you Peck. I have a feeling 99% of people reading this won't have a clue what we're on about.

Edited by Red Riley

"pink floyd?"

A wee bit esoteric even for you Peck. I have a feeling 99% of people reading this won't have a clue what we're on about.

"pink floyd?"

Apart from the odd one or two!

MOJO Magazine run a Top Ten feature each month, and recently it was Pink Floyd's turn. I was most non-gruntled to see that Atom Heart Mother was not in the list at all. It's so trendy to view this as a "failed experiment", yet it was their first album to get to #1, and surely has one of the most memorable sleeves ever! And Dave Gilmour pushed hard to get Fat Old Sun included on the "Echoes" compilation, but failed.

How did we get from Jane Austin to Pink Floyd?

How did we get from Jane Austin to Pink Floyd?

Emma Gumma?

Echos is one of the best pink floyd songs ever

LOL Ok, I have heard of Floyd. But not to the extent I'd recognise lyrics. I suspect by the time Fat Old Sun was out I was listening to Hawkwind.

It all went downhill from there really as I now alternate between metal and futurepop.

I was listening to Hawkwind.

Ah now we're talking....the Live '79 album is probably the most perfect music of the 20th Century. That and the Inkspots anyway.

I was listening to Hawkwind.

Ah now we're talking....the Live '79 album is probably the most perfect music of the 20th Century. That and the Inkspots anyway.

I miss album covers .... :( Now it's all digital there's no .. art.

(Says he while listening to some German electro on a webplayer..)

yes (the band) albums were pretty arty but they slowly went downhill after the yes album anyways as regards the music , or maybe it just got too complicated for my small brain.