British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

shamo

number of farthings

hi,it`s been awhile since i posted anything,i have`nt run away from coins just yet,my library of books consisted of 2 collectors`coins 2011 & 2013,british coins market values 2012,and 2 small books from 79/80 which are in the roof space,but saying that i picked up another book yesterday, coin collecting as a hobby by c.c chamberlain and burton hobson.they have me down to a T i.e jackdaw were as i would have classed myself as a magpie.but to be a magpie it`s all

shinny stuff like silver which i have very little of yet.so with that said back to the farthings,i have which i need help with and i will keep this short.

1821 double arrow head top arrow in rim teeth.

1840 doubling first 3 letters of victoria & last 3 letters of gratia,

7 a good few teeth bottom left at victoria.

1845 all date doubled

or recut but looks like 1/I.

1860 BRITT:REG.F.D no colon or stop after D,to colon dot after britt

just make it out at x60.

1860 this is a ? A in farthing recut with an unbarred A or inverted V.

1872 3 7`s one over the other.

1875-H another ? date doubled with the 7 and n of farthing tripled.

that`s it for present,i have joined photobucket,but i`ll need tips with taking photo`s.

thanks shamo...

1860nostoporcolonatD_zpse9c41c30.png"]My link 1860 no stop or colon`s

1860nostoporcolonatD_zpse9c41c30.png"]My link 1860 no stop or colon`s

1860nostoporcolonatD_zpse9c41c30.png

AveoStill0034_zps6312eeb9.png

AveoStill0034_zps6312eeb9.png"]My link

sorry for the delay with pic`s still learning

the picture of the 18 is the reverse of the farthing above which i forgot to mention on the first post.

thanks shamo

hi again, i think and i hope you can see the pic`s ok,and there`s an 1875-h which looks like smaller i/i? in victoria it`s another farthing it just arrived.what do you think.

thanks shamo

I think you'll have to wait until the site is working properly again for a reply. Most people can't log in or at least haven't been able to do so for few days.

hi rob,i had put up a thank you reply a day or so after you replied to my post,but it got taken down with every thing that was happening with the site,and if you did`nt,well thank`s again.as for the farthings i don`t think i`m barking mad,but some time`s we do need some one to tell us,is what i see the same as any one else am i in the right ball park or what,because i just got an 1862 shilling double c which look`s like c/o or the other way round,because the c is closed,i think it is a c.by the way this reply is`nt about the c it`s about the 6 in the date and if it is known 6/5 and to say thank`s to rob,and it`s nice to see the site up and running again.

thanks shamo

hi rob,i had put up a thank you reply a day or so after you replied to my post,but it got taken down with every thing that was happening with the site,and if you did`nt,well thank`s again.as for the farthings i don`t think i`m barking mad,but some time`s we do need some one to tell us,is what i see the same as any one else am i in the right ball park or what,because i just got an 1862 shilling double c which look`s like c/o or the other way round,because the c is closed,i think it is a c.by the way this reply is`nt about the c it`s about the 6 in the date and if it is known 6/5 and to say thank`s to rob,and it`s nice to see the site up and running again.

thanks shamo

There is a micro variety of 1860 where the lower stop appears to be missing (almost definitely due to die fill), but it is more of a curiosity than a variety that will add any premium. Regarding the others, I can only see the images of the 1860 farthing.

Advice I would give about these types of varieties, is that many things can "appear" to exist, I have several coins that I have noted as probable varieties or possible varieties, some of which look very convincing but it is imperative that they need to be confirmed with a very high degree of certainty from a high grade example before I get too interested in them....and even then it does not necessarily mean they will attract a premium...there are only a few of us micro collectors about :D

thanks shamo

There is a micro variety of 1860 where the lower stop appears to be missing (almost definitely due to die fill), but it is more of a curiosity than a variety that will add any premium. Regarding the others, I can only see the images of the 1860 farthing.

Advice I would give about these types of varieties, is that many things can "appear" to exist, I have several coins that I have noted as probable varieties or possible varieties, some of which look very convincing but it is imperative that they need to be confirmed with a very high degree of certainty from a high grade example before I get too interested in them....and even then it does not necessarily mean they will attract a premium...there are only a few of us micro collectors about :D

And they are all on this site :lol:

thank`s colin for your reply,and i`m starting to under stand a small bit,i was hoping you would reply because i for got to mention your site it`s a great learning tool for someone like me.i`m drawn to the micro varieties as i pushed my self for perfection in all the years in my trade,and i all ways took it the mint was what the word said mint,and then i was handed a 5 cent nickel which had been clipped back in 94 95,and it`s only now i`m getting the chance to try and build a small collection,nothing might every come of the coins as i know but it`s a starting road which with the help on here the road will stay straight and keep on coining, so thanks again it`s a pleasure.

shamo

thank`s austin for your post and i`m glad you liked it and hope it helps a small bit,welcome to the forum your the first newbie i`v welcomed to the forum and i hope you wont be the last.i hope you have made your self known to the other forum members so they to can welcome you to, and hope to hear from you again.

ahh yes those old Micros, we got 2 people on this site with sites just about farthings, and i got a couple not listed on those ;) 1 is a variaty of another (1773) and 1 of those "maybes" I own as well

I like the old copper sov's aswell :)

just an update on the 1821 farthing double arrow head,what do you think the bottom of the two arrived to day or the better one.

post-7224-0-64259000-1407456477_thumb.jp

post-7224-0-52232700-1407456690_thumb.jp

post-7224-0-66205300-1407456809_thumb.jp