British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Horsa

Importation Vat on numismatic coins into the UK is not 20% !

Thanks george :)

just going to post a comment and my response from a different site here as i think it might help:

A big well done for your efforts so far Martin,I personally will now instruct any Aussie dealers I buy from to use the codes you have shown in your battle with HMRC,I am just a private collector but am p--sed off with being ripped off by HMRC I have spoken by phone a couple of times about the VAT situation and have been fobbed off BUT NO MORE I take my inspiration from yourself.

Well done.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Member From: United Kingdom Registered: 2013-06-09 Last Visit: Yesterday Posts: 23
Re: Importation Vat on numismatic coins into the UK is not 20%

Thanks Mate smile.png
If you find a dealer who is willing to use the code for numismatic collectors items ( 9705000000 )
and your buying anyway then get them to send it out to you with this code!
Feel free to copy the letter earlier in the thread from hmrc to state your case that its the correct code to use and see what happens
the last 2 parcels that i have received have not incurred a vat charge at all ( 0% ) I'm not sure if this is due to them no longer wanting to play with me lol or if they just happened to miss them !
It could be that the backlog in refunds that they have ( at this moment in time the beginning of august ) is forcing them to the position that its just not worth the trouble to keep charging the 20% and deal with the refund or if i was just lucky enough to get 2 parcels through the system unnoticed.
In 3 months they have only managed to catch up a single month on the refund requests and thats with 2 extra staff being drafted in !
basically if your importing a small parcel anyway and can get it under the code 9705000000 then do it on the basis that they will charge you the 20% vat ! then send in the bor286 with your relevant information and get a refund, which may sadly take 3 months.
Good luck mate

So I just got charged £16 for an item where no duty was payable and vat should have been under £2.50. I don't mind paying if that's the law, but to have to fork out six times as much as I owe is a bit annoying.

Anyone know how long the Border Agency is currently taking to make a decision on BOR286 cases? It's coming up to two weeks and I've not even had an acknowledgement they've received my paperwork yet ...

Edited by TomGoodheart