British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Colin88

1905 Halfcrown Forgery...Close up Image

I hope that I can upload this close up picture.......nope...too big....why is it sooo difficult on this forum ??

I've sent the close up to "Numismatist" and have asked him if he could kindly upload the image of the 1905 Halfcrown forgery in my behalf...so, thank you in advance.

Calm now Peck. Don't have a seizure. :D Just remember the idiom about horses and water.

I hope that I can upload this close up picture.......nope...too big....why is it sooo difficult on this forum ??

If you go to the Beginners Forum, and look at the 'pinned' topic "Posting Pictures" there's a lot of advice in there about getting your picture down to a postable size.

Calm now Peck. Don't have a seizure. :D Just remember the idiom about horses and water.

Or old dogs and new tricks. Not meaning to sound rude! :D

Lovely Photo Colin has found, BUT as pies says its scary. It has a pretty pleasant tone,

and looks very desirable. The question has to be " what else is out there " and maybe the

next one wont have the twisted "I". They ( I presume the Chinese ) have produced superb

Gothic Crowns, the Gothic Florins and who knows what else . Coin collecting is becoming

very worrying . Some will says there are telltale signs , but until several Coins of a

certain date start to show up , very many collectors will get caught out along the way.

Provenance, tickets, links to any old illustrations whether named or not, people are going to have to start doing homework. All these will come to the market initially on auction sites such as ebay with a few good copies probably sold to dealers. If they start making copies of valuable Chinese coins, there is just a chance that action will be taken, particularly if a high up party official gets conned.

Lovely Photo Colin has found, BUT as pies says its scary. It has a pretty pleasant tone,

and looks very desirable. The question has to be " what else is out there " and maybe the

next one wont have the twisted "I". They ( I presume the Chinese ) have produced superb

Gothic Crowns, the Gothic Florins and who knows what else . Coin collecting is becoming

very worrying . Some will says there are telltale signs , but until several Coins of a

certain date start to show up , very many collectors will get caught out along the way.

Its very scary....i suspect the Chinese have already sorted out the problems...the 1905 fake shillings are much easier to spot......personally I would avoid the 05 halfcrowns in high grade...even well known

dealers have been fooled, believe me......stick to the 03 for the time being ..

Apologies to all you techies out there....i am an old dog....still, I havent done too badly.....woof

Its very scary....i suspect the Chinese have already sorted out the problems...the 1905 fake shillings are much easier to spot......personally I would avoid the 05 halfcrowns in high grade...even well known

Apologies to all you techies out there....i am an old dog....still, I havent done too badly.....woof

What's the weight of your's, Colin?

I generally don't swear, but bloody hell that looks good in the photo. I'd like to see it in person-is there a bag of them? I'd be interested to send one each to NGC, PCGS and CGS for slabbing and authentication.. They don't ask for provenance...

Apologies - some of you will remember I said this before already.. but Format Coins in Birmingham where I used to buy coins in the 1990s, have got out of the English market entirely due to Chinese forgeries, and now concentrate exclusively on foreign coins. Truly scary.

Please enlighten me. Altered dates are usually easy to spot but I wasn't aware that there were also copies.

Please enlighten me. Altered dates are usually easy to spot but I wasn't aware that there were also copies.

There was that 1905 shilling copy thread on here, where I posted up some big images of John's coin to view! Worth a look if you haven't seen it!

There was that 1905 shilling copy thread on here, where I posted up some big images of John's coin to view! Worth a look if you haven't seen it!

I don't recall it, a search didn't find anything.

Thats a bit scary :(

I certainly wouldn't have a clue. But then the gothic crowns would fool me too.

I wonder if those guys could knock up a couple of Dorrien Magens shillings for me for a tenner?

I don't recall it, a search didn't find anything.

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6770&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

It's not a bad copy! I'm sure some must exist without the bulging field 'blister' !

Edited by Coinery

This is very worrying, most of the fakes that I've encountered have been very poorly done and no one looking at the coin under a loupe (or with good eyesight!) would think it was genuine, but that half crown... I have to say that if I saw that one on eBay for a decent enough price (or in person) I most likely would have bought it.

The hard part about these things, coming from a US buyer is that provenience is rarely recorded, especially not for foreign coins. Dealers don't blink an eye if you've got something slabbed in a NGC/PCGS slab so long as the online verification works and if NGC/PCGS can't identify that these are fakes they will enter the marketplace without much suspicion.

The Chinese copies of the gold $20 are the scariest....you cannot tell from a photo..you have to have it in hand...its all about the look and the feel of the rim....I would also leave them well alone.....I'm sure Ed Milliband is a Chinese copy...he just doesnt look right at all.........

I generally don't swear, but bloody hell that looks good in the photo. I'd like to see it in person-is there a bag of them? I'd be interested to send one each to NGC, PCGS and CGS for slabbing and authentication.. They don't ask for provenance...

There's not a bag of them but about 25 of them were struck (forged) during that period in the 70's/80's by the same person(s)....who, I am told, is alledgedly still around.

There's not a bag of them but about 25 of them were struck (forged) during that period in the 70's/80's by the same person(s)....who, I am told, is alledgedly still around.

Do you know why he did not make more? If he could make such good fakes in the 70's / 80's, then I dread to think what will happen in 50 years time.

Do you know why he did not make more? If he could make such good fakes in the 70's / 80's, then I dread to think what will happen in 50 years time.

Nothing given he should be pushing up the daisies

I didn't mean him, but what forgers in gerneral can do in the future. :D What worry me is that one day, forgeries will be so good that they can no longer be distinguished from the real thing by visual inspection or weight. Then will all rare coins have to be sold in "slabs" after expensive analysis have been done in labs? Scary!

I didn't mean him, but what forgers in gerneral can do in the future. :D What worry me is that one day, forgeries will be so good that they can no longer be distinguished from the real thing by visual inspection or weight. Then will all rare coins have to be sold in "slabs" after expensive analysis have been done in labs? Scary!

As Rob has said that is where provenance is going to play a major part in putting minds at rest on un-slabbed coins.