British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just noticed a couple of these sold by " Laura_5268 " (Hongkong)

she can get you Gothic Crowns and Northumberland Shillings by the score

and " ashdei " (China) Dont know whats hes had but hes got a high Ebay score of 972

and his favorite buyer in USA W2cti keeps giving feedback of " Loving it " Whats he

loving buying from China !!

I bet they could turn up some nice Una and the Lion five Pounds ?

Coin picture India Mohur 1841 (they are in great demand these days)

post-6970-030411000 1370187224_thumb.jpg

As you are obviously monitoring this seller, could we arrange a pinned thread somewhere to list the items regularly offered together with a few pictures, or links? This can only be beneficial.

I was watching Mohur Prices as someone overseas was very interested. I had not seen any before

looking so crisp, but when enlarged had numerous marks and pits, suppose from the original they

used , presume making new dies that showed all the same marks as the original.Then the " Laura "

name showed up which figured strongly in the early 1763 Shilling reports. Ebay obviously are

very happy with all the fakes from China as I know they have been informed many times through

the years and do nothing at all , as all the same old names are still at it. It would be good

if some data base of fakes was set up as it seems to me the BNTA and the top dealers and Auctions

try at keep it quite and " in house " about all the fakes that are swamping the collector market.

Seems their excuse is if knowledge gets public the fakers will know what to do to make their fakes

better but I cannot accept that notion.

I was watching Mohur Prices as someone overseas was very interested. I had not seen any before

looking so crisp, but when enlarged had numerous marks and pits, suppose from the original they

used , presume making new dies that showed all the same marks as the original.Then the " Laura "

name showed up which figured strongly in the early 1763 Shilling reports. Ebay obviously are

very happy with all the fakes from China as I know they have been informed many times through

the years and do nothing at all , as all the same old names are still at it. It would be good

if some data base of fakes was set up as it seems to me the BNTA and the top dealers and Auctions

try at keep it quite and " in house " about all the fakes that are swamping the collector market.

Seems their excuse is if knowledge gets public the fakers will know what to do to make their fakes

better but I cannot accept that notion.

Yeah, it seems that their logic is, "we're not going to tell the collectors about what we know, instead just buy from us and we'll do the checking"

No matter how good the fake is, it can never be flawless but the only way that collectors can know what the fakes are is if there's an open and public database of fakes compared to the genuine coins.

Pinned. Though probably a whole new forum would be better, my Admin powers don't stretch to setting one up.

As you are obviously monitoring this seller, could we arrange a pinned thread somewhere to list the items regularly offered together with a few pictures, or links? This can only be beneficial.

In theory, forgerynetwork.com should be a place to consult for such things. But I have to admit that I've not posted anything there for a while and I really don't know how many people are aware it exists ..

Edited by TomGoodheart

I have NEVER heard of the BNTA ever taking up with Ebay the question of Fakes,

Never read anything in Coin News either, yet in USA Ebay has been taken to task

by the US Mint, the US Secret Service, and Coin World, and now you are not even

allowed to grade ( as far as I know )a Coin on Ebay.com, unless it is slabbed by

one of the top slabbers, In the 1970's several Coin dealers were jailed for the

racket in Fake 1887 £5 pieces and other coins that they bought in in tubes of 25

or 50 at a time from Beirut. They were convicted even though they told the buyers

at the first point of sale exactely what the coins were. Yet now a Top London

Auction sells those Beirut Fakes as "Jewellers Copies or Top Quality copies)The

latest two were sold as recent as March 2013. Perhaps its now okay to sell these

Fakes in the UK ?? . Dealers I know who had them come in sent them straight in as

scrap as they thought they were illegal to sell, but maybe this is no longer the

case in the UK.

The 1905 Halfcrown copy in forgery.com looks good in the picture. I can normally pick a forgery a mile away.

The 1905 Halfcrown copy in forgery.com looks good in the picture. I can normally pick a forgery a mile away.

I'm holding a 1905 shilling of John's which looks very good, outside of super-macro photography! Regular photos wouldn't expose it, it's that good!

Pinned. Though probably a whole new forum would be better, my Admin powers don't stretch to setting one up.

In theory, forgerynetwork.com should be a place to consult for such things. But I have to admit that I've not posted anything there for a while and I really don't know how many people are aware it exists ..

I tried making use of forgery network on a number of occasions, and mostly gave up in frustration. The principle's great, but the actuality is less than satisfactory!

Also, it's really hard to trust the additions on a site like that...who verifies?

I bought an Elizabeth I coin recently, that was being sold as a contemporary counterfeit of a threepence. How gutted was I to find it was actually a very knackered, but genuine, halfgroat!

Pray tell, I have a fake 1905 half crown and wish I knew what points it out as a fake.

Pray tell, I have a fake 1905 half crown and wish I knew what points it out as a fake.

From what I gleaned on this very forum, there's a small break in the R of EDWARDVS that is the prime giveaway on many of them. But there may be other flaws on those from other sources?

From what I gleaned on this very forum, there's a small break in the R of EDWARDVS that is the prime giveaway on many of them. But there may be other flaws on those from other sources?

Are you certain that this only appears on fakes? I have seen more 1905 halfcrowns with the defect on the R of EDWARDVS, than without. The EF example in the Andrew Scothern collection (being auctioned by DNW later this month) also has the defect.

The only giveaway of fakes that I'm aware of is the wonky I of QVI on the reverse.

Are you certain that this only appears on fakes? I have seen more 1905 halfcrowns with the defect on the R of EDWARDVS, than without. The EF example in the Andrew Scothern collection (being auctioned by DNW later this month) also has the defect.

The only giveaway of fakes that I'm aware of is the wonky I of QVI on the reverse.

Are the fakes Silver, and the right weight? This is the sort of detail the forgery website needs if it's going to be useful.

As I say, I only heard about this on this forum, and only in connection with fakes. There may well be genuine examples with the same defect, but I hadn't heard of them here!

As I say, I only heard about this on this forum, and only in connection with fakes. There may well be genuine examples with the same defect, but I hadn't heard of them here!

I pointed out on here some time ago the broken R but it was pooh poohed at the time. My fake is 0.900 silver so not quite sterling. It's got the wonky I.

I pointed out on here some time ago the broken R but it was pooh poohed at the time. My fake is 0.900 silver so not quite sterling. It's got the wonky I.

Strangely, that part of it I didn't remember.

Thanks, Gary! Where did you get the .900 analysis from? Was it cheap?

Thanks, Gary! Where did you get the .900 analysis from? Was it cheap?

I bought it as such from London Coins

Without extensive knowledge of known fake differences, then intuition tells me what is fake. This I guess is really a combination of things you can only do in person:

1. depth of strike

2. texture of metal, especially plain fields (cast metal)

3. The shape of the portrait

4. Colour/oxidation of the metal

5. The sound it makes when struck (lightly of course!)

6. Any newish filing of the rims in places

7. Weight

8. Comparison to known real examples (preferably under microscope)

If you only have a photo then it's tricky and rely heavily on the auction house rep.

The single most 'obvious' way of telling the 1905 Halfcrown fakes that were made in the 1970's / 80's by +++ is the weakly struck and wobbly letter "I" at the top of the "I" of "Qvi" of the "Honi Soit Qvi Mal Y Pense" motto on the reverse.

I do have a superb quality photo of one of these fakes that you can see quite clearly.....but I still dont know how to upload pictures on this forum.

There may be newer fakes that I am not aware of so apologies for that.

regards

Colin

The single most 'obvious' way of telling the 1905 Halfcrown fakes that were made in the 1970's / 80's by +++ is the weakly struck and wobbly letter "I" at the top of the "I" of "Qvi" of the "Honi Soit Qvi Mal Y Pense" motto on the reverse.

I do have a superb quality photo of one of these fakes that you can see quite clearly.....but I still dont know how to upload pictures on this forum.

regards

Colin

1. As you type into the text box, you will notice under it a blue Attachments banner. Click 'Choose File' and navigate to where the picture is on your computer

2. Having selected it, click the dark blue 'Attach This File' button, and wait for it to be uploaded

3. Then click the 'Add to Post' button which appears when it's been uploaded. That puts the code into the text box for the attachment

4. Then just 'Add Reply' as per usual.

Of course, your picture must not be greater than 150k but I've explained how to achieve that many many times and there's now a Sticky to that effect in the Beginners forum!

------

Incidentally, your analysis of dodgy 1905 halfcrowns won't apply to anything VF or less where the I of QVI has worn away. :D

regards

Colin

1. As you type into the text box, you will notice under it a blue Attachments banner. Click 'Choose File' and navigate to where the picture is on your computer

2. Having selected it, click the dark blue 'Attach This File' button, and wait for it to be uploaded

3. Then click the 'Add to Post' button which appears when it's been uploaded. That puts the code into the text box for the attachment

4. Then just 'Add Reply' as per usual.

Of course, your picture must not be greater than 150k but I've explained how to achieve that many many times and there's now a Sticky to that effect in the Beginners forum!

------

Incidentally, your analysis of dodgy 1905 halfcrowns won't apply to anything VF or less where the I of QVI has worn away. :D

Taken the word out of my mouth, the handful on ebay at the moment are all worn to the extent that the I has gone.

Colin88 has just asked for this to be added. Sorry its not up to

his original in definition as my computor skills are pretty lousy

post-6970-005442800 1370712826_thumb.jpg

No apology required - your image fills my browser page, no problem. Colin probably couldn't post his as it was way oversize.

No apology required - your image fills my browser page, no problem. Colin probably couldn't post his as it was way oversize.

Now that I'm aware of it that wonky I sticks out like a sore thumb.