British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

cool --but I don't like the postage 12 pound =$24nz

54 minutes ago, fourmack said:

cool --but I don't like the postage 12 pound =$24nz

Read the text of any of the listings. It specifically states that shipping to NZ is not £12.00 That's because ebay don't have a setting for NZ. They just regard you as "Rest of the World" You get charged the same rate as Oz.

ok thanks

19 hours ago, bagerap said:

I've spent this evening listing 20 or so toy coins. Mostly Lauer which generally say "Imitation of" whatever. The listings all start TOY MONEY and they're listed under tokens. I had ebay autobots all over my a**e for the entire evening telling me that I couldn't list because blah blah blah. Sometimes I'd used identical wording just minutes before witout demur. As a result my listings will be finishing after midnight which is a practice that I usually find unprofitable.

So my take from this is that genuine collectable articles can come under severe scrutiny but just list an outright fake and it's Absolutely fine Sir, enjoy your selling experience.

I had listed some lots of Halfpennies and pennies, identified by Freeman numbers and ebays' bots kicked it out as using numerical grading.....

I had to change it from F number to Freeman number to get it to list....

30 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I had listed some lots of Halfpennies and pennies, identified by Freeman numbers and ebays' bots kicked it out as using numerical grading.....

I had to change it from F number to Freeman number to get it to list....

You're not allowed to use numerical grading? :o I never heard that before.

Ebay changed the rules at some point to only allow numerical grading for coin in slabs (might have been in America only when I read about it).

Numerical grading can only be used if the coin has been slabbed by "an eBay-approved company such as NGC, PCGS, ANACS, ICG, or PMG"

Otherwise, you can't use numerical grading but can use traditional grades like EF, VF etc.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/stamps-currency-coins-policy?id=4337

It has been like that for quite a long time as far as I know but how well it has been enforced is a matter of opinion. 

On 10/6/2019 at 2:04 AM, bagerap said:

I've spent this evening listing 20 or so toy coins. Mostly Lauer which generally say "Imitation of" whatever. The listings all start TOY MONEY and they're listed under tokens. I had ebay autobots all over my a**e for the entire evening telling me that I couldn't list because blah blah blah. Sometimes I'd used identical wording just minutes before witout demur. As a result my listings will be finishing after midnight which is a practice that I usually find unprofitable.

So my take from this is that genuine collectable articles can come under severe scrutiny but just list an outright fake and it's Absolutely fine Sir, enjoy your selling experience.

Does the word MODEL help?

I must admit a quick luck at the anne farthings on ebay , with about 96% being fake but not described as such .

The funny thing is if you are honest and list your contemp . copy as such you are punished by it fetching  £70 instead of the £250 you would have got listing it as genuine.

With all the fakes on there I would never consider buying off ebay , it has to be at a coin fair - I do hope to buy a couple one day.

As the bay is now the home of chancers and charlatans it may never get its reputation back

On 10/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, Sword said:

Numerical grading can only be used if the coin has been slabbed by "an eBay-approved company such as NGC, PCGS, ANACS, ICG, or PMG"

Otherwise, you can't use numerical grading but can use traditional grades like EF, VF etc.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/stamps-currency-coins-policy?id=4337

It has been like that for quite a long time as far as I know but how well it has been enforced is a matter of opinion. 

You can put vague numerical grades though - I sometimes list US coins as e.g. "MS60 - 62" and I've never had any problems. The French dealer Numiscorner does this on basically all of their listings. 

• Like 1

I’m with sword on this one

That's odd- I have a bag of contemporary forgeries that I was going to shift,

and I typed 'contemporary forgery' into ebay and loads appeared.....

• Haha 1

Apologies if this has already been posted, but e bay seller "The Coin King" has written an article about the increasing number of fakes being offered on e bay, including how they typically manifest, what to look for and where they might originate. Worth a read.

link

• Like 3

Vey good.  He left out the magnet slide.

But then you have to have the coin in hand...

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but e bay seller "The Coin King" has written an article about the increasing number of fakes being offered on e bay, including how they typically manifest, what to look for and where they might originate. Worth a read.

link

Pity he couldn't include some illustrations of the kinds of fakes to look out for, or maybe a reference to any websites where these are shown.

I'm not sure you can put more than just text on an Ebay Guide...

6 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I'm not sure you can put more than just text on an Ebay Guide...

Fair enough. I wasn't really criticising, just lamenting the need for some better information.

• Like 1

I know, i know...the last thing I always wished I could afford to collect was always Victorian Silver.

Now I steer well clear.

Another of those high quality fakes of 1864 florin DN 64 has appeared in the next DNW auction lot 398.  Usual digs in the fields and cud on the n of tenth.

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2021 at 6:44 PM, Nick said:

Another of those high quality fakes of 1864 florin DN 64 has appeared in the next DNW auction lot 398.  Usual digs in the fields and cud on the n of tenth.

From the finishing  price I expect a few more will suddenly appear for sale

• Like 1

That is very worrying to be honest. Were DNW not aware of this forgery? Obviously not, and neither were the bidders.

Lots of forgeries of 1/4 farthings are appearing on ebay and appear to be selling a good prices acording to compleated listings  - they are obvious fakes and I suspect some dodgy deals are going on allong with shill bidding so any new collectors should stay well clear of these .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Lots of forgeries of 1/4 farthings are appearing on ebay and appear to be selling a good prices acording to compleated listings  - they are obvious fakes and I suspect some dodgy deals are going on allong with shill bidding so any new collectors should stay well clear of these .

They've been around for a good while I think. Blindingly obvious too.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:44 PM, Nick said:

And another in Noonan's sale on 10 May, Lot 103. But I'm not entirely convinced that these 1864 florins (all with obverse die no. 64) are fakes. Apart from the strange "n" in tenth, they look absolutely spot on (unless I'm missing something). Could they simply be genuine coins with an error on the reverse die that was paired with obverse die no. 64?