British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

41 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I am thinking because these are so good perhaps someone is taking a plaster or rubber mold of a coin and making dies from those.Would take a lot of skill though I would of thought?

I'm more inclined to think they might be making digital scans and creating the dies that way, as when you make a cast and produce the design from it, there is a gradual thickening of the detail and loss of the finer points as the naturally irregular surfaces are incompletely copied.

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Wow, well done guys, I would say that’s pretty conclusive. And they have been around for over a decade. They will be in a lot of collections. Who knows how many other coins are faked equally well,  so far it seems to mostly be silver because of the difficulty reproducing copper patina, I’m sticking to my pennies, at least there don’t seem to be convincing copies of these.

Jerry

Its a funny thing Jerry, but if the copies were to be absolutely perfect , we would not now them to be copies at all, and except them as genuine, we would of course all be wondering where all of the new examples were coming from.  This would have the effect of lowering the average price of all the coins, genuine and fake. :(

2 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Its a funny thing Jerry, but if the copies were to be absolutely perfect , we would not now them to be copies at all, and except them as genuine, we would of course all be wondering where all of the new examples were coming from.  This would have the effect of lowering the average price of all the coins, genuine and fake. :(

Makes you wonder if those so called hoard of 1841 half pennies are all legit?

Just now, zookeeperz said:

Makes you wonder if those so called hoard of 1841 half pennies are all legit?

They weren't all identical. We discussed this at the time if I recall.

Just now, Rob said:

They weren't all identical. We discussed this at the time if I recall.

All I remember was they weren't all D.F.I as that was what people were asking did anyone check anything to see if they were genuine?

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

All I remember was they weren't all D.F.I as that was what people were asking did anyone check anything to see if they were genuine?

Yes they were all genuine as i bought eleven and were spot on although all slightly different including Normal ,DFI and Broken stem , i looked carefully at them all before i picked out the best and sent some for grading.

They were all found in one bag with some 1834 farthings of which i also bought a few and they were slightly different from each other REV A ,REV B , and W.w.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Some really high-quality Australian fakes have appeared recently - genuinely look like the real thing but what gave them away was the same die markers on multiple different coins. It's worrying.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:27 AM, Mr T said:

Some really high-quality Australian fakes have appeared recently - genuinely look like the real thing but what gave them away was the same die markers on multiple different coins. It's worrying.

that is very true, they are high quality, 1902 crown, Victorian, made from silver and with good edge lettering.  those half crowns have been up on aliexpress for a few years now.  Personally I think it is important always to have a reference set of all the fakes they sell.  If I died tomorrow and the charity did sell off my coins whilst i know they are fake and seperate from the rest of the collection they might easily get listed .  I would like a small metal punch with copy so I could mark them all.  The shillings victorian are very hard to tell apart, if you dont know your portraits although there is a flaw up the side of the wreath on the right side on all of them.  But they have quite a good ring to them. 

I have a set of fake wreath crowns that are very  good, it puts me off collecting them as I am not enough of an expert to be sure of what is genuine.  I collect copper pennies and have a set of the pre 1860 imitations and a few later ones.  They are good but with these I can spot the fakes easily.  I keep them all in a box labelled Chinese Fakes.

• Like 1

I suspect this is another of the high quality 1818 Half Crown fakes - what do others think? (Pictures are not great, but...)

http://www.charterhouse-auction.com/antiques-sale-catalogue?inf_contact_key=34a4585adace5155122a0fd9e8ace0f58a64d420c0070b7843bcfb085c2f64f9

37 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I suspect this is another of the high quality 1818 Half Crown fakes - what do others think? (Pictures are not great, but...)

http://www.charterhouse-auction.com/antiques-sale-catalogue?inf_contact_key=34a4585adace5155122a0fd9e8ace0f58a64d420c0070b7843bcfb085c2f64f9

Do you have the lot number Paddy? The link just takes me to the front page and a search for '1818' brings up an error.

Yes - Lot number 754. Sorry - I thought the link would do it.

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yes - Lot number 754. Sorry - I thought the link would do it.

I eventually found it by bringing up relevant pages until that lot number appeared. However clicking on ANY part of it just brings up that ole damn error. :( The picture I can see is too small to tell anything from.

Seems to have all the tell tale signs.

6 hours ago, Peckris said:

Do you have the lot number Paddy? The link just takes me to the front page and a search for '1818' brings up an error.

I can't get anything on it. Had to sign in, but I can't get past the first page without adding card details. Why should I do that just to view the ruddy items? 

ETA: Ignore that. In it now.

Edited by 1949threepence

9 hours ago, Peckris said:

I eventually found it by bringing up relevant pages until that lot number appeared. However clicking on ANY part of it just brings up that ole damn error. :( The picture I can see is too small to tell anything from.

@Peckris what is the error message? It seems likely you have some problem with the set-up of your computer as there have been other things you couldn't get to when others could. Do you have a friendly neighbourhood computer person to have a look at it for you?

BTW I have emailied the auctioneer raising my concerns - be interesting to see how/if they respond.

On 21 June 2018 at 8:32 AM, Paddy said:

@Peckris what is the error message? It seems likely you have some problem with the set-up of your computer as there have been other things you couldn't get to when others could. Do you have a friendly neighbourhood computer person to have a look at it for you?

BTW I have emailied the auctioneer raising my concerns - be interesting to see how/if they respond.

Here are the relevant screenshots which show 

1. Their site with me entering the lot number before clicking the magnifying glass

2. After clicking

3. Bringing up the relevant lot by browsing through the pages of lots 

4. After clicking "More details"

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.20.52.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.21.10.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.22.02.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.22.26.jpg

As you can see, in all cases their web page is clearly and visibly identified, so the 'error' is from their own system not my computer. Therefore it's pretty safe to assume that the problem is at their end, not mine.

Edited by Peckris

I see the error, but I can't explain it, and I don't get the same when I try.

Despite the error, it did find the lot required - it is the second picture that appears in your screen shots above.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 10:10 PM, jelida said:

Wow, well done guys, I would say that’s pretty conclusive. And they have been around for over a decade. They will be in a lot of collections. Who knows how many other coins are faked equally well,  so far it seems to mostly be silver because of the difficulty reproducing copper patina, I’m sticking to my pennies, at least there don’t seem to be convincing copies of these.

Jerry

Indeed. The so called souvenir replica pennies, which are currently flooding e bay, are very far from convincing. Even the ones which have been deliberately made to look circulated.  

How does this guy get away with selling these on ebay, it says nothing about them being fakes! with 100% feed back..... zotdrago0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

http://thefakepoundcoindatabase.co.uk/NewPound.html

A fantastic website and Hat off to the guy.

I wasnt aware there was now fake £1 coins in circulation .but suppose it was bound to happen 😵

They were supposed to be uncrackable. Any fake £2 coins about?

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

They were supposed to be uncrackable. Any fake £2 coins about?

Thousands Mike ,just click on the £2 tab 😮

• Like 1

He appears to be doing a better job than the RM in noticing and highlighting fakes to the public!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1