British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Weighs approximately 6g - and still they bid!! :blink:

Perhaps I shouldn't shout too loudly given my mm.eye 3a3 halfcrown weighs 5.91g. :huh:

I noticed that days ago. Reported it too. 

9 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Oomf sold for £460. Ouch that's going to sting if they're savvy enough to realise it's garbage. Good luck with eBay customer service lol. 

I'm not convinced that the buyer will be unhappy when it arrives. The pictures are clear enough to show the cast nature of the surfaces and the weight is stipulated to be about 6g. To us it is obvious, but it's clear from this that there are a lot of people living in blissful ignorance. You see it all the time, as regularly featured on this thread. Buyers don't know what they are bidding on, and I'm sure that many sellers of the same don't know better either.

In the meantime, eBay rake in their fees and abrogate any responsibilities they should have. If you want to acquire a moral compass, I cannot recommend eBay's own brand, even with free postage from a company with perfect feedback. ;)

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'm not convinced that the buyer will be unhappy when it arrives. The pictures are clear enough to show the cast nature of the surfaces and the weight is stipulated to be about 6g. To us it is obvious, but it's clear from this that there are a lot of people living in blissful ignorance. You see it all the time, as regularly featured on this thread. Buyers don't know what they are bidding on, and I'm sure that many sellers of the same don't know better either.

In the meantime, eBay rake in their fees and abrogate any responsibilities they should have. If you want to acquire a moral compass, I cannot recommend eBay's own brand, even with free postage from a company with perfect feedback. ;)

Very true. I've seen feedback people have left for coins I've identified as fake. I saw somebody once leave positive feedback for a William I pax penny thats sold by museum reproductions in Runcorn. He paid £250 for it. Same week another 2 where listed by separate sellers both identical and both replicas from the same cast mould as the first one.

Edited by Ukstu

On 16/07/2017 at 11:32 PM, Rob said:

Perfect feedback is bogus. Ebay protect premium sellers. They allow them so many negative feedbacks per month and still keep 100% record. Whilst they rake in the commissions 

37 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Perfect feedback is bogus. Ebay protect premium sellers. They allow them so many negative feedbacks per month and still keep 100% record. Whilst they rake in the commissions 

The moral is don't use ebay if you aren't happy.

If you and sufficient numbers take away their custom, it will eventually hurt them in the pocket. Only that, or being taken to court for breaking the law will force them to take a more responsible attitude. Their business model has been successful because so many people have a means of selling unwanted items or as a place for businesses to advertise as a shop front. It filled what with hindsight was a glaring hole in the market. In a way you have to sympathise with ebay as it is too unwieldy to police fully and you can easily see why so many dodgy items get through because they will always be playing catchup. An open mind would be helpful instead of a blanket buyer right, seller wrong attitude, but an open mind would also rarely make a decision.

The serious problems in my mind started about 10 years ago when they made Paypal mandatory, ostensibly to protect the buyer, but in reality to increase their profits given eBay and Paypal were one company at the time. From that point onwards they applied ever restricted communication and dispute outcomes, to the point where it became impossible to warn buyers about problems, include contact details, discuss wider problems, whilst all you have to do as a buyer is claim nothing was received and they will pay out, whilst the unscupulous receive their goods as well.

There is absolutely nothing that forces anyone to use eBay either immorally or irresponsibly, just the greed of many or the avarice of a few.

eBay is definitely a gamble, whatever perspective you take, so I think you have to view the experience in balance. For me that means overall I'm up on the good experiences and nice surprises, allowing me to feel less disgruntled at the negative aspects. I think you have to use it regularly for the 'balance' to happen, you can get very badly burned by the occasional dabble otherwise.

i confess I don't use it so often nowadays, and have become shy as a consequence. I'm definitely tending more towards the idea of coin fairs when the money starts rolling in. When you know what you like, eBay can be a struggle.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

The moral is don't use ebay if you aren't happy.

If you and sufficient numbers take away their custom, it will eventually hurt them in the pocket. Only that, or being taken to court for breaking the law will force them to take a more responsible attitude. Their business model has been successful because so many people have a means of selling unwanted items or as a place for businesses to advertise as a shop front. It filled what with hindsight was a glaring hole in the market. In a way you have to sympathise with ebay as it is too unwieldy to police fully and you can easily see why so many dodgy items get through because they will always be playing catchup. An open mind would be helpful instead of a blanket buyer right, seller wrong attitude, but an open mind would also rarely make a decision.

The serious problems in my mind started about 10 years ago when they made Paypal mandatory, ostensibly to protect the buyer, but in reality to increase their profits given eBay and Paypal were one company at the time. From that point onwards they applied ever restricted communication and dispute outcomes, to the point where it became impossible to warn buyers about problems, include contact details, discuss wider problems, whilst all you have to do as a buyer is claim nothing was received and they will pay out, whilst the unscupulous receive their goods as well.

There is absolutely nothing that forces anyone to use eBay either immorally or irresponsibly, just the greed of many or the avarice of a few.

I used ebay quite a lot about 10 years ago and I have to admit it was much better then than it is now. The quality of the coins was exceptional. Even the unsearched lots were simply that and there were many with expensive bling amongst them. I just feel the rogue trader has set up in Ebay rather like the wandering travellers they invade pitch up , stay for a while, leave and then return again. Surely Ebay can IP ban these accounts esp the chinese fakers. But I forgot it means less revenue for ebay. They have a line they always say when you tell them something is fake. "prove it or call the police" Basically saying GFY we aint interested. I don't like being a nosey busy body but I don't like seeing innocent decent folk get stitched up for their hard earned. Every single seller of fake  coins drives another nail in the coffin for reputable sellers which decrease with every passing day. Or even the half decent seller who use the terms "see pictures for details you decide" Well yes that is all well and good but they know if the coin has problems. I even bought a half crown and I think it is still on Ebay now that has 2 bullet holes on the head. The original picture with the sale had been photoshopped to brush the damage out. Then follows the excuse oh sorry I sent the wrong coin. And if your doing things like that knowing ebay has your back as a premium seller then I lay the blame at ebay's feet. tbh it is only because the auction houses drove their % of commision from 5% to 20% and then the vat on top that I turned to ebay to sell off some goods and not lose out . Very difficult to buy when your already facing 40% on top of the hammer price and even more if you have it delivered with the outrageous delivery prices they slap on.A lot of my bookmarks for online coin shops I had to delete as they have all closed. Sign of the times I guess :)

Newly registered; very interesting (and scary) reading about the fake coins. How much comfort (if any) can I take from a coin being NGC-slabbed? A 1763 Northumberland shilling I'm considering is being sold in such a slab; it appears to have the "blocked R" that Rob's post mentions, as well as what I believe is a sufficiently-rounded "6" (see Paulus's post).

Regards,
Graham

Guest aaa

If you aren't happy, don't buy it. Rest assured another will be along shortly.

My apologies if this was posted already, but I saw it on eBay and thought it was useful that someone had produced such an informative guide to eBay fakes and trickery. (Perhaps it could be put as a Sticky if anyone considers it worthwhile?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Fake-British-Coins-On-eBay-/10000000243393016/g.html?_pb=1

• Like 3

A good ready reckoner 

• Like 1

I have to say, it is not just Ebay that is flooded with fakes at the moment!

In my area there are a number of local low grade auction houses that regularly list coins that are clearly fake, but still get substantial bids. When a supposed "Kruger Rand" sells for £80 you know there is a problem - if it was genuine, it should be £800 to £1000, if a fake £8 max - so someone thinks they have got the bargain of the century.

Most disturbing recently were two Morgan Dollars - 1879 and 1880, both with the CC Carson City marks, which should be an alarm bell in the first place. A few seconds examination confirmed they were not Silver (though not magnetic and approximately right on weight). One sold for £48, the other for £250. I was so annoyed I wanted to shout out in mid-auction!

Is there a mechanism for reporting auction houses selling fake coins as genuine to trading standards?

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Is there a mechanism for reporting auction houses selling fake coins as genuine to trading standards?

Yes.  Name and shame.  :)

Guest Richpip2002

Hi all,

new here, was give a load of old coins by a work friend who was clearing his collection of coins that he feels have very little value, but in there was this coin, can any one help identify what it is please, name of the coin, potential age, the alloy ? Any information would be useful 

the coin is not a copper colour it’s more gold coloured but I’m under no illusion it actually is gold!image.jpgimage.jpg

the dia is 2.3cm to 2.5cm 

weighs in 8.1g to 8.2g

as you can see it’s pretty pitted on the surface so these really are the best photos I could do 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Possibly a button

I don't think it's a button Dave, I can see a bust on the second picture and I'm sure I've seen something like this before somewhere. :huh:

• Like 1

Guest :) .

Haha thanks Dave I can see where you might think it’s a button the design on the back defo lends its self to be a bridge/ hoop to be attached as a button , but I also don’t believe it is a button as I’m certain I’ve seen the reverse design somewhere before and I’ve searched online for hours and had no luck.

It’s like some sort of weapon that is spiked both ends, looking at it closely the spike are twisted like a unicorn horn, also where the hand would hold the weapon in the middle it also looks like a small wing either side and clearly a letter s too

If you post it here Guest, you should get your answer.

Looks like a Roman coin to me. Right facing Emperor. Could be Barbarous the crown doesn't look right. Tetricus? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarous_radiate

Edited by Ukstu

17 minutes ago, whitedb said:

1797 Cartwheel Penny - Looks like a fake to me: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1797-Cart-wheel-Penny-Coin-Antique-Old-Copper-King-George-III-Royal-Mint-London/312080411819?hash=item48a9712cab:g:NgoAAOSweRhanEmO

The Chinese copies are getting better and better and this coin does not look right to me.

is it a penny or 2 penny, the add seems a bit confused to me