British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The fact that the busts are 2 guinea type and the coin size is a guinea, it means they must be made by imaging a 2 guinea piece and manufacturing the copy using CNC machines. This would explain the sharp, clean design, which of course you rarely encounter on a coin struck using a fly press due to metal flow. Little things to check if you don't want to be ripped off.

Yet again, a triumph of greed over common sense on the part of the buyer. As pointed out, if genuine, it would be a 10K coin. People don't learn, and probably due to all pervasive consumer protection legislation are losing the necessary mindset to question 'bargains'. I think both sides need to sit back and consider their actions.

I think I saw somewhere on youtube the Chinese using some sort of machine which was scanning a coin and at the same time creating the fake. 

Saxby's feedback. A good reference of things to avoid.

Check the feedback to see what he has sold. Not all items he sells are copies, but a good number are. The content will be changing with time, but as old habits die hard the reference should be useful as long as he is allowed to sell on eBay (who won't do anything about him)

Hi,

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask you about a one farthing coin which I bought on ebay last week. As you can see on the picture the die axis is shifted by about 10°. Now I am not quite sure weather it is a counterfeit coin or not. I bought it from the e bay seller JVP-Munten with 6275 positive reviews, so I can t believe that he is selling counterfeit coins. One could see the turn of the die axis on the picture on e bay, but I didn t notice it. The coin was also only 1,10 EUro and 3 Euros shipping.

thx, Simon

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

It's normal that some coins have a small amount of rotation, so it's not fake in that regard. Looks good to me. 

42 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It's normal that some coins have a small amount of rotation, so it's not fake in that regard. Looks good to me. 

I'd agree with Nordle ...

Welcome to the Forum SSB :) It offers a sane antidote to the madness of eBay, amongst many other things! :)

it seems whatever you linked Seuk has been taken down from eBay or the link isn't working

There seems to be some problem with the link to the norwegian forum - however the link to eBay should work.
Here's a link to the skilling coin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/European-Norway-Dansk-Silver-Coin-1-skilling-1658-Norge-FREE-SHIPPING/122020821143?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D041b3ca86b48474e928987dffa46cf30%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D122020793853 - He has some anglo-saxon coins for sale which looks fake to me too.

Interesting attempt at the portrait of the Queen.

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to about fakes and how to spot them. the information on the web seems to be very unsatisfactory (the issue seems to be brushed under the carpet with check the weight, feel, smell, magnet test, learn from experience etc.) and was hoping someone could point me towards any useful resources. Perhaps anyone connected to the BNTA?

I'm sure it's fine but just curious about this slabbed coin and wondered what others thought? Hopefully the download is clear enough. To my relatively untrained eye, from what I've managed to read, it would appear to have all the hallmarks of casting or something of that ilk.

Can anyone explain the raised and incuse divots appearing on both sides of the coin under magnification?

On the obverse, particularly around the high cheek and along the ear. I've seen this on a few of these 1934 crowns now and it does not seem to me to be natural wear! FYI this is a proof example.

Also on the reverse, the vertical beading in the middle of the crown shows signs of wear with what appears to be a small divot in the middle of each bead?

Thanks in advance to the experts out there who can put me to rights!

1934 cr ob.jpg

1934 cr rev.jpg

Looks iffy to me. I don't have a 1934, only a 1928, but according to Davies the reverse dies should be the same for both years. Compared to this one the KG relative to the teeth is wrong. This one has the K above a tooth, mine is mostly over the space. I think the edge milling is also different. It is in lower relief with broader lines than my regular one. i.e. it's crap. Proof milling is frequently razor sharp. The number of raised lines between the two reference points appears to be 21 or possibly plus a half. My edge looks to have an extra line. The legend aligns differently with respect to the teeth in this area as well.

You say it's a proof, so are the fields, milling and other details right?

1934 crown edge milling.jpg

Hi Rob,

I only say it's a proof because the TPG in question has attributed it as so - my immediate reaction was it's not a proof based on sharpness of strike (edges and teeth being the first place I looked as you already mention), although I haven't seen enough to know for sure.

I seem to recall someone on the board who had plenty mentioning that the strike on the proofs was particularly poor making them difficult to spot. 

7 hours ago, Rob said:

I don't have a 1934, only a 1928, but according to Davies the reverse dies should be the same for both years.

Having looked at some other examples, it seems that the 1927 and 1928 wreath crowns have the slightly different reverse.

A possible 1882 hc fake in a slab? I'm looking at the bubbles around the neck area on the portrait.

1882 hc 1.jpg

1882 hc.jpg

Could be and more likely is a rusted die. 1882 is an odd year. The Royal Mint replaced Boulton and Watt's presses in this year and the mint was generally updated, so they had to outsource the bronze to Heaton and although silver was struck, is generally scarce for this date. It would not be surprising for the dies to be used intermittently, particularly in this year given the circumstances.

They look like rust spots, and not casting bubbles.

Edited by Rob

Yes those do most certainly appear to be rust spots on the die that have struck the flans leaving the raised spots.

PS - I will look up my proof 1934 and do a denticle count as well as see the other details. Hadn't seen this  post till now. Sorry.

My 1882 halfcrown has the same die rust spots.

This one from vickysilver

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG