British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The German Ebay site states that is not permitted to sell replicas of Coins however the problem is to convince Ebay that these coins are fake?

I did not notice the gkcoins watermark but even that is not enough to prove that the 1887 set is a fake as the now seller could have bought the set and is reselling!

Who is gkcoins and who did they sell the set to?

Every time I see these replica coins on Ebay I report the items perhaps all members of this forum should do the same, I don't know if it does any good but perhaps a large amount of reports on these items may do some good. In general these items are counterfeits and can be used to defraud and I always thought it was illegal to counterfeit coins of the realm but I don't know if this applies to demonetized coins.

In the US I believe it is legal to sell reproduction coins but they must be marked as such. I know this would not stop a truly dishonest person but could help to keep some of this material off Ebay.

I'm not sure about if they are fakes but he has definitly used completed auction photo's. That 1903 HC sold a few weeks back for £1500ish

I see two people leaving feedback state the coins they received are fakes.

Edited by Michael-Roo

I wonder quite what they were expecting. Low feedback seller from China, selling via German eBay. Doesn't get more iffy than that.

I wonder quite what they were expecting. Low feedback seller from China, selling via German eBay. Doesn't get more iffy than that.

Indeed. One born every minute etc….

Just joined. I like to correspond with any experts here on fakes for English.Irish and Scottish coins between 1500-1800 on a new book I am publishing called Forgotten Coins of the American Colonies- Revisited. As some of you know this book mostly dealt with counterfeit British/Irish halfpence of George II/George III. In this book there will be a short chapter on these as these have or currently have been studied. One chapter which I will devote 75 pages will be represenative fakes. As an example this member SEUK and his post to these 3 Shilling Bank Token fakes to Ingley is the kind of material I like to post into this new book.

I have over 300 top end world counterfeits already fully XRF analyzed and will use some of these pieces for this chapter. I need further in-depth information or RECOMMENDATIONS you English collectors would think noteworthy. Not really Ashmore types composed of german silver but more CC's of the period.

My E-Mail is johnmenc@optonline.net Send me pics and information and if noteworthy like Seuk I will give it strong consideration. Even though Seuk's is post 1800 its noteworthy.

Questions?

John Lorenzo

Numismatist

United States

FAKE ANNE 1706 r&P HALFCROWN

thought it looked strange -- Ebay 321622906291 seller calls it a "replica" --

its getting a few bids and it soon be on again with " replica " omitted I suspect

Is this been seen before, I cannot remember seeing a Anne fake

post-6970-0-39581800-1419587108_thumb.jp

post-6970-0-28595100-1419587128_thumb.jp

I haven't seen a confirmed fake Anne, either! Though we did have a long discussion on here a while ago about an Anne Crown (I think) - hair detail was the discussion point!

can't remember who posted the coin?

Lol, the one Numismatist posted does'nt even look real, sorry but if you bought this then more fool who would

The pre-union R&P issue crowns used a filled VIGO obverse die in some instances, though whether that die was also used for the rarer plumes issue is currently uncertain.

Interesting - these Annes do all look like modern Chinese fakes and not late 19th or 20thC types - at all.

John Lorenzo

Numismatist

United States

Scarry - so many fakes - wonder if ive bought some - very useful thread

I highlighted this inthe ebay thread frim Nicks link, but the same seller also has a fake 1864 die 64 florin for sale

How do you reconise these are fakes?

a. The replicas fail to recreate the prooflike quality.

b. They also struggle to replicate the edge lettering.

c. It comes from China.

Is this a new type of 1763 Fake Shilling

Ebay 1716 7515 9718 Stunning UNC been in his collection 35 years

and only ever handled with gloves

post-6970-0-05187800-1423912332_thumb.jp