British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Another Gothic Crown from China. Winning bidder had n**p in his name and has a 2695 feedback and left feedback for the seller on 21.05. Feedback was left in English and was happy with it. I'm just wondering if we'll see it pop up in the UK to be sold as genuine. Keep um peeled

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121337952501?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D121337952501%26_rdc%3D1

I've just emailed Lockdales about Lot #1039 (Charles I silver shilling) in their next sale. Has the same broken inner circle as Dave's Scottish purchase.

1039-20146201592_original.jpg

The groat afaik is fine.

It's not the worst effort I've seen by a long shot...any reasons why this particular coin?

Rarity probably Stewie

This is up for sale in the next DNW sale, would it worry anyone that the tops are missing on the OBV legend and there's a scratch coming from the kings mouth?

post-5057-0-86986400-1403469124_thumb.jp

This is up for sale in the next DNW sale, would it worry anyone that the tops are missing on the OBV legend and there's a scratch coming from the kings mouth?

Yes, the shape of the 6 is also wrong, which is the reason mine was rejected by CGS

Yep looks dodgy.

Try Alibaba.com and this is the tip on the iceberg.

TPG,Auction houses are easily duped.

This forum is probably the best safety net due to our wide expertise.

Chris....do a book on known fakes.

• Like 1

Chris....do a book on known fakes.

That's a very good idea Peter.

• Like 1

My opinion is that it would be quite a surprising fake considering 1) it's not a major rarity and 2) the condition is not too special. But who knows, these days? If Chinese, neither 1) nor 2) applies.

Pretty certain the Charles I shilling is fake. The rest ..well, I'm not sure about them, but they aren't my area. Anyone any views?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/millfield2002/m.html?item=331254698500&hash=item4d20519204&pt=UK_Coins_BritishHammered_RL&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

First and last both look pretty porous. Not sure about the second because the picture is too blurred.

The shape of the bell shilling is the same as the ones on forgerynetwork.

All are quite toned dirty and so it's difficult to be 100% from the photos. But I wouldn't buy any of them .. or advise anyone else to.

:(

I'm sure as a forum we can give you bullets. :ph34r:

CGS,PCGS,NCG,DNW,London Coins be warned.

I had an example of a very similar H8 groat, will look at my images when I get in!

Bit of a coincidence that all 3 coins are of known fakes, it must be said!

On the subject of fakes, the BNTA have just launched a website for members with user name and password protection, where known fakes are documented and shown (I assume, I haven't looked yet). Apparently users can also add fakes to the database. The information is not available to the public and this is the reason:

After much thought, and consultation with many of the BNTA members, the Council decided that the best route to take with the forgeries database would be to protect the information in a “members only” section of the website. This means that the information is not shared with the public and genuine collectors are not put off from building their collections by knowledge of the quantity of that forgeries exist. The best way to battle this problem is to educate ourselves as members of the BNTA and feed this down to our clients when helping and advising them to buy coins. So, this concept boosts one of the core ideas of the BNTA : that collectors should look for the BNTA symbol when buying coins and are advised to seek out BNTA dealers when building a collection.

The private nature of this information also adds value to your membership of the BNTA, with access to information that you would not be able to easily find elsewhere.

I think that's a wrong decision and it seems to suggest that collectors are a bit silly and that they all really need a BNTA god to offer guidance. Many novices do need guidance, but surely the best way to battle any problem is to educate EVERYONE, not just a minority group of UK coin dealers. It would be nice if everyone was aware of the BNTA and that collectors actively looked for the BNTA symbol, but I suspect of all the coin sales on the internet in the world, less than 1% is made by a BNTA member and that nearly 100% of the coin buyers either don't know who the BNTA is, or don't really give a toss!

• Like 2

On the subject of fakes, the BNTA have just launched a website for members with user name and password protection, where known fakes are documented and shown (I assume, I haven't looked yet). Apparently users can also add fakes to the database. The information is not available to the public and this is the reason:

After much thought, and consultation with many of the BNTA members, the Council decided that the best route to take with the forgeries database would be to protect the information in a “members only” section of the website. This means that the information is not shared with the public and genuine collectors are not put off from building their collections by knowledge of the quantity of that forgeries exist. The best way to battle this problem is to educate ourselves as members of the BNTA and feed this down to our clients when helping and advising them to buy coins. So, this concept boosts one of the core ideas of the BNTA : that collectors should look for the BNTA symbol when buying coins and are advised to seek out BNTA dealers when building a collection.

The private nature of this information also adds value to your membership of the BNTA, with access to information that you would not be able to easily find elsewhere.

I think that's a wrong decision and it seems to suggest that collectors are a bit silly and that they all really need a BNTA god to offer guidance. Many novices do need guidance, but surely the best way to battle any problem is to educate EVERYONE, not just a minority group of UK coin dealers. It would be nice if everyone was aware of the BNTA and that collectors actively looked for the BNTA symbol, but I suspect of all the coin sales on the internet in the world, less than 1% is made by a BNTA member and that nearly 100% of the coin buyers either don't know who the BNTA is, or don't really give a toss!

I agree!

Any witholding of info regarding copies can only lead to their further distribution by people who have a focussed moral compass unwittingly passing them on as good. For all the people who pass on copies even when told they aren't genuine, there are a good few people who will withdraw them from sale. Restricting info serves no useful purpose in restricting supplies of copies, which ought to be the first objective.

If the BNTA had a monopoly, or near monopoly of dealers then it might work, but with the BNTA being no more than a zit on the face of world numismatics, I think it is self-defeating.

I just logged in to have a look. So far there are 5 English fakes (3 milled, 2 hammered), 1 Chinese and 2 Ancient Greek listed, so currently very much in its infancy, it would seem.

They could always add in http://www.rpcoins.co.uk/c2%20pics/01874.jpg which I have described as such on the site, but it doesn't come from a BNTA member, so is presumably unwelcome? There are a lot of people who have done a lot of work in this department. The existing thing on the forgery network, SEUK's contemporary forgeries, the ongoing monitoring done by Richard and a dozen or more other people....... Is it just a case of my forgery is better than yours?

There are many sites with forgeries listed. Far better would be a list of existing references than reinventing the wheel.

Edited by Rob

There are quite a few mentioned within this forum, too, over the years. It is no longer 1973 and thankfully there are search engines to aid people in finding lists of known forgeries etc.

Getting a current list of fakes is easy. Just do an eBay search for coins with the description containing the word genuine.

• Like 2

There are quite a few mentioned within this forum, too, over the years.

This was my thought exactly as I was reading through this thread!

I'd say this group will produce and find out far more information than any 'privileged' minority of coin 'experts' will ever do!