British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thanks for posting the photo. Very helpful.

Forewarned is forearmed.

The other very scary thing in collecting is the growing number of slabbed fakes.....that is, not just the coin but the TPG slab is a fake too....

Just look up the slab number on the appropriate web site NGC, CGS, PCGS and check the image is the same as your coin...

Just look up the slab number on the appropriate web site NGC, CGS, PCGS and check the image is the same as your coin...

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I've never been able to access any images at all from a US TPGC?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I've never been able to access any images at all from a US TPGC?

Try these: PCGS and NGC. Not all records have pictures, but a lot do.

I felt certain I responded to this?? Did we lose anything during the crossover?

Thanks, Nick! :)

I felt certain I responded to this?? Did we lose anything during the crossover?

Thanks, Nick! :)

You did respond, but I think it was in another thread.

If you do not know about the I in QUI close to the top LHS of the shield on the reverse of the coin it convincing as a genuine 1905 halfcrown.. Buyer beware.

If you do not know about the I in QUI close to the top LHS of the shield on the reverse of the coin it convincing as a genuine 1905 halfcrown.. Buyer beware.

Also the broken R in EDWARDVS...

So.. what do we think?

eBay 321425722637 .. CGS graded 45. UIN 22437 (Sorry, had tolink to photobucket as the stupid forum won't let me link direct ..

_572_zpsf285747d.jpg

And a pic from forgerynetwork:

showimage_zpse4c48546.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Another eBay 191205699916. Not CGS slabbed:

_57_zps68ddcf5e.jpg

Another eBay 191205699916. Not CGS slabbed:

_57_zps68ddcf5e.jpg

I like the Provenance...."A old London Collection"

Yet Forgery Network say it's from Museum Reproductions. The one on MR is completely different, so if it is then it must have been old stock.

It's hard to tell from the images! The one in the CGS capsule appears more authentic from the other one, but that might just be the artificial lighting.

Look like similar dies on a quick scan! I've actually got one of these, will get on the PC later! :)

Grrrr, took me a whole hour to get online tonight! Anyway, here's my example (top left) along with the CGS coin, forgery Network coin, etc.!

They all look to be from the same die, which either means CGS has slipped up, or the H7 groats from this die were the most numerous and one was copied at some point, leaving a potential pile of fakes from this die, as well as a number of the originals from the original die, complicating things somewhat!

If it was my CGS coin I'd rip it out under video, weigh, tap, measure, and silver test it! However, it definitely looks better than the other 3, but it's not a significant difference in quality, I have to say! Having said all that, mine's very obviously thicker, and I'd expect CGS to be at least THAT good, as much as it annoys me to say so!

H715_zps6f515622.jpg

What is interesting, though, is all 4 coins, including the CGS coin, show the same weaknesses of strike, pointing at the CGS coin as being either fake, or the pirate coin itself from which the copies were made?

Is it for sale?

Is it for sale?

It certainly is. And on the site of that reputable dealer, Mr eBay no less.

Yours for £525. Or an acceptable offer ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321425722637?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wow, take a look at the reverse, that's majorly suspect! What do you all think?

Edit: I've just taken a look at the CGS images AND valuation of £375!

Edited by Coinery

If you look at Stuarts picture post 41 three of the coins have a small nick coming from Henrys mouth. The last picture i don't see that little feature. I'm inclined to say the CGS one is kosha but the other 3 are'nt due to the 1 same nick in the same place on the other three coins.

The other thing regarding CGS valuations, do they actually update them yearly? If not the website valuation could be out hence the difference in the 2 prices. These Henry pieces seem to have been doing well of late (the better stuff that is)

Edited by azda

The fakes must have come from the CGS coin, however (if it truly is the real deal)! All the weak regions/legend letters are exactly the same!

Another point of interest is, what does CGS compensate for, in the event of a fake coin being uncovered? Their valuation, or the amount you paid?

I think the Slabbed one is Genuine, looks a bit more crisp and has a slight tone to it.

I've just emailed Lockdales about Lot #1039 (Charles I silver shilling) in their next sale. Has the same broken inner circle as Dave's Scottish purchase.

1039-20146201592_original.jpg

The groat afaik is fine.

Edited by TomGoodheart

How much more evidence is required?

1039-20146201592_original_zpse993240a.jp