British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Conflicting evidence Class 3g or 4a

Can anyone enlighten me, I'm finding conflicting evidence when using Withers, Wren, and Spink (I left North out of it, as adding the fourth book just blows it completely).

The below coin has a Class 3g crown, which is used on 3g and Class 4.

- Withers says Large Commas for 4a (rather than the more usual crescents of 3g).

- Withers says Cross Potent for classes 1-5(Long Serifs present on 3-5), however, Wren says Cross Pattee for Class 4

- Withers says egg-waisted S for 4a, but Spinks says 'late S always used', which I think mine is (as illustrated in Withers, though North's late S is actually the egg-waited kind).

On balance of evidence I think 4a, mostly on account of the obverse comma-wedges and complete crown, which starts to break down from 4b onwards, and also the Spink claim of late S?

A lot of conflicting evidence, generally, of which I have only listed some...what's the consensus?

Actually I said I wasn't going to involve North, but 3g for them is early or late S (late meaning egg-waisted for them) with varying stops!

EdwardPenny20_zpse8c80fbb.jpg

EdwardPenny40_zpsf96b738b.jpg

I think I go with Withers. The Galata guide is very helpful particularly giving good pictures. The EDI series is never ending you can hardly buy two coins the same when you get close in.

Just out of curiosity Stuart, at what Point is Spink better than North for ID ing these coins. Has North left something out that Spink has wrote in their guide?

Just out of curiosity Stuart, at what Point is Spink better than North for ID ing these coins. Has North left something out that Spink has wrote in their guide?

I don't think either, or any, of the books appear to stand alone very well, though the Withers Galata guide would definitely be my first choice, over Wren, North, Etc.

I know very little about the early medieval pennies, so cannot really say who's right or wrong from my own personal experience, hence the post!

There is a lot of conflicting evidence, particularly at the 3g/class 4 crossover, I think because they share the same crown, and maybe this is unusual in the identification of the types, I just don't know enough about them!

I'm feeling a little bias re North, because it's bloody useless for Elizabeth...I'd have a Spink's any day of the week for that, BCW notwithstanding!