British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

We all have daydreams about coins or we wouldn't be here, I guess. But it's rare for me to have actual dreams about coins. So after having TWO this week, I thought I'd share them with you.

In the first, I acquired an 1882 London Mint penny. Despite being pretty worn (only half the legend visible), I managed to get it authenticated by no less a personage than Michael Freeman! He pointed out that he could easily tell it from the "grizzled" mouth (that's 'grizzle' as in what a baby does, not old-timer wrinkled).

So far, so near normal..

The second one must have been set when they changed the size of the 5p (early 90s). I noticed that instead of the Mint issuing a huge number of small 5p's all dated 1990, they had simply reduced every withdrawn coin to the new small size. I was picking tiny Victoria and George V "shillings" out of my change, when I noticed a type I never saw before : a monarch with a Rolling Stones head of hair, and the attribution was Edward V VI VII and VIII!

Anyone else had a dream about coins that's worth recounting?

What, no-one ever had a dream about coins??

It's only been 5 days, I'm trying! :D

Some ripe Stilton before you go to bed, with a Spink as your bedside read. That should do it!

Some ripe Stilton before you go to bed, with a Spink as your bedside read. That should do it!

Ahhh, that'll be it, I've been drinking a bottle of port every night!

Anyone else had a dream about coins that's worth recounting?
:D

I often have a dream where I find and pick up coins from the street,some of which are our currency and some of which are foreign. I suspect this has little to do with coins and more to do with money!

Alchy lol. I only have penthouse at the side of my bed and an old sock :D

no, i live the dreams of rare finds turning up :D

So THAT's where you store your coin collection!

So THAT's where you store your coin collection!

So THAT'S how you get that nice old cabinet tone, you old scallywag! ;)

Edited by Coinery

Cabinet friction? Let's not go there...

Cabinet friction? Let's not go there...

:lol:

Thrupenny bits :P

The ones that bob? :D

The ones that bob? :D

post-462-096424000 1370177238_thumb.jpg

Back on topic, and a true story.....

I had a dream last night (the first I ever remember about coins) where I was in a small auction room with Just 3 people plus the auctioneer. One of them was a regular here, though I've never met him.

We were bidding on a 1797 penny in a CGS slab, graded UNC96 (I can't imagine one even exists).

It was incredibly slow bidding, between the regular here and another guy, so I jumped in with a much higher bid of £2150 (for some reason!).

Just at that moment the auctioneer took a tea break and I had time to reflect. I realised I didn't really want the coin, or to spend that much money, so was really hoping the regular here would come back and outbid me.

At that point I woke up, so never found out what happened!

Anyway, back in the real world, today I went to London Coins and bought 3 pennies but certainly didn't spend that much! :)

Well done :)

I look forward to the pickies.

My mother has just given me £3k (tax etc) so I am gagging at the bit. :)

Over the years at Xmas and birthdays when asked I have bought coins...seems to been a good idea :)

Anyway, back in the real world, today I went to London Coins and bought 3 pennies but certainly didn't spend that much! :)

Did you make a note of any prices? I had bids on a few things, mostly farthings. There were some nice ones in the sale.

I had a dream last night (the first I ever remember about coins) where I was in a small auction room with Just 3 people plus the auctioneer. One of them was a regular here, though I've never met him.

We were bidding on a 1797 penny in a CGS slab, graded UNC96 (I can't imagine one even exists).

It was incredibly slow bidding, between the regular here and another guy, so I jumped in with a much higher bid of £2150 (for some reason!).

Just at that moment the auctioneer took a tea break and I had time to reflect. I realised I didn't really want the coin, or to spend that much money, so was really hoping the regular here would come back and outbid me.

Sure you weren't bidding on a 1797 gold proof twopence? :D

Sure you weren't bidding on a 1797 gold proof twopence? :D

That would have made more sense! Amazing how clear the dream was at the time and how it fades now.

Did you make a note of any prices? I had bids on a few things, mostly farthings. There were some nice ones in the sale.

Only for the pennies, Rob. I have all of those prices.

I picked up the 1853 (Peck 1503) & 1806 (Peck 1328) proofs, both in nFDC, together with the 1853 (Peck 1500) circulation strike in UNC

Was pleased to see the 1926ME in UNC "best we've seen" go for £3k, as it's not as good as mine :)

The other two expensive pennies were a Freeman 38 for £2.4k (actually quite a reasonable price) and an 1860 with E over P in PENNY (quite a rough coin) for £3k

i once dreamed i saw a 1933 penny on the floor.

also dreamt i found a old coin (1600's) at school. that had a real ife influence though.

I wish i had 2 1933 pennys. 1 to keep , 1 to glue onto the floor outside a auction place for coins

1 to glue onto the floor outside a auction place for coins

LOL Welcome back Hello. Haven't seen you for a while!

Ahh so you were one of my competitors!! ;)

Ahh so you were one of my competitors!! ;)

Quite possibly. Were you there, and which pennies caught your eye?